battery longevity

kolosy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'08 E60 M5, '12 E92 M3, '22 X5 M50i (hers)
Country flag
hi folks! long time bmw guy (though i did have a 987 S for a hot second) but i've been really digging the Taycan and am thinking of jumping ship. One thing that concerns me (and this is probably a more general EV question than a Taycan question in particular) is the lifetime of the battery pack. Are there estimates on charge cycles or capacity loss over time? What are people's expectations around that and potentially having to replace it?
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have read somewhere of a rule of thumb saying 1000 full cycles, or a bit more than that, for the automotive lifetime of LiIon batteries with today's chemistries. That should be some 350000 kilometers. i had a Tesla model S 2015, drove it 160000 km and degradation by that time was well within single digit percent.

So I am not worried. And if the Taycan battery lasts less than that, I expect Porsche to be enough interested in keeping their long-life image to offer replacement batteries - which will sure be expensive but probably worth it. And they may be much better than today1s batteries.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
@kolosy, everything I have read, including a group that tracks the data since 2012, and a friend who has 2 Tesla Model S since 2013, that battery will degrade in single digit percentages 5-7% after 10 years, so this specific aspect did not concern me after making my decision to purchase, and battery replacements continue to drop in price with the latest data point noted being $60K. The concern is more about other components failing much sooner such as the heater, so there may be something next that will fail at scale, that they did not test very well with all of their desert and arctic runs.

OP
OP

kolosy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'08 E60 M5, '12 E92 M3, '22 X5 M50i (hers)
Country flag
I have read somewhere of a rule of thumb saying 1000 full cycles, or a bit more than that, for the automotive lifetime of LiIon batteries with today's chemistries. That should be some 350000 kilometers. i had a Tesla model S 2015, drove it 160000 km and degradation by that time was well within single digit percent.

So I am not worried. And if the Taycan battery lasts less than that, I expect Porsche to be enough interested in keeping their long-life image to offer replacement batteries - which will sure be expensive but probably worth it. And they may be much better than today1s batteries.
1000 full cycles is what i'm used to seeing cell phones quoted at.. makes sense since the chemistry is similar. i guess i'm wondering how that translates to the standard duty cycle a car would see vs a phone since a phone gets mostly discharged daily (so that translates to a lifetime of 3 years-ish) vs a car that probably shouldn't...

the anecdotal data is helpful though, thank you both.