BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
Hi! I was wondering and the lady from Porsche dealership couldn't explain it clearly. Probably she didn't know it either :D

What are the benefits of using Mobile Charger Connect?
My car is on it's way and I've spaced it with optional on-board AC charger 22 kW and I'm preparing my garage electrical connection for 32A 400V with specific plugin (EU). And to be honest I don't get the whole charging at home thing what rates with which equipment I can get.

Can the basic charger which comes with the car as standard charge at 22 kWh rate? You only change the end wire for bigger plugin? or I have to buy Mobile Charger Connect to charge at 22 kWh instead 11 kWh? I understand both of the chargers can be put on wall in wall box?
Can I manage charging options from Porsche App no matter which charger I'm using even 3rd party chargers or maybe I have to own Mobile Charger Connect to have access to some options?

Thanks for info! :)
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi! I was wondering and the lady from Porsche dealership couldn't explain it clearly. Probably she didn't know it either :D

What are the benefits of using Mobile Charger Connect?
My car is on it's way and I've spaced it with optional on-board AC charger 22 kW and I'm preparing my garage electrical connection for 32A 400V with specific plugin (EU). And to be honest I don't get the whole charging at home thing what rates with which equipment I can get.

Can the basic charger which comes with the car as standard charge at 22 kWh rate? You only change the end wire for bigger plugin? or I have to buy Mobile Charger Connect to charge at 22 kWh instead 11 kWh? I understand both of the chargers can be put on wall in wall box?
Can I manage charging options from Porsche App no matter which charger I'm using even 3rd party chargers or maybe I have to own Mobile Charger Connect to have access to some options?

You need the PMCC to be able to deliver 22kW (19.6kW). As you have the 22kW AC onboard charger option then you are perfectly placed to take full advantage.

Standard Porsche Mobile Charger Plus has a max of 9.6kW.

Beyond that there is a touch screen interface and is WiFi enabled.

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
You need the PMCC to be able to deliver 22kW (19.6kW). As you have the 22kW AC onboard charger option then you are perfectly placed to take full advantage.

Standard Porsche Mobile Charger Plus has a max of 9.6kW.

Beyond that there is a touch screen interface and is WiFi enabled.
Thank you for confirmation. Do you know maybe what exactly gives you Wi-Fi for charger? I thought I can manage charging from Porsche app connecting to car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thank you for confirmation. Do you know maybe what exactly gives you Wi-Fi for charger? I thought I can manage charging from Porsche app connecting to car.
the charger itself can report charging stats to the login.porsche.com portal - no charging control is provided - all in all it’s pretty pointless IMHO - the Porsche Wall charger is a better option in my opinion and then keep the mobile charger for road trip duty

the PMCC is fairly overpriced for what it is.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

You will need a dedicated 100 amp circuit in your home to charge at 19kw. Sounds like you're in Europe so you guys may have more access to 20kw public chargers but in NA these are rare.

I find dealers know very little about EV charging and frequently push these extras on customers who can't actually use them. For example, my dealer tried to push the 150kw 400V DC option on me when I know we do not have 150kw DC chargers (apart from tesla which we can't use yet).

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
Why do you think it requires 100A circuit? As afar as I know I need 32A 400V outlet for the charger. My home has 50A safety.
Edit I’m talking about 3-phase

Last edited:

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why do you think it requires 100A circuit? As afar as I know I need 32A 400V outlet for the charger. My home has 50A safety.
Edit I’m talking about 3-phase
Watt = voltage x amp. 32Amp x 400V = 12.8kw. Realistically the car will get about 11kw which is the standard AC charging on the taycan. Your set up sounds like the standard EU set up for level 2 AC charging.

The 100amp I was referring to is for NA as we are max 240V for domestic supply but the math is the same. 100amp x 240V = 24kw.

In order for you to charge at 22 kw at home, you'll need to increase your home power supply. But I understand you guys also have abundant public 22kw chargers so probably still a good option to have.

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
Watt = voltage x amp. 32Amp x 400V = 12.8kw. Realistically the car will get about 11kw which is the standard AC charging on the taycan. Your set up sounds like the standard EU set up for level 2 AC charging.

The 100amp I was referring to is for NA as we are max 240V for domestic supply but the math is the same. 100amp x 240V = 24kw.

In order for you to charge at 22 kw at home, you'll need to increase your home power supply. But I understand you guys also have abundant public 22kw chargers so probably still a good option to have.
Thanks I will check with my electrician. I will also have 2x22kW station at my office. We have a 100kW AC supply.

Edit
So if am correct @400V I have to go for around 50A to get 20kWh charging.

To be honest I don’t think neceser for home usage but the office station at 22kWh will be nice addition to quickly charge car after arrival.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Non essential really - some access to the PMCC itself for configuration but you'll rarely use it. It also provides hotspot access if WiFi not available.

It has nothing to do with updating the car as it has its own separate connection via LTE.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Each phase in Germany, France, ... has 230V.
So 3 phase means 3 * 230V * 32A = 22kW

@BartA Do you have fixed time based power tariffs? Or solar on your roof that you can use in your house? Then the Porsche Charger Connect with the Porsche Home Energy Management System may be useful. Because in that case it can charge your car for the lowest costs without you bothering about it.

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
btw is it possible to change charge % via Porsche app? e.g. I have set 85 max and decided for today to charge 100. Can I do this on app and car will charge further to 100%?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
There are three things you can use:

1. General and location based profiles: to set the minimum charge you want to reach as fast as possible (SoC from 25% up to 100%)
2. Timers: to set a maximum charge to be reached on a specific (recurring) time
3. Additionally you can switch on Direct Charge, which charges at full speed until 100% is reached or you turn it off.

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag

@BartA Do you have fixed time based power tariffs? Or solar on your roof that you can use in your house? Then the Porsche Charger Connect with the Porsche Home Energy Management System may be useful. Because in that case it can charge your car for the lowest costs without you bothering about it.
I have two tariffs to choose fixed or night cheaper and day more expensive. mostly I plan to charge in the office I the charging costs will stay in company.

I have 3 phase so I was correct. I can charge exactly as you said.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

PMC+ can also be connected to a HEM remember.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
PMC+ can also be connected to a HEM remember.
yes, but that will not support all the fancy features like charging with timers for the lowest price, as the pmc+ does not communicate via ISO15118 with the car.
Sponsored