First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Interesting stuff
I am 100% happy with Octopus Go but that is because my average mileage is much less than the 60 miles a day that I need 25kw a night in my 4 cheap hours.
I also run underfloor heating, washing machine and dishwasher and charge all devices between 00.30 and 04.30.
I use up to 40kw at 7.5p and as little as 5kw during the day.
The screenshot is yesterday, Monday 20th March.
Don’t write off Octopus Go. Focus yr mind on using electricity in the cheap 4 hours. I NEVER charge my car outside these hours and never wash bedding at high temperature or run a dryer.
So 7.5p night rate compensates +++ for the 34p day rate +++ for me.
I have read that the OVO cheap rate can be as little as 10p but it seems a bit flexi/random.
What is the higher rate with OVO?
How much less than 34p is it?
Cheers
Porsche Taycan Best electricity tariff for EV switching today D6B38495-6DD4-4CB9-8D6D-20306ACA7C26
Sponsored

Last edited:

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think it is Octopus that needs to make their intelligent tariff compatible with the Taycan. I didn't think the Go tariff would provide any meaningful savings because of the circa 9p premium they add to the daytime rate and I didn't reckon I could shift much of my household consumption to 12.30 to 04.30 hours other than maybe the dishwasher and an occasional washing machine and tumble dryer use.
Hence I just decided to switch to OVO and chance my arm on being able to use Charge Anytime, which thankfully worked straight away on completion of the switch.
I recently switched to the Intelligent Ocotpus tariff. We 2 EV's and have an Ohme charger that is 100% compatible together with a ChargePoint Home unit. While the Porsche is unable to connect directly to the Intelligent tariff having signed up to I simply set the ChargePoint Home to enable 6 hours from 11:30pm to 5:30am and thus the Porsche charges for 6 hours at 7,4kW. My Wife's Kona uses the Ohme to add up to 6 hours at the same time. All of this for 10p/kWh. Works for us as we can also run domestic appliances during the same 6 hour window :)

XKSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jag xk120, Jag XKSS, Defender, Taycan CT4, +bikes
Country flag
I moved my OVO account over to the Charge Anytime 2 weeks ago and it works a treat. You get 10p/kwh almost anytime (but only for EV charge NOT domestic use) and they rebate you at the end of the month. Very pleased thus far and just leave the car plugged in when I'm at home. My OVO standard deal is 37p daytime & 21p economy 7 rate, so the 10p anytime EV is a good saving.
Does not currently work with 3 phase supply or without a smart meter.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I moved my OVO account over to the Charge Anytime 2 weeks ago and it works a treat. You get 10p/kwh almost anytime (but only for EV charge NOT domestic use) and they rebate you at the end of the month. Very pleased thus far and just leave the car plugged in when I'm at home. My OVO standard deal is 37p daytime & 21p economy 7 rate, so the 10p anytime EV is a good saving.
Does not currently work with 3 phase supply or without a smart meter.
Hmmm. I switched, asked for a smart meter and told i can't have one. No explanation why.

Then i discovered they'd totally cocked up all of my accounts and got a lot of 'computer says no' trying to fix stuff. Waiting on the complaints department before i even start the 'why can't i have a smart meter' conversation.

Shigura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 (1st car 1958 Nash Metropolitan)
Country flag
Can you let me know how you applied please? I was looking at it but it suggested online that only available to existing ovo customers currently? Thanks.
I clarified a few points by phoning OVO's EV helpline on 0330 303 5059 and then filled in the online quote form for Simpler Energy. I was even able to select my start date for change over to coincide with the end of my Octopus Fixed Tariff. I was not an existing customer.

Oct Go old fixed rate Oct Go New Int.Oct OVO Anytime
Lower Rate 7.5p 12p 10p 10p
Higher Rate 35.05p 41.64p 41.64p 33.72p
Per Day 47.86p 47.59p 47.59p 49.14p

Rates relate to my postcode

Shigura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm. I switched, asked for a smart meter and told i can't have one. No explanation why.

Then i discovered they'd totally cocked up all of my accounts and got a lot of 'computer says no' trying to fix stuff. Waiting on the complaints department before i even start the 'why can't i have a smart meter' conversation.
I waited for months for a smart meter from British Gas and was told that the delay was due to the shortage of semi-conductors.

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Taycan delivery is imminent so in the process of deciphering which supplier and tariff will best suit my requirements.
The OVO Charge Anytime is looking promising. Could do with clarification on one point:

Let's assume the EV Charging Anytime part works as planned and pretty much takes care of itself. Charges as and when the tech decides and I receive the reduced 10p rate for said charge. Great!

Now, how does one integrate their use of "expensive" appliances into this? (washing machine etc) or is it EV Charging ONLY that benefits from a cheap rate and all other household usage is at the full Unit rate?

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I recently switched to the Intelligent Ocotpus tariff. We 2 EV's and have an Ohme charger that is 100% compatible together with a ChargePoint Home unit. While the Porsche is unable to connect directly to the Intelligent tariff having signed up to I simply set the ChargePoint Home to enable 6 hours from 11:30pm to 5:30am and thus the Porsche charges for 6 hours at 7,4kW. My Wife's Kona uses the Ohme to add up to 6 hours at the same time. All of this for 10p/kWh. Works for us as we can also run domestic appliances during the same 6 hour window :)
Hi Tony, could confirm if the Ohme charger works with your Taycan, reason is that I need to ‘pull the trigger’ with a home charger purchase/install. Am currently with Octopus Energy and have two EV’s - a Tesla and the wife has a Renault, we have replacements on order, 4S and a Cupra Born. My trying to work out if I should go for the Ohme Pro, (I know the don’t support Porsche at the moment) or just stick to a basic charger, so was interested to see if you have used your Ohme on your Taycan just to charge for set times?

Shigura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Taycan delivery is imminent so in the process of deciphering which supplier and tariff will best suit my requirements.
The OVO Charge Anytime is looking promising. Could do with clarification on one point:

Let's assume the EV Charging Anytime part works as planned and pretty much takes care of itself. Charges as and when the tech decides and I receive the reduced 10p rate for said charge. Great!

Now, how does one integrate their use of "expensive" appliances into this? (washing machine etc) or is it EV Charging ONLY that benefits from a cheap rate and all other household usage is at the full Unit rate?
Only the power supplied to the car as recognised by the app is discounted. So other items like washing machines are charged at the full rate. I have been in the habit of using my high load machines on a timer over night but now on changing to Charge Anytime I will revert back to normal hours.

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Only the power supplied to the car as recognised by the app is discounted. So other items like washing machines are charged at the full rate. I have been in the habit of using my high load machines on a timer over night but now on changing to Charge Anytime I will revert back to normal hours.
Thank you for confirming.

I'm currently on British Gas Standard Variable:

Standing charge: 50.308p per day*

Unit rate: 32.400p per kWh

British Gas Electric Driver Tariff is:

Standing charge: 45.860p per day

Peak unit rate: 42.740p per kWh

Off Peak unit rate: 12.000p per kWh

OVO Simpler Energy Quote:

Unit Rate32.8p per kWh
Standing Charge45.76p per day

My only high-load usage is the washing machine 3 times a week and Dishwasher every other day.

Therefore I do think the OVO is stacking up to be the best prospect

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
SSE changed my account to Ovo a while ago and they have hassled me to fit a smart meter but the gas company fitter who replaced a leaky gas meter said they weren’t reliable in his experience so I haven’t bothered.
I do have solar cells and get around 60p/kWh for their generated power and it looks like I couldn’t have this charge anytime tariff anyway because of the solar cells.
At the moment I just stick to my standard OVO tariff.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Englishtony makes me chuckle
Surely a reference?
Reminds me of The Fast Show's Swiss Tony
"Changing tariff is very much like..."
I see my fellow Lancastrian searching out the best deal

I am looking at Intelligent Octopus for the cheaper 10p night rate and 6 hours as
my Go contract ends July 13 and night time goes from 7.5p to 12p
Intelli night rate is 10p with the bonus of 2 extra hours.
Now my Audi can register like your Kona allows you to join.
Am I correct in assuming you have 2 home chargers?
Ohme and Chargepoint. I assume only one is registered with the Kona for Intelligent Octo?
I only have one 7kw home charger, Pod Point Solo Smart Charger.
Are you saying that after I have signed up to Intelli with the
Smart Meter - Audi Etron - Pod Point Solo Smart Charger combo that I could also
charge my Taycan at the 10p rate overnight rate at 7kw per hour with the Podpoint?
Or would the software recognise that it's NOT the Etron and charge me 41.64p
(I am sure I could still chuck in 12+ kw every night via the 3 pin plug and Porsche charger which would probably be enough for me anyway.)
Thanks
Ross

JasMK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 435d
Country flag
I've just completed the switch from Octopus Intelligent to OVO and added Charge Anytime. Process was easy, sad to let down Octopus as they do everything so well - but the 40p higher rate offsets the 10p rate too much and getting the wife to unload the washing machine at 3am was proving problematic...
Haven't done a charge yet and have a long trip to Wales tomorrow so hope it all works tonight :rolleyes:

In my estimation the charging rate is pretty much the same as Octopus but you don't get a 25% penalty on all the other electricity usage, so will reduce total cost and inconvenience I think.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
@JasMK - can I ask what charger you have?

From what I’m reading ref people changing over from Octupus to OVO leaves me wondering if I need to do the same as I have x2 EV’s and would be better to have longer low EV charging tariff….
Sponsored