Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I am sticking with 85% max, except on the day itself of a longer road trip. I got my Taycan last year when the recommendation was 85%, but did Porsche not lower that recommendation to 80% this year (2021)?
I am doing the same. I have a ’21 but have never read the zctual manual of the car, only the pdf version on the forum which is ’20 and I have read carefully cover to cover. Can’t imagine 80% or 85% makes a big difference. I’m also sticking to 85% for daily use and 100% only when requid (whiich will probably be max 5 times a year...).

I’m also not charging every day to 85%, if I drive only short distance and am for instance at 82% I also just leave it. As long as I’m +50% I don’t touch it (unless I know it’s needed).

I charge +90% of the time at home. PMCC, 7 kwh. Nice and slow. I use the 350kwh Ionity (EA in the US) only when really needed which is rarely. I will probably be driving to the South of France in summer , approx 1200km one way (800 miles)and quite some Ionity on the way, so that week I will be using them a lot, but for the rest no fzst charging.

I think this will give good long term battery life.

Last edited:

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
Ok, I've read all sorts of opinions but no clear consensus.

I drive about 20 miles daily 5-6 days per week. I almost always charge with AC ( 15 amp 120 circuit) so about 1.7 kW.

Should I plug in every night and charge the 5 - 10%?

Should I charge 75%, 80%, or 85%?

Does it really make any difference if I charge every day to 85%?

My SOH is 93%, 10K miles 2020 Turbo S.

Last edited:

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, the answer is not to worry. Enjoy the car, charge when you need to and don’t panic about battery Longevity. Early data suggests they’re more robust than you’d think

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok, I've read all sorts of opinions but no clear consensus.

I drive about 20 miles daily 5-6 days per week. I almost always change with AC ( 15 amp 120 circuit) so about 1.7 kW.

Should I plug in every night and charge the 5 - 10%?

Should I charge 75%, 80%, or 85%?

Does it really make any difference if I charge every day to 85%?

My SOH is 93%, 10K miles 2020 Turbo S.
Daily to 85% is totally fine.

Charge to a level that sees you through the week.

I charge 1 - 2 times a week out of habit and probably once will do.

The practice to be wary of is daily high power DC charging. Daily 270kW is likely to introduce more wear and tear than 50kW for example. As a rule of thumb up to 150kW is battery friendly for frequent charging.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Porsche has repeatedly advised against AC charging at 120v in multiple TSBs. Here is one of them: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10246461-0001.pdf

Also see: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...in-my-sons-house-and-will-it-be-enough.15860/
The problem may be the Porsche charger, which is a POS unfortunately. Everyone should get another charger.

Charging every day to 85% is not only fine, it may be the best way to charge. I have almost 40K miles and I've been charging every day for 3-1/2 years. I did have two cells replaced 6+ months ago, but the technician said they were probably defective from the start. Now I have 94% SOH and my 100% mileage estimate is over 300 miles when temp is over 65 deg F. This a Turbo S and 21" wheels with summer tires. Nothing like actual data IMO, so don't worry about things - 85% every day is fine.👍

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think the concensus view small and often (up to 85%) is good practice.

Up to 100% if you have an imminent longer journey.

Avoid leaving for longer times at a high or low state of charge.

Avoid fast charges - if you can.

But these are all 'best pratices' to preserve the battery, as the car should be able to deal with whatever you throw at it (charging wise).
Thats what the software and battery buffer are for.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
I think the consensus view small and often (up to 85%) is good practice.
I have consistently heard this about Tesla's best practices. Everything else seems to be in response to the charging cable mishap and other software glitches that should now be resolved.

The "best practice" of letting the battery discharge a certain amount to limit the charge cycles seems founded in an old-school gas station mentality or if you can't charge at home.

Letting the charge go down past where I can charge in 12 hours means paying constant attention to how much I charge every night and creates stress and range anxiety that just isn't necessary. Never having to think about range unless you are traveling more than 180 miles is wonderfully liberating, and in 12 years of owning electric cars, I have never needed to charge except on road trips. It's also interesting that I don't need more than a 15 amp circuit unless I try to time the charge to be off-peak which I do on a TOU program with the power company.

I understand that "Different batteries require different charging routines for optimal performance," but I don't see anything that addresses the battery chemistry for the 2020 and 2021 batteries. Maybe the 2020 batteries have a more limited number of charge cycles?

I wish there were simple "Porsche" best practices like Tesla's:

• "What is the best practice for charging an electric vehicle at home?
    We recommend plugging in every evening to top off the battery. If your utility has low, overnight electricity rates, set your charging schedule to match those off-peak times.
  • What percentage should I charge my battery to?
    Charge the battery to the appropriate charge limit for your Tesla vehicle based on the installed battery. To adjust the charge limit for your vehicle, open the Charging screen on your touchscreen or in the Tesla app and drag the slider. Different batteries require different charging routines for optimal performance. Your vehicle's touchscreen will display the recommended charge limit for your battery. For non-Tesla vehicles, refer to your vehicle manufacturer's guidance."

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Porsche's documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately there is a huge amount of helpful information and research/experience-based suggestions from the members on this forum.

Search and read has taught me a ton of best practices.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
Porsche's documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately there is a huge amount of helpful information and research/experience-based suggestions from the members on this forum.
I totally agree, but it also has the disadvantage of old information being repeated and taken as gospel when, in fact, that data is out of date and wrong.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
  • "What is the best practice for charging an electric vehicle at home?
  • What percentage should I charge my battery to?

Best practice is to operate between 45% and 70% with multiple small charges. Very informative video and the conclusions are based on data, not hearsay.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
So he says 75% AND/OR limit to 4.06V. I'll test 75% on my car and see what the voltage looks like.

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
So he says 75% AND/OR limit to 4.06V. I'll test 75% on my car and see what the voltage looks like.
Ok, I overcharged because of a timer anomoly. :(.

At 86% my cell voltage is below 4.06v so 85% charge is probably fine for my vehicle.

Porsche Taycan Best Practices for Charging? 1711253879032-go
Sponsored