Charging Best Practices

Deleted member 1697

so you just tell you don't use it ...
it's not a big deal between 20-85%soc
if you only use 10% of the battery each day, and furthermore if you charge it slowly at home .... there. is nothing more to do to get a Taycan lasting for years.

What if you charge it to 100% and drive it far away until you get 5%soc and charge it at 350KW and do it again ? it will last for years also

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Glad the OP posted this as I was wondering the same thing.

I have been charging to 80% but only when the level drops to about 50%.......reason being is 4hrs cheap rate electricity overnight. With home charging rate of c7kw/h it would mean all charges are at cheap rate.
But still keeping number of charges as low as possible.

Having read this thread, I will now do it more often (ABC), to make sure range is always available. ?

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Actually I do most of my charging at a 24kw DC charger...I wonder if the degradation will be similar to a 22Kw AC charger.

The thing I don't understand is why the Taycan can only set a limit to AC charging and not to DC charging...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
More frequent shallow charges are better than less frequent deep charges.
Do you have any data supporting this? One could argue that it is more beneficial to charge deeper once as the batteries need to warm up to an optimal charging temperature, so many shallow charges ends up in charging at not optimal charging temperature. I'm curious as to the source of your information.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This has been said a couple of times on the forum - there was a well known article published on electrik.com as far back as 2016 saying the exact opposite with proof.

A hacker was able to get into the Tesla battery management systems and confirm that they too were holding back capacity - in fact, in some cases it was simply to separate the commercial offerings.

Here is a breakdown from that time:
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable
We can also use the Katrina as a fully published example where Tesla admitted to software restricting the range of their batteries - they lifted it during that time to help people with Teslas in the path of the storm increase distance between charging.
There was nothing Tesla admitted during Katrina, they simply unlocked the software limited capacity for everyone. Everyone who bought a 60/60D/70/70D software limited car already knew that they could unlock the remaining capacity for a price, Tesla simply unlocked it for free during Katrina for a limited time. I used to own a Model S60D which I eventually unlocked to become S75D - from day one it was advertised on Tesla ordering page. The only thing that changes is that the unlock price went from $9,000 to $2,000, which was the main reason I paid to unlock it.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
My tip would be remember to close the charging port. Somehow the Taycan doesn’t look quite so cool when you drive off with it wide open as I’ve done on several occasions ?

OP
OP
madeyong

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
My tip would be remember to close the charging port. Somehow the Taycan doesn’t look quite so cool when you drive off with it wide open as I’ve done on several occasions ?
Electric or manual? If electric it should close on its own (i) 10 seconds after removing the plug, (ii) after 120 seconds if no plug was inserted and (iii) immediately after the car doors relock.
Porsche Taycan Charging Best Practices 62A32871-65DA-454E-8F78-78105622EFB7

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Electric or manual? If electric it should close on its own (i) 10 seconds after removing the plug, (ii) after 120 seconds if no plug was inserted and (iii) immediately after the car doors relock.
62A32871-65DA-454E-8F78-78105622EFB7.jpeg
Manual - in hindsight should have paid up for electric

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There was nothing Tesla admitted during Katrina, they simply unlocked the software limited capacity for everyone. Everyone who bought a 60/60D/70/70D software limited car already knew that they could unlock the remaining capacity for a price, Tesla simply unlocked it for free during Katrina for a limited time. I used to own a Model S60D which I eventually unlocked to become S75D - from day one it was advertised on Tesla ordering page. The only thing that changes is that the unlock price went from $9,000 to $2,000, which was the main reason I paid to unlock it.
Ive had a P85D and a P100D so I am quite familiar. The Taycan is SUCH a better car...

The point is that Tesla had a buffer in all batteries which became abundantly clear when they tapped into all reserve to help owners move to shelter. Prior to that it required a hacker to know for sure.

My statement is around the capacity being software restricted, not the public announcement of making changes to it. Which means as owners carefully restrict their charging to 80% its not really 80% of true capacity.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The point is that Tesla had a buffer in all batteries which became abundantly clear when they tapped into all reserve to help owners move to shelter. Prior to that it required a hacker to know for sure.
Can you share what previously unannounced reserves Tesla tapped into any during Katrina (i.e. what exactly became abundantly clear)? AFAIK all they did it unlock software limited versions (S60/60D/70/70D) which was no secret - everyone who bought one knew exactly they had this untapped capacity and that it could be unlocked for a price. During Katrina, they just got this unlock for free for a limited time. Tesla did not tap into the anti-brick buffers - we know about those from the community reverse engineering efforts, such as the data from Jason Hughes you quoted earlier.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To me that is the primary motivation for a powered charge port. My very first Tesla didn't have a powered charge port, so I know the pain of forgetting to close it (at least the car would warn me, but it's still a pain to have to get out of the car after getting in, especially when it rains).
Sponsored