Trw144

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Rather than tag on and hijack other threads I though I would start a new post for any questions I have over the coming months until I lock in...

This is my current build spec... http://www.porsche-code.com/PN6KDWQ3
Liking ice grey with the black detailing (as others have posted in the forum recently).

Undecided if I need the roof rails (a roof box might be handy occasionally, but my other car is a VW Transporter so will more likely use that if needed). Also, thoughts welcome on the steering wheel - I like the heated GT Sports steering wheel, but wasn't particularly fussed about the Sports Chrono (unless anyone can explain the benefits other than having a twisty knob to change mode). You cant have the heated GT steering wheel without the sports chrono, so effectively it costs £1000. Anybody gone with the standard and have pics. Input on the above welcome.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Rather than tag on and hijack other threads I though I would start a new post for any questions I have over the coming months until I lock in...

This is my current build spec... http://www.porsche-code.com/PN6KDWQ3
Liking ice grey with the black detailing (as others have posted in the forum recently).

Undecided if I need the roof rails (a roof box might be handy occasionally, but my other car is a VW Transporter so will more likely use that if needed). Also, thoughts welcome on the steering wheel - I like the heated GT Sports steering wheel, but wasn't particularly fussed about the Sports Chrono (unless anyone can explain the benefits other than having a twisty knob to change mode). You cant have the heated GT steering wheel without the sports chrono, so effectively it costs £1000. Anybody gone with the standard and have pics. Input on the above welcome.
Hi,

Are you sold on the Cross Turismo or potentially wait until tomorrow to see the new addition to the range which we are all expecting to be the Sport Turismo (no plastic add ons) variant and most likely in GTS trim?

Nice spec!

Some thoughts

1. Black door handles - personal choice but for resale perhaps not a popular one?
2. Rear light strip in black - not sure its worth the cost at the expense of something more desirable?
3. Electric sport sound - use once and then leave permanently off, gimmicky for some and I wouldn't spec again.
4. Steering wheel is slightly thicker at the quarter to 3 position - blink and you'd miss the difference. Suggest a visit to the dealers to try both - any Porsche model offers both if there isn't a Taycan to look at.
5. Steering wheel heating (regardless of which one).
6. Extended leather (a lot of plastic on display otherwise)
7. Rear axle steering (with power steering plus) - worthy option - power steering plus at a minimum is a must.
8. Sport Chrono - traditional option on high performance Porsches but on the Taycan I'm not sure it adds a lot. A lot of people like it and don't mind the 'wort' sat in the centre of the dash. It adds a little convenience offering 'Individual Mode' for your own car set up that you can dial in plus Sports Plus (in addition to Sport). For launch control you only need Sport (which is standard in all Taycans). I have it in my Boxster S and not in my Taycan 4S - I don't miss it but potentially would tick the box next time around. Drive modes can also be configured (without Sports Chrono) using the My Screen on the PCM which makes the transition from any mode a single touch rather than look for the wheel and turn in the appropriate direction. If you take the Sports Chrono then consider having the compass rather than the stop watch (I'm guessing you won't be racing).
9. 14-way seats (with the leather extension) - desirable.
10. Roof rails (in black) would look good IMHO and tend to be 'invisible' given the curvature of the car and blends well into the Pano roof. Roof Transport can be added but I think you need the rails to add - worth checking otherwise you could skip the rails and just add the crossbars. Configurator will flush out the dependency but I think you need rails by default.
11. Cables - You need to select a Mode 3 Public Cable (untethered public charging points) plus select the longest charging cable for your PMC+ (7m) as its free.
12. 150 kW 400V DC booster (Tesla network is 400V and is opening up for all to use) would be handy given the low cost. Some non-Tesla EVSE charging points > 50kW are 400V which you could take full advantage off if you have this option installed. Much debated on the forum but worth having 'just in case'.
13. Auto dimming interior / exterior mirrors - a must
14. If you stick with the standard seats then consider adding the driver memory feature
13. BOSE is a default must IMHO

Many personal and budget decisions to make (!) - it's never easy. Consider resale (if that's relevant to you) and match this to options.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Trw144

Trw144

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi,

Are you sold on the Cross Turismo or potentially wait until tomorrow to see the new addition to the range which we are all expecting to be the Sport Turismo (no plastic add ons) variant and most likely in GTS trim?

Nice spec!

Some thoughts

1. Black door handles - personal choice but for resale perhaps not a popular one?
2. Rear light strip in black - not sure its worth the cost at the expense of something more desirable?
3. Electric sport sound - use once and then leave permanently off, gimmicky for some and I wouldn't spec again.
4. Steering wheel is slightly thicker at the quarter to 3 position - blink and you'd miss the difference. Suggest a visit to the dealers to try both - any Porsche model offers both if there isn't a Taycan to look at.
5. Steering wheel heating (regardless of which one).
6. Extended leather (a lot of plastic on display otherwise)
7. Rear axle steering (with power steering plus) - worthy option - power steering plus at a minimum is a must.
8. Sport Chrono - traditional option on high performance Porsches but on the Taycan I'm not sure it adds a lot. A lot of people like it and don't mind the 'wort' sat in the centre of the dash. It adds a little convenience offering 'Individual Mode' for your own car set up that you can dial in plus Sports Plus (in addition to Sport). For launch control you only need Sport (which is standard in all Taycans). I have it in my Boxster S and not in my Taycan 4S - I don't miss it but potentially would tick the box next time around. Drive modes can also be configured (without Sports Chrono) using the My Screen on the PCM which makes the transition from any mode a single touch rather than look for the wheel and turn in the appropriate direction. If you take the Sports Chrono then consider having the compass rather than the stop watch (I'm guessing you won't be racing).
9. 14-way seats (with the leather extension) - desirable.
10. Roof rails (in black) would look good IMHO and tend to be 'invisible' given the curvature of the car and blends well into the Pano roof. Roof Transport can be added but I think you need the rails to add - worth checking otherwise you could skip the rails and just add the crossbars. Configurator will flush out the dependency but I think you need rails by default.
11. Cables - You need to select a Mode 3 Public Cable (untethered public charging points) plus select the longest charging cable for your PMC+ (7m) as its free.
12. 150 kW 400V DC booster (Tesla network is 400V and is opening up for all to use) would be handy given the low cost. Some non-Tesla EVSE charging points > 50kW are 400V which you could take full advantage off if you have this option installed. Much debated on the forum but worth having 'just in case'.
13. Auto dimming interior / exterior mirrors - a must
14. If you stick with the standard seats then consider adding the driver memory feature
13. BOSE is a default must IMHO

Many personal and budget decisions to make (!) - it's never easy. Consider resale (if that's relevant to you) and match this to options.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the new stuff coming through. I'm, assuming the GTS spec will be a chunk more money (and I'm trying to stick the 100k mark!). Sport Turismo will see but from the mock ups I have seen on this site (colour coded arches etc), think I prefer the current CT version. Think I will ditch the Sports Chrono - I don't need a compass or stopwatch this day in age, and can cope with switching mode on screen. The steering wheel is slightly nicer but £1000 I can save or put towards other things.

Cables I need to look into a bit ore to understand. Currently I am single phase athome, but am building a new house next year that will be three phase. I would also like to be able to fast charge when out and about - sounds like I need an add option to for this.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at the new stuff coming through. I'm, assuming the GTS spec will be a chunk more money (and I'm trying to stick the 100k mark!). Sport Turismo will see but from the mock ups I have seen on this site (colour coded arches etc), think I prefer the current CT version. Think I will ditch the Sports Chrono - I don't need a compass or stopwatch this day in age, and can cope with switching mode on screen. The steering wheel is slightly nicer but £1000 I can save or put towards other things.

Cables I need to look into a bit ore to understand. Currently I am single phase athome, but am building a new house next year that will be three phase. I would also like to be able to fast charge when out and about - sounds like I need an add option to for this.
Maybe important to notice. I did a test drive in a CT with sport chrono. The centre display showed a switch for gravel mode not for sport mode like in the sedan. The dealer advised against sport chrono for the reasons as mentioned above. I think I am going to take it anyway because of the steering wheel en the mode switch is easier.

Now I still have to decide if I need a 4 or 4s and if I really need rear wheel steering, insulated Glass and HUD. YOLO, FOMO and Fora can be really expensive decision makers. Best advice I found: look for the threat that confirms what you already decided you wanted!

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

The cables I've listed are for public charging in the main and the free 7m cable is to attach to your standard Porsche Mobile Charge Plus (PMC+) just give you extra flexibility. Not all public chargers have cables attached (AC charging points specifically) and are known as 'untethered' - you therefore need something just in case nothing else is available to you when out and about.

The standard onboard Taycan AC charger is 11kW. This would require a 3 phase electrical supply at home in order to provide sufficient power plus your PMC+ would max out at 7.4kW (single phase, rated to 9.6kW) and therefore won't be able to deliver all the power needed and so the next (Porsche) alternative is the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) which can cope with 3 phase supply up to 22kW. It is expensive but it does more and may be a consideration given your future plans. Note also that you would need to add the 22kW AC onboard charger to the car if you have plans to get the very best of at home AC charging (expensive option, not really required if charging overnight).

For out and about charging - DC (Direct Current) is the standard (forget AC unless you can't find a DC unit) - the lowest powered public DC units are generally 50kW (called 'Rapid Chargers') right up to 350kW (270kW usable, Ionity) Ultra fast chargers which your Taycan can take advantage off should you come across one. Many garages are rolling out 50kW (400v) & 150kW (not sure if 400v or 800v) and so you will be fine with the standard car but as I mentioned earlier the 150kW DC Booster is worth having in case these units are 400v. The Taycan is native DC 800v so hence the requirement to convert / boost up to 800v to get the maximum charge and speed (your car will still charge without the upgrade but not as quickly as it could).

To summarise, in terms of public charging, your car's standard DC capability is 50kW 400v (3 miles per minute give or take so pretty good) and up to 270kW 800v (the most powerful you can get today). The insurance policy is to add the 150kW 400V DC Booster to cover all eventualities and to leverage the Tesla Supercharger network which is 120kW 400v when made publically available (tests in progress now).

Forgot to mention that if you plan on adding bicycles then consider the factory prep for the ridiculously overpriced rear cycle carrier and then adding the carrier in time.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'd hope that any Porsche sales person would advise if they thought your choice of configuration would adversely impact resale- the only item mine pointed out was the typical second owner of a CT would want 5 seats. Interestingly, they didn't think that roof rails would make a significant difference.
As to black door handles, maybe it's love 'em or hate 'em, but I for one think they look great on the lighter colours, especially as they highlight the crease line from headlight to tail lights. I think that the Taycan market is broader than the traditional, more conservative Cayenne or Panamera buyer (especially with many coming new to the marque).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'd hope that any Porsche sales person would advise if they thought your choice of configuration would adversely impact resale- the only item mine pointed out was the typical second owner of a CT would want 5 seats. Interestingly, they didn't think that roof rails would make a significant difference.
As to black door handles, maybe it's love 'em or hate 'em, but I for one think they look great on the lighter colours, especially as they highlight the crease line from headlight to tail lights. I think that the Taycan market is broader than the traditional, more conservative Cayenne or Panamera buyer (especially with many coming new to the marque).
Rails can be added aftermarket I'd assume (as long as there is a pano roof) - so less of a residual concern.

The key things are always wheels, sports chrono, leather and colour if the the rest of the range is anything to judge by. Right now the market is hot for any 2nd hand car - Porsche no exception - and so the 'positive' impact of the semi-conductor shortages are inflating prices and now more difficult to judge.

Taycan is increasingly popular due to the tax incentives (personal and otherwise) at the expense of other options in the range. I doubt anyone is considering a Pana ST over a Taycan CT (or hopefully by tomorrow, the ST too) given the massive savings involved (£2K in Yr1 road tax alone and then £0 after that, 1% benefit in kind, etc). I think that's the real attraction and hence (by chance) opening up a broader customer base. The Pana's days are numbered I fear as both cars are in danger of filling the same segment niche before too long.

Middle seat in Taycan (as per Panamera) is neigh on useless for anything other than very short distances. I deliberately despeced 4+1 from my Pana ST in favour of 4 proper seats and did not impact residual. The Taycan is 'cosy' enough as it is without squeezing another +1 but for sure some people will be attracted by this option but I doubt a resale hinderance.
Sponsored