Burmester or Bose if all I use is Spotify via CarPlay?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Here's an interesting new synopsis (partial speculation) of Apple's progress and challenges in integrating Primephonic into Apple Music:
Well I hope Apple do make a half decent job of it but now that it has been around long enough for its annoying reference to all music tracks as "songs" ,which first surfaced with the iPod 20+ years ago and syuck :(, they still have a long way to go to categorise things which may, or may not be songs and separate dozens of different performances of the same work by different artists.

I never bought Primephonic but it is crap of Apple to have bought it years ago and closed it within a week and still not have a worthwhile replacement.
Streaming is so monumentally crap at finding what I want I have gone back to CDs at home, it is quicker and less frustrating. Shame there are no longer CD players in cars!

I hope it isn't like the weather App Dark Sky. Apple bought it, then made it no longer available on Android, said they were integrating it into the Apple weather app and have recently closed it.
Its best feature for me was local forecasting, so I could check whether it was likely to rain on my dog walk on the Ridgeway 4 miles away. That aspect wasn't added to Apple's weather app and since I suspect they only pay for blanket budget meteorological data the weather forecast is nowhere close to as accurate as Dark Sky had been, and the location now is super vague rather than very local.

The Apple weather app is an excercise in screen candy not a provider of useful data IMO so the end of Dark Sky was an end of accurate super local forecasting here in the UK.
Luckily the Met Office App is much more accurate than Apple but doesn't have the really good Dark Sky features either.
Sponsored

ThaJamez

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What sound quality do you get from the Apple Music integration. Does it do lossless streaming?

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe it's confirmation bias, but Spotify through the integrated app (came with PCM 6.0) sounds better than via CarPlay.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
What sound quality do you get from the Apple Music integration. Does it do lossless streaming?
Apple Lossless audio is only available via USB-connected CarPlay, not via Bluetooth or WiFi: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Edit: If you are referring to the PCM Apple Music integration, that is a good question - if I had to guess, the answer would be yes but I don't know what the definitive is.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Apple Lossless audio is only available via USB-connected CarPlay, not via Bluetooth or WiFi: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183
Audiophile pro tip - go for Mogami solid gold USB cables. With that connection, I find that every digital audio bit arrives more rounded, with more bass and sparkle. Artesenal digital audio, that's where it's at.

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Audiophile pro tip - go for Mogami solid gold USB cables. With that connection, I find that every digital audio bit arrives more rounded, with more bass and sparkle. Artesenal digital audio, that's where it's at.
I thought the whole point was that digital is digital I.e. if the cable is appropriate to send the data, then a ‘better’ cable is meaningless?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
But you use this an a car with outside noise, tyre noise and perhaps wind noise?

I have read about Audiophiles that hear differences on cables in their special listening environment. But is that really true.

perstxx

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan turbo , 2021 Opel Corsa-e
Country flag
The Burmester in my Taycan turbo is worth every cent :like: ;
Bose is no way near it in sound quality or smoothness / vividness...

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
But you use this an a car with outside noise, tyre noise and perhaps wind noise?
The cable isn’t making the difference.

I have read about Audiophiles that hear differences on cables in their special listening environment. But is that really true.
Potentially true for analogue cables or if the digital cables aren’t up to the job?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

No.
The only scientifically sound :))) explanation is the placebo effect.

There is no technical reason why a properly engineered cable joining two properly engineered HiFi components could influence the sound other than the placebo effect (which is of course real and strong), even in the analogue domain.

It is a way to make extreme profit from people susceptible to expectation bias and the placebo effect.
There has never been a properly conducted test showing otherwise and several showing they are as indistinguishable as physics would anticipate.
Sponsored