Burmester or Bose if all I use is Spotify via CarPlay?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I really like the Burmeister system. I understand that the differences shouldn't, in theory, matter, but if you blind tested each system, I promise you that you would be able to tell that they are different immediately, and not only with classical music. A higher quality system is apparent with all types of music. With classical, it's clarity. With Reggaeton, it's lack of distortion (and also clarity), and at all volume levels.

Does it really matter in a car? Of course not. If you are trying to save money or time, get what you can and I'm sure you will be happy. Not having Burmeister is truly a first world problem. I'm glad I don't have this particular problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ayoussef

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I really like the Burmeister system. I understand that the differences shouldn't, in theory, matter, but if you blind tested each system, I promise you that you would be able to tell that they are different immediately, and not only with classical music. A higher quality system is apparent with all types of music. With classical, it's clarity. With Reggaeton, it's lack of distortion (and also clarity), and at all volume levels.

Does it really matter in a car? Of course not. If you are trying to save money or time, get what you can and I'm sure you will be happy. Not having Burmeister is truly a first world problem. I'm glad I don't have this particular problem.
Well thanks to the latest shortages we can’t get Burmester or Bose so, “problem” solved. Looks like I’ll be canceling the order.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well thanks to the latest shortages we can’t get Burmester or Bose so, “problem” solved. Looks like I’ll be canceling the order.
I'm sincerely sorry to hear this, but if you are cancelling your entire order for a Taycan due to the stereo, you probably don't really want a Taycan. To be clear if it wasn't from my post, I don't think most people will miss what they have never had.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Apple Laying Groundwork for Apple Music Classical Feature Launching in 2022
Tuesday September 27, 2022 5:41 pm PDT by Juli Clover
Apple appears to be preparing for the upcoming launch of Apple Music Classical, a standalone classical music app that will be available alongside the ‌Apple Music‌ app.
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/27/apple-music-classical-groundwork/
They were going to integrate some other software better able to deal with classical music (composer rather than performer, principally) that they bought into Apple music for a long time.
Maybe they will make something of it.
After 20 years of disappointing music software it is about time! I had assumed it had happened and my continued disappointment was due to poor implementation!

Hope it isn't like their integration of "Dark Sky" into their weather app where I fear it is the basic meteorological data they use which is poor for the UK, Dark Sky is less accurate here than it used to be.

I will probably still stick with playing my own rips in the car, on the rare occasions I do so.

However much you spend a car is a dreadful environment to attempt to hear wide frequency range high dynamic range music :(

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm sincerely sorry to hear this, but if you are cancelling your entire order for a Taycan due to the stereo, you probably don't really want a Taycan. To be clear if it wasn't from my post, I don't think most people will miss what they have never had.
I'm not so sure.
Whilst I resent the fact that so many things which are standard on a Toyota are expensive extras on a Taycan one of the attractions of it is making a bespoke car for yourself.

If you have decided on the performance level you like best, or choose the simpler lighter weight of the RWD for driving pleasure but it is very important to you to have a better than standard stereo in a car you buy then I understand it could be a deal breaker.

When they dropped matrix headlights from the CT 4S configurator I did a configuration for a CT Turbo and a ST GTS which had them as standard. Both had aspects that didn't suit me so I stuck with the 4S in the end, but I was and still am pissed off by their lack.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure.
Whilst I resent the fact that so many things which are standard on a Toyota are expensive extras on a Taycan one of the attractions of it is making a bespoke car for yourself.

If you have decided on the performance level you like best, or choose the simpler lighter weight of the RWD for driving pleasure but it is very important to you to have a better than standard stereo in a car you buy then I understand it could be a deal breaker.

When they dropped matrix headlights from the CT 4S configurator I did a configuration for a CT Turbo and a ST GTS which had them as standard. Both had aspects that didn't suit me so I stuck with the 4S in the end, but I was and still am pissed off by their lack.
Sorry to hear this as well. I certainly understand being pissed. But you have demonstrated my point a bit: you obviously really wanted the Taycan despite not getting a few options that you really, really wanted. If you had instead cancelled over a single option, then you would not have wanted the Taycan that much. I think that lights could perhaps bother me more than stereo, but audio is an ancillary option that can be dealt with in other ways (eg, aftermarket). On my 911, when my stock Bose head unit finally quit on me, I kept it because the car is special, but I installed an aftermarket unit and am very happy. I’m sure the same could be done for Taycan if stock audio were unbearable (which it may not be if you don’t know what you are missing).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
which it may not be if you don’t know what you are missing
I was a music lover before I bought my first car and have tried loads of aftermarket, sometimes massively expensive, car sound systems over the last 50 years.

Some were quite good, though the bass is almost always that sort of overpowering one-note resonating box crap which the installers seem to think is good...

Nothing compensated for the fact that the quiet bits disappear into the background noise of a car :(

With music having a dynamic range of 60dB if you turn the level up so the quiet bits are just audible the peaks are 130dB which is theoretically possible but not usually at an acceptable distortion level in a car and could cause hearing damage.

So I come back to the fact that a car is an unsuitable environment for wide dynamic range music and realised there was no solution years ago.

We have Classic FM here which compresses the dynamic range of the music to make it more suitable for a car, which is OK apart from too many adverts.
OTOH whilst it sounds OK in a car it is absolutrely dire on a quality music system at home, which reveals the awfulness of dynamic range compression outside a noisy environment.

IME and IMO

OP
OP

ayoussef

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Not true, I want the Taycan so much that I have no plans to get a different car instead. To me spending over $100k on a car with a completely subpar stereo system is not worth it. I haven’t heard one person say the standard stereo is nice or even acceptable for a car in this price range. I had a Macan with Bose but the sound was horrible and I told myself for my next car I will splurge for the nicer stereo system. As soon as I submitted my order the system rejected it because of the Burmester delays. Knowing from this forum that Bose in the Taycan is supposedly excellent, I was fine with that “downgrade”….but to now hear that you can’t even get Bose on a car where the standard stereo isn’t even an option on the MY23 configurator, just feels cheap to me. If it was an available option and I decided to upgrade, that’s different —-but it’s not. There’s a reason they no longer offer the standard stereo on this car. And for that, I’m not willing to pay well over $100k for a car I feel I got cheaped out on with an option that is personally important to me.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not true, I want the Taycan so much that I have no plans to get a different car instead. To me spending over $100k on a car with a completely subpar stereo system is not worth it. I haven’t heard one person say the standard stereo is nice or even acceptable for a car in this price range. I had a Macan with Bose but the sound was horrible and I told myself for my next car I will splurge for the nicer stereo system. As soon as I submitted my order the system rejected it because of the Burmester delays. Knowing from this forum that Bose in the Taycan is supposedly excellent, I was fine with that “downgrade”….but to now hear that you can’t even get Bose on a car where the standard stereo isn’t even an option on the MY23 configurator, just feels cheap to me. If it was an available option and I decided to upgrade, that’s different —-but it’s not. There’s a reason they no longer offer the standard stereo on this car. And for that, I’m not willing to pay well over $100k for a car I feel I got cheaped out on with an option that is personally important to me.
Right, but for the price of the Burmeister option, I am certain you could get an aftermarket solution. I know it sucks that you can't get it from Porsche, but if you really want a Taycan now, I would look for those options before cancelling. I'm sure you could hit Bose level quality in the car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s a reason they no longer offer the standard stereo on this car.
Here in the UK the standard system is, er, standard on Taycan RWD, Taycan S and Taycan GTS and the ST and CT variants. Bose and Burmester were options.

Bose is standard on Turbo and Turbo S, Burmester is an option.

RobGG

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Burmester is way too much money to take a risk on IMO. If everyone here raved about the sound, then perhaps it could make sense if you really are into audio. But because it's mixed reviews, I couldn't justify the upcharge, given most people find the Bose is at least fine if not good
THE BURMESTER SYSTEM IS INCREDIBLE - ONE OF THE BEST THNGS ABOUT THE CAR

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
So uh, “burmester” vs “burmeister”…
Did they change their entity for tax purposes, or is one a knock off? :p

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They were going to integrate some other software better able to deal with classical music (composer rather than performer, principally) that they bought into Apple music for a long time.
Maybe they will make something of it.
After 20 years of disappointing music software it is about time! I had assumed it had happened and my continued disappointment was due to poor implementation!

Hope it isn't like their integration of "Dark Sky" into their weather app where I fear it is the basic meteorological data they use which is poor for the UK, Dark Sky is less accurate here than it used to be.

I will probably still stick with playing my own rips in the car, on the rare occasions I do so.

However much you spend a car is a dreadful environment to attempt to hear wide frequency range high dynamic range music :(
Here's an interesting new synopsis (partial speculation) of Apple's progress and challenges in integrating Primephonic into Apple Music:
Sponsored