car charged to 100% when the profile was set at 85%. Why?

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Don't get this

GOt home with minimal charge. Like 4%. Plugged it into my 7kw home charger.

The profile is set for "optimal charging" to 85%

This am its at 100% and I don't understand why? Any ideas?

There's a message saying "The Porsche Charging Planner" is active. Does that have anything to do with it?
Sponsored

Dilpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Don't get this

There's a message saying "The Porsche Charging Planner" is active. Does that have anything to do with it?
Do you have ’Direct charging’ enabled? Because it overrides your profile settings on this.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When you charge at home, if you have a destination active in the nav unit, the Porsche charging planner will control how much charging occurs. It gives message "charging planner is active".
Usually it limits/stops charging early.
To avoid this, ensure there is no "destination" active in the nav unit. Then charge.

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
When you charge at home, if you have a destination active in the nav unit, the Porsche charging planner will control how much charging occurs. It gives message "charging planner is active".
Usually it limits/stops charging early.
To avoid this, ensure there is no "destination" active in the nav unit. Then charge.
To be honest they made this system far to complicated. They may leave as it is, but a screen with the actual status would help then a lot...Now it is a real puzzle...

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be honest they made this system far to complicated. They may leave as it is, but a screen with the actual status would help then a lot...Now it is a real puzzle...
Yes. "Porsche charging planner" is standard feature. "Porsche Intelligent Range Manager" (PIRM) is an option that does not control charging.

Last edited:

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Yeah. I have same issue too. Just dont try to fide with Charging through the phone app and set it in car. Seems to work as intended if done in car.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Don't get this

I had same thing happen to me when I collected the car back from the dealership. Not sure what they did but it changed my default timer to direct charging when I plugged it in.

I went back into the Timer and noticed the box for nighttime charging was unchecked, so I checked it and things are back to normal.

The error-proofing around this is pretty simple. When you plug the car in, look at the center display (or your phone app) and you should see either the timer confirmed, or direct charging. Takes only about 15-20 seconds after plugging in for the display to indicate its designated charging protocol.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
To stop it at 85%, create a daily timer for say 0500 with 85%.
Bizarre, but someone at Porsche has a brain that works this way.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
To stop it at 85%, create a daily timer for say 0500 with 85%.
Bizarre, but someone at Porsche has a brain that works this way.
+1 to this advice. Do not rely on a Profile to control max charge. Timer is the only function that limits the maximum intended charge. I do not have any use for the Profile so that is OFF. Timer set exactly for AM time such as suggested 0500 with your max value 85% recommended for daily use.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
+1 to this advice. Do not rely on a Profile to control max charge. Timer is the only function that limits the maximum intended charge. I do not have any use for the Profile so that is OFF. Timer set exactly for AM time such as suggested 0500 with your max value 85% recommended for daily use.
IIRC You need the profile too so that the car does not start charging again 30 minutes after the timer completes.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
IIRC You need the profile too so that the car does not start charging again 30 minutes after the timer completes.
My Profile is OFF, Direct Charge OFF, Timer is ON set to 85% 6am. Every 8am I check it, it is at 85%. Never more. I never had an issue with charge restarting again after the Timer completed its duty.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Don't get this

The profile setting ("Minimum battery charge") is what the car charges up to any time you plug in. It gets you back to a personally comfortable minimum charge level right away (in case of a need to drive again soon). If you set this at 85% the car would start charging as soon as you plugged in if the battery was below 85%. The car will later charge to 100% since you do not have a timer set. Set and activate a timer to set a "charge up to and stop" level. I have my profile set to 25% (give me 70 miles of emergency range). The timer is set for every day and (typically) to 75%. Just edit the timer setting if you want to adjust the "charge up to" level. It will not charge to 100%. As @SergeyIndy said you do not need an active profile but it's nice to have for immediately putting juice back into a very low battery.

Completely overly complicated, non-intuitive system but it works and starts to make sense once you use it a few times.

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
My Profile is OFF, Direct Charge OFF, Timer is ON set to 85% 6am. Every 8am I check it, it is at 85%. Never more. I never had an issue with charge restarting again after the Timer completed its duty.
I must have it backwards then. It’s a horribly designed system that could be so much easier.

OP
OP

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
What a joke. All I want is the car to charge to 85% every time I plug it in at the max speed possible. So at home from whatever it it to 85% without me having to do anything other than plug the thing in at 7kw.
Sponsored