Carplay annoyances

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
No beep here either, I use Carplay every drive. The iPhone does show a Carplay welcome screen when it first connects, but nothing on the PCM other than Carplay UI showing up.

I do have connection issues sometimes, I find if I am interacting with the PCM or do anything that would cause the PCM to change what it's showing (for example bringing up the reverse camera, dismissing Homelink menu, etc.) there is a higher chance of Carplay "crashing". At this point everytime I click the Carplay button it just blinks and then goes back to PCM, almost as if it's in a perpetual crash on open state.

I have found that if I go to Devices in PCM and then disconnect Carplay (which causes the phone to reconnect to the car as a normal BT device) and then reconnect Carplay, that resets things and I'm good to go after that. Of course, I'm doing all this while in the first 2 minutes of my drive, which is annoying/dangerous...but at least it works.
Sponsored

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
No beep, but the same problems 2 and 3. Interesting to hear it is a problem beyond this model, and kinda comforting, as i was thinking just another bad programming choice for this car. Porsche really got to up their spending and development of their software. I dont expect to drive a Tesla level of tech, but they have got to get the basics down.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I am also in the no beep, no message camp. The other two I have.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Huh. Do you have a message that displays briefly on the screen when it connects to CarPlay?
Only on my iphone, the CP icon shows and I activate it but it doesn't seem to be consistent what it does next. I reset iphone every 3-4 weeks due to travel. I also try wireless, which works but still only shows the pcm screen with CP logo in top right screen. When I hard wire into the car, it will pull up the CP screen automatically about 50% of the time. When it doesn't pull up, the pcm screen appears, I hear the music via apple/pandora/spotify , and then I have to manually touch the pcm screen icon that says CP to get it to appear on the pcm. I know this isn't much help as I am having different issues but thought I'd let you know.

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
Mine doesn’t beep but when I have trouble getting it to connect I use Swissbob’s method and it works

iross

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No beep for me either but have similar connection issues. Wish the tech was more consistent.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
A couple things really bug me about carplay:

* When the car connects to my phone, the car beeps. It sounds like some kind of warning alarm. What's up with that? Does the car really need to tell you carplay connected? No. Cars don't beep when bluetooth connects, how is that any different?

* I normally listen to the radio in my car, and if I had the radio playing when I last used the car, the radio is on when I next start the car. As it should be. But with carplay, the radio will play for a minute or so, and as soon as carplay connects, it mutes the radio and I have to go into the PCM to start it up again. Does this happen to everyone?

* And then finally, carplay doesn't always connect. I can't find anything I'm doing differently when that happens, it just seems like it's hit or miss.
I don’t have a beep but all else is true. Every. Single. Day. Is a new adventure, from telling me car play is not enabled to telling me there is no device connected (yet I can send texts through the car, go figure). Is like morning Russian roulette. Adds 15 minutes to every trip unless I ignore and drive in silence.

I have a month worth of daily diary to share with the dealer. Issue is dealer can’t find the issue unless it happens right then and there. I will share the diary here after I share with the dealer.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t have a beep but all else is true. Every. Single. Day. Is a new adventure, from telling me car play is not enabled to telling me there is no device connected (yet I can send texts through the car, go figure). Is like morning Russian roulette. Adds 15 minutes to every trip unless I ignore and drive in silence.

I have a month worth of daily diary to share with the dealer. Issue is dealer can’t find the issue unless it happens right then and there. I will share the diary here after I share with the dealer.
I finally figured out the beep. It was accompanied with a message that flashes on the screen so quickly, that you couldn’t read it. I took a video of the screen until it beeped, and was able to see the message when I played back and paused the video. It said “google search update available”. I then figured out how to turn on automatic CarPlay updates, and the message and beep haven’t reappeared since.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
So nobody else hears a beep when the car connects to CarPlay? I have a short beep, and a message briefly flashes on the display. This is with Wireless CarPlay.
I don't have a beep. If the beep coincides with a notification, I would go into your notification settings. You can select the type of notifications that are displayed via pop-up vs not.

I almost hate to type this, but I infrequently have connection issues. It connects wirelessly within the first minute and stays connected. Rarely do I have to manually connect. I don't use Sirius or AM/FM.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
No beep. But my home is located in a steep river valley with spotty cell tower surface until I get near downtown.

Occasionally my 4S reverts to German and hell breaks loose with regards to connectivity, CarPlay, etc. ... but after a couple minutes it all settles down and works 100% fine.

I think this whole issue is something that Porsche really should address somehow -- and I live in a major metropolitan area with 1+ million people. I've read so many complaints from owners about spotty connectivity issues, it's become something commonplace IMHO.
Sponsored