First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
H/T @struther
Look at his stitching on the steering wheel, with the dash, with the seats, with the deep pile (not paper thin) stitched floor mats ?
Oooh. Where does one get those floor mats??
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Note though that you stated you wanted less branding but got the puddle lights - did you know those splash a bright light that spells “PORSCHE” on the ground every time you open a door?

Only mentioning it because the lease I picked off the lot has the puddle lights and I dislike them for that reason - way too much branding for me.
wait! My early 2020 version just throws lights without a lens or branding!

not sure what I think of that….

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Now that’s a beautiful build!

Note though that you stated you wanted less branding but got the puddle lights - did you know those splash a bright light that spells “PORSCHE” on the ground every time you open a door?

Only mentioning it because the lease I picked off the lot has the puddle lights and I dislike them for that reason - way too much branding for me.
Does the "puddle light" option simply add branding to existing puddle lights? Or is this the only option to add puddle lights to the car? My understanding from the configurator (which is notoriously unclear) is that it's the latter.

If the option only adds branding to existing puddle lights, I would indeed remove the option.

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great spec! Do you think the carbon wheels look a little grey? May just be the configurator? Wonder about same wheels in gloss black? Also have carbon wheels difficult to repair if damaged.
Yes, the carbon wheels are definitely not black. However, keep in mind that the Turbo S comes with SportDesign sideskirts with inlays in Carbon Fiber. I've added the carbon fiber SportDesign Package, which adds carbon fiber along the base of the front facia and rear diffuser. So the entire perimeter of the car is wrapped in carbon fiber. The wheels match that rather than the paint.

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks amazing- can you add some context on the mobile charger connect; so you should stick with the basic one or what are you recommending to do otherwise? thanks!
Paired with the 19.2kW on-board AC charger, it obviously makes no sense (since it's limited to 40 amps / 9.6kW). In terms of capacity, it's the same as the one that comes with the car.

Second, they are prone to overheating, and frankly may not even be safe given the guage wire they used, which (I believe) is rated a couple of amps lower than the charger is supposed to be able to do.

So the only reason to get it is for the "smart" features. Those smart features aren't all that smart. The car itself can be programmed with your charging preferences. Yes, you can monitor the SOC from the app, but do you really need to know bad enough to buy an overpriced and terrible charger that isn't even technically part of the vehicle? There are many other options in the market that provide a high-quality and reliable charger. And if you have the 19.2kW on-board AC (and assuming your house can handle it), you'll want a higher-powered one. Juicebox Pro 80 is coming out in September according to their support desk. I'll be buying that one.

Hope that helps frame the decision to just stick with the "free" one that comes with the car. I'll stick it in the trunk for an emergency.

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Paired with the 19.2kW on-board AC charger, it obviously makes no sense (since it's limited to 40 amps / 9.6kW). In terms of capacity, it's the same as the one that comes with the car.

Second, they are prone to overheating, and frankly may not even be safe given the guage wire they used, which (I believe) is rated a couple of amps lower than the charger is supposed to be able to do.

So the only reason to get it is for the "smart" features. Those smart features aren't all that smart. The car itself can be programmed with your charging preferences. Yes, you can monitor the SOC from the app, but do you really need to know bad enough to buy an overpriced and terrible charger that isn't even technically part of the vehicle? There are many other options in the market that provide a high-quality and reliable charger. And if you have the 19.2kW on-board AC (and assuming your house can handle it), you'll want a higher-powered one. Juicebox Pro 80 is coming out in September according to their support desk. I'll be buying that one.

Hope that helps frame the decision to just stick with the "free" one that comes with the car. I'll stick it in the trunk for an emergency.
Thank you so much and love the insights.

So for at home you use the 240 plug with the basic charger or do I install something else at home.

I was told the 19.2 not to add but do you notice a lot faster charging with it at home?

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much and love the insights.

So for at home you use the 240 plug with the basic charger or do I install something else at home.

I was told the 19.2 not to add but do you notice a lot faster charging with it at home?
The answer to this question depends very much on each person's situation. Your home charging speed will be limited by your available electrical capacity. My old house was built in the 1960s and had 60 amp service for the entire house. My new house has 400 amp service and could easily handle two 19.2kW cars charging at the same time.

So here are a few things to consider:
- Available capacity (total capacity minus other expected electrical loads in the home)
- How much you drive
- How much time you have to charge at home
- Whether you have access to a charging at work
- Whether you value being able to remove the charger and take it with you (e.g., renters)... larger capacities will need to be hard-wired
- Whether there is an existing 240 volt plug (using what is already there, such as a dryer plug)

For most people, a 40 amp 9.6kW charger such as the one that comes with the car will more than suffice. Above that, you need a hardwire solution. It's not needed for most people's use. There are some excellent threads in the forum on charging that you should check out.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Are you planning to wrap your car matted black? If not, this build has to be one of the most expensive boring Taycan build that I have seen here. If you do plan to wrap it, yeah, this build is pretty epic with the carbon fiber exterior.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Congratulations! Very cool that the Taycan enticed to buy a new car for the first time in 20 years. Although I am a car guy and constantly thinking about my next car, the Taycan has motivated me to spend more than I ever have before..

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you planning to wrap your car matted black? If not, this build has to be one of the most expensive boring Taycan build that I have seen here. If you do plan to wrap it, yeah, this build is pretty epic with the carbon fiber exterior.
Personal taste... I did spec it precisely to be a "stealth" / understated look (to the extent you can own an understated Porsche). I enjoy nice things, but I'm really not seeking to draw attention on the road. I figure it has plenty of "show" as is. I realize that's not for everyone. By the time my lock-in arrives, I might waver on some of the interior, but I'm dead set on the all-black/carbon exterior.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
When I see a discussion about what colour stitching they are going to have on their floor mats, I realise how clever Porsche have been. They cater for everyone with a list of aesthetic options as long as your arm. And Its all pure profit.

After my Turbo S was delivered, I realised very quickly that I needed to replace the floor mats with rubber mats. As proved by the picture in this thread, they quickly get dirty and then the red stitching becomes an irrelevance. I also realised that if I wanted to make the most of it, my Turbo S was going to do some track miles. I wasn't wrong. When you are relaxing after a session and the car stinks of burnt rubber and the fans are going mad as it cools down, you appreciate what Porsche were trying to achieve. A sports car. Every other bit of frippery becomes inconsequential.
Sponsored