Charge Port Cover - Increased Drag

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
This has been covered in another thread. The italic text below is directly from Porsche.

The car is more aerodynamic when the flaps are closed. I would bet the difference in aero between the different Taycan models is almost exclusively due to the wheels and tires.

Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA) thus offers several advantages at the front of the Taycan: When the cooling air flaps are closed, the system reduces drag and therefore increases range. When the flaps are open, PAA improves both the performance of the cooling system and the brakes at the same time. Control of the cooling air flaps is always demand-driven and depends on the driving mode, speed and cooling requirement.
You're talking about the front intakes which is different than what others are talking about in this thread. The vents behind the wheels are used to reintegrate the turbulent air from the wheels spinning. They are different than the intakes at the front which deal with smoothly flowing air and are ideally closed unless you need them for cooling.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
It's a silly option that adds more complexity to an already complex car, IMHO. The regular charge cover works just fine.
Until some idiot rips it off whilst you are charging in public, in a fit of rage that is...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You're talking about the front intakes which is different than what others are talking about in this thread. The vents behind the wheels are used to reintegrate the turbulent air from the wheels spinning. They are different than the intakes at the front which deal with smoothly flowing air and are ideally closed unless you need them for cooling.
Yes, you're correct. Any data on the Cd with and without vents?

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hey all,

I have seen lots of opinions from the forum on the aesthetics and need for the power charge port cover. I originally had it on my 4S build which locks in a few weeks.

I got this info from the Porsche factory rep:
The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd
Really? Big SUV Audi e-tron has a value of 0.28.

DenverDG

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2017 Tesla S 100D
Country flag
Hey all,

I have seen lots of opinions from the forum on the aesthetics and need for the power charge port cover. I originally had it on my 4S build which locks in a few weeks.

I got this info from the Porsche factory rep:
The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

Here are the ranges for the Taycan's from the porsche website:
Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus – 227 miles
Taycan Turbo with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 212 miles
Taycan Turbo S with Performance Battery Plus (standard) – 201 miles

Has anyone had reduced range as a factor on making a decision on whether to add it or remove it, and if you did have it and knew it cost you range would you order it again?

Jason
I do not regret getting it, but don't know how it affects range, if at all. A little skeptical about that. Coolness factor is 100%.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Really? Big SUV Audi e-tron has a value of 0.28.
FYI a lot of people forget that Cd is multiplied by frontal surface area to get actual drag. So a big SUV still has way more drag even with the same Cd.

GOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CLS63 . Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Hello there,
When you spec. The electric charging cover the sides are blocked with the motor . Without it the air can flow. I read somewhere that will effect the drag coefficient from .24 to .22 .
Is it true and what kind impact will have . And if it is ture , is that mean it is better not to spec it and only if you want the car to look nicer. Thanks in advance

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Please note the same question in the similar threads section below and look in there for your answer.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and the difference is immeasurable.

FWIW the electric ports are not reliable. One of mine failed along with the charging port earlier last week..3 days in the shop and counting.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
any difference in drag due to the power covers iw well with the range of measurement error in the real world - wheel choice, tire condition, road conditions, ambient temperature, head winds, bird poop on the paint, dirt, traffic and current stock market conditions are more likely to have a measurable effect on range than the difference between having or not having the power charging ports.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Hello there,
When you spec. The electric charging cover the sides are blocked with the motor . Without it the air can flow. I read somewhere that will effect the drag coefficient from .24 to .22 .
Is it true and what kind impact will have . And if it is ture , is that mean it is better not to spec it and only if you want the car to look nicer. Thanks in advance
I've never seen any evidence that this is true. It *is* true that the Turbo S had the higher drag coefficient, but there are other differences like riding on 21" wheels as well as some other body/aero which could easily account for the difference.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Every time I manually open my charging covers, I am glad I saved the money. It was just too gimmicky for me and as some have posted they have failed. Actually when I picked up my car the dealer said they have said that some owners had problems in freezing weather.

Good to know I have a 0.02 better drag coefficent as well :) . Although I have noticed that the salt from the road seems to collect a bit in the open space.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Every time I manually open my charging covers, I am glad I saved the money. It was just too gimmicky for me and as some have posted they have failed. Actually when I picked up my car the dealer said they have said that some owners had problems in freezing weather.

Good to know I have a 0.02 better drag coefficent as well :) . Although I have noticed that the salt from the road seems to collect a bit in the open space.
Don’t get too smug just yet as the manual ones can stick shut too however there is a tool in the toolkit to prise it open!

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Here I was all proud of making a good decision only to have the carpet pulled out from under me... Had not read that these mechanical ones can fail too... Ugh.
Sponsored