Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
For the time being, I will be using only level 1 charging. As I understand it, the PMCC maxes out at 8A for a 5-15 plug.

All of the outlets in my garage are tied to one 20A breaker. That chain of outlets already has a refrigerator and our security camera hard driver recorder hooked up to it. Adding the charger would probably push it towards the upper max amperage.

The only other outlets are the two on the ceiling for our garage door openers. We have two and both outlets are tied to their own 20A breaker. The openers draw a max of 4.7A each. Would it be safe to run the charger off of one of the outlets for the garage door opener?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
For the time being, I will be using only level 1 charging. As I understand it, the PMCC maxes out at 8A for a 5-15 plug.

All of the outlets in my garage are tied to one 20A breaker. That chain of outlets already has a refrigerator and our security camera hard driver recorder hooked up to it. Adding the charger would probably push it towards the upper max amperage.

The only other outlets are the two on the ceiling for our garage door openers. We have two and both outlets are tied to their own 20A breaker. The openers draw a max of 4.7A each. Would it be safe to run the charger off of one of the outlets for the garage door opener?
you just spent over $100k on a great car, don't cheap out on one of the best features of an EV, hire an electrician and install 240 service

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I plan on it but it will be 3 weeks before I can have it done

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I plan on it but it will be 3 weeks before I can have it done
It will take about that long to charge your car on 120v :CWL:

In all seriousness, you will be fine charging using the garage door plugs. You will be charging your car overnight when the doors won't be in operation anyways. You would probably also be fine using the circuit with the fridge on it too.

As an example, the subpanel in my detached garage is fed via a 60A, 240V breaker from my main panel. My subpanel in my garage has a 20A, 240V breaker for my well pump, a 20A 120V breaker that has a deep freezer and fridge on it, and the 50A, 240V breaker for the car. Not once has any breaker tripped yet.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
Thanks!

I only drive about 25-30 miles a day and not much at all on the weekends so the trickle charge should be just fine for now.
Sponsored