bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
So I just received the documentation for the Safety Recall for my 240V NEMA power cable. As a part of the recall I am eligible for up to $600 cash to purchase a 3rd party charger. We also have a Tesla so my first idea was to purchase the Tesla Universal charger to charge both our Taycan and Tesla. The problem is we have the 240V plug in the wall but the Tesla Universal charger is set up to connect directly with wiring rather than a plug. My second thought is to purchase the Tesla Mobile charger along with and adapter for the Taycan which does have the plug but doesn't charge at the same power as the universal charger.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the Tesla universal charger work with the plug in the wall? Is there other 3rd party chargers that might work better for the Taycan/Tesla combination or should I just go with the Tesla Mobile charger?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
option #1 - get an electrician to convert the existing NEMA socket to hardwired - trivial - easy - no problem - seriously - less than two hours billed labor…I could do it in about an hour.

option #2: you can "convert" a Tesla Wall charger to plug based DIY - post #9, #10 and post #18 and more on this thread - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ble-nhtsa-id-23v-841.18887/page-2#post-290940 - review the thread and decide if you want a personal project.

option #1 is your best choice and straight forward and no muss no fuss - honestly if they bill you more than 2 hours labor for this find another electrician.

Last edited:

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Came in here to write what @daveo4EV already said. Heck I added a 2nd Tesla wall connector to my house last week, myself. It really is not rocket science. Also, when my house was first wired up in 2012 for an EV it was a NEMA 14-50 that eventually got converted to a hardwired unit. That is for sure the best option, and the Tesla unit is best bang for buck on the market today. I've got 3x Tesla wall units at my house LOL

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I just received the documentation for the Safety Recall for my 240V NEMA power cable. As a part of the recall I am eligible for up to $600 cash to purchase a 3rd party charger.
The recall notice says they will reimburse for a "3rd party mobile charger". I'd like to get a wall charger, but am waiting to see if anyone is successful in getting PCNA to reimburse them for a wall charger.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I'd like to get a wall charger, but am waiting to see if anyone is successful in getting PCNA to reimburse them for a wall charger.
It seems too early to tell, as reimbursement via check is estimated to take several weeks. I and others have reached out to Porsche for clarification but I don't expect a quick response.

OP
OP
bah1590

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
The recall notice says they will reimburse for a "3rd party mobile charger". I'd like to get a wall charger, but am waiting to see if anyone is successful in getting PCNA to reimburse them for a wall charger.
My paperwork says, "YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF A 3RD PARTY 240V CHARGER, UP TO $600 cash or Porsche Service Voucher." It doesn't say Mobile. Are there Mobile chargers that cost $600?

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
My paperwork says, "YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF A 3RD PARTY 240V CHARGER, UP TO $600 cash or Porsche Service Voucher." It doesn't say Mobile. Are there Mobile chargers that cost $600?
...probably twice that, if it has the word "Porsche" printed on it. ;)

OP
OP
bah1590

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Mine does not say “mobile.”
It does say mobile charger up above so it's kind of confusing. Probably good to get clarification before buying something. I did Google some mobile chargers but saw them more in the $200 to $300 range. Worst case I can get a Tesla mobile charger with an adapter for the Taycan.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It does say mobile charger up above so it's kind of confusing. Probably good to get clarification before buying something. I did Google some mobile chargers but saw them more in the $200 to $300 range. Worst case I can get a Tesla mobile charger with an adapter for the Taycan.
It’s pretty clear..
Porsche Taycan Wall Charger Choice Question IMG_1041

Dr.RA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2023
Country flag
Does anyone recommend a 3rd party mobile charger that they have used and works with the Taycan? I looked at a few and see that the ChargePoint gets rated pretty highly. It's the Home Flex Level 2 WiFi Enabled 240 Volt NEMA 14-50 Plug Electric Vehicle EV Charger for Plug in.

OP
OP
bah1590

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Does anyone recommend a 3rd party mobile charger that they have used and works with the Taycan? I looked at a few and see that the ChargePoint gets rated pretty highly. It's the Home Flex Level 2 WiFi Enabled 240 Volt NEMA 14-50 Plug Electric Vehicle EV Charger for Plug in.
That's where there is some confusion. The ChargePoint HomeFlex Level 2 is a wall charger not a mobile charger. A mobile charger is like this where you can carry it with you to use on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Electr...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I am leaning towards this Tesla mobile charger since we also own a Tesla.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I spoke to my local dealer and got a letter recommending various EVSE / home chargers (hard wired, not mobile). I called Porsche Customer Support and they confirmed that reimbursement was for any home charger, including ChargePoint, Aukey, etc.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I thought I saw the list of Porsche recommended EVSE’s and the ChargePoint HomeFlex was on the list. So that’s a wall charger on the list. I ordered the Tesla universal, and will take my chances.

The plug and plug cable were what was melting on the old charger. I went with hardwired to eliminate that as a failure point.

OP
OP
bah1590

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I thought I saw the list of Porsche recommended EVSE’s and the ChargePoint HomeFlex was on the list. So that’s a wall charger on the list. I ordered the Tesla universal, and will take my chances.

The plug and plug cable were what was melting on the old charger. I went with hardwired to eliminate that as a failure point.
Yes, I am going to order on Amazon and then submit to Porsche. I will hold off on installing until I see if there is any backlash from Porsche. I have 30 days for free returns to Amazon.
Sponsored