Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Average petrol price is around £1.40 per litre....or £6.30 per gallon. So a petrol car would need to do 45mpg or so for it to break even at those prices.

But that will typically be round town. And is the 12kW of Evoque battery the usable amount?

The XC90 we're getting will do around 40 miles from around 15kW-16kW usable. (A friend has one so we know the numbers are more or less OK). At 30ppkWh that's equivalent to 53mpg, which I know from experience of our D5 XC90 that it will never get close to that, around town or otherwise (34mpg at best). And we'll be charging it mostly at 7.5p. So that's an equivalent of 200+ mpg.

40 miles should be enough for typical daily runs. But that also relies on using it so the engine doesn't kick in (may be tricky when there's so much power on tap). We'll see how it goes.

We almost went the full EV route for the family wagon (EV9)...if we'd done that, I would have installed a compatible EVSE and linked that with IO.
Just checked, 15kw battery, 13.5 useable. Does 3 pin charge at less than 3kwh? If I do move back to OI, hopefully 6 hours will cover it on 3 pin. 25-30 miles daily should suffice, and theory is £1 a day max if OH does 25 miles which many days she won’t.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I am on OVO but have solar cells so they won't do the special charge rate at all so I charge at full rate still much cheaper than petrol but I do resent not getting super cheap leccy.

I also have a plug in Prius which I put petrol in once a year when I go the the petrol station to fill up my garden tractor, strimmer and hedge trimmer jerry cans. It goes 30 to 36 miles on a charge of its 6kW battery which used to cost less than £1 and now almost £2 at full price, still not bad IMO, I still have a ⅓ tank of petrol from last Spring since its engine needs to run so infrequently.
Mind you it is relatively light and a very efficient design unlike the Panamera PHEV I looked at...

I basically decided the extra cost for the mileage I do wasn't worth the hassle of charging in the middle of the night.
Does paying £0.28 per kW make a plug in uneconomical for your wife's use????
Wouldn’t say uneconomical, but would definitely take the shine off and would be no cheaper than petrol/ diesel and the car itself is considerably more ££ than the petrol/ diesel equivalent! I enjoy getting the cheap rate for the taycan!

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Just checked, 15kw battery, 13.5 useable. Does 3 pin charge at less than 3kwh? If I do move back to OI, hopefully 6 hours will cover it on 3 pin. 25-30 miles daily should suffice, and theory is £1 a day max if OH does 25 miles which many days she won’t.
13A is around 3kWh charging.

6hrs should cover it, BUT you need to check what the car can take.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
13A is around 3kWh charging.

6hrs should cover it, BUT you need to check what the car can take.
I don't know why but both my 13A plug chargers (Toyota and Porsche) only draw 2.6kW, I have no idea what charge is actually going into the Prius but it charges in just over 2 hours and has around a 6kW "reserve" over the hybrid requirement (good for 36 miles in summer) so most must go to the battery.
The Taycan reports 2.1kW going to the battery so there is a half kW overhead when charging, same as the Andersen which supplies 7.2 kW and the car charges at 6.7 kW.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
So, hybrid Evoque arrived and Mrs has been running around on electric all week. She is getting around 25 miles on 11 kw of electric so at 30p it’s £3.30 for 25 miles so not much cheaper than petrol. So thinking I will do the swop back to octopus intelligent.

Porsche Taycan Charging 2  EVs/ hybrid, Octopus vs OVO? IMG_0197

25 miles is around her daily use age as 2 x school run and gym and back in the middle, so the battery just about suits. Should get 30 miles when it gets warmer.

Anyone swooped electric supplier recently and does it take long? I see with octopus you need to go into the standard tariff initially so again anyone done this recently and how long before I can get off standard tariff onto OI?
Sponsored