Lunaatje9185

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
what do you think from a health perspective of waiting in the car while recharging in a supercharger?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunaatje9185

Lunaatje9185

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I charge several times a week in supercharger (+/- 20 min). I take the opportunity to process my emails. I wondered about radiation during charging while staying in the car.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Um...... 🙄

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
Your fine .. All Safety emissions / radiated energy calcs are done as part of all EV designs .. These take into account not just humans in the car, but animals underneath it, people with pacemakers lying on the cable or connectors etc but also things like affect on other electrical systems ie blocking keyless locking systems and even as far as potential effects on Long wave NATO shore to Submarine Transmissions

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
Not a crazy question since high currents result in high emfs and power electronics switching systems can make it worse. It seems that it’s not just charging but how you discharge that has an impact. Anyone going to ease off the gas so as not to expose themselves. Not me. 😉. See the last paragraph here https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/52321

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Your heart generates electromagnetic energy.

You've just started screaming, haven't you?

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
There is nor alpha, beta or gamma radiation from your vehicle, but somewhat less electromagnetic exposure (also written as a kind of radiation). But this will be, when you sit inside an electric car, even less than the radiation you are exposed to when you talk on your mobile phone. . . and which has not yet been proven to have any health problems when used normally.

Medical X-ray examinations at the hospital are however, either CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic tomography). Some medical radiation to a part of your body has greater exposure, and so do the different types of radiation used (CT / MR). These type of radiation are still somewhat a risk factor, as all this during life is added together (even alpha and beta radiation). So therefore one should try to minimize unwanted radiation in total. Though, remember that the benefits of doing a medical examination outweigh even the risk of cancer.

You will in fact by nature be exposed to 4 mSv (millisievert) coming from space and earth. As pilots and flight attendants are closer to space, they are also exposed more than people who work on land or at sea. . . not to mention astronauts who are at greater risk. When working with gamma radiation directly in the industry/offshore or CT/MRI as a doctor, the legal annual limit is 20 mSv, which is still regulated as a "safe". A deadly dose of gamma radiation will be around 200 mSv and above, but there will still be a cancer risk from 50-100 mSv. Over 1000 msv = 1 Sv is total painful death in short time, but then you will be standing next to a a source, like an IR-192 or Cobolt isotop, which is very rare unless broken rules or an accident.

When you consider the danger from Taycan, the risk of being injured in a traffic accident is much higher than from any radiation. Although modern vehicles today have lots of airbags and safety systems, there is still risk of death. As Oink underline, you might add unhealthy weight to you body if sitting in your vehicle to long, which is a risk. If you go for a walk, is not risk free either. Life itself is more lethal and dangerous than anything else you do. It is okey to worry a little sometimes, but to much worrying can physically do your more harm, so I say this:

Do not worry, be happy, have fun. . . and drive safely in your new Porsche 😎

Last edited:

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
what do you think from a health perspective of waiting in the car while recharging in a supercharger?
If one has an ICD or a pacemaker, the interference from the high voltage could cause there malfunction. This has not been studied but the risk is there and hence not advised. Medtronic, a medical device company doesn’t rule out the possibility of an issue

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I suggest wrapping yourself in aluminum foil.
Would an aluminium wrap on the car make it better. Or would it turn the car into a giant microwave?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I would be more concerned holding a pipe, pouring highly flammable liquid into the car at high pressure, which a single spark couid ignite in an instant and blow the car and me sky high.
Well, that's what happens when you smoke while filling up😜
Sponsored