First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi
So I have an Ohme Home Pro charger at home which gives me the option to schedule the times I charge my car at home, the problem I've encountered is that if I set the home charger to charge from 1am-5am but connect the cable to the car the night before the charging port flashes red and it says charging error.

I was hoping to use the timer on the charger rather than the profiles and timers on the car as they're very confusing on the car.

Cheers for any help.
Sponsored

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
I have a Ohme EVSE. When you say “the charging port flashes red” do you mean on the car? If so, this is normal, my Taycan does this. Then once it gets to the charging window it charges no problem

KCB1998

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
Hi
So I have an Ohme Home Pro charger at home which gives me the option to schedule the times I charge my car at home, the problem I've encountered is that if I set the home charger to charge from 1am-5am but connect the cable to the car the night before the charging port flashes red and it says charging error.

I was hoping to use the timer on the charger rather than the profiles and timers on the car as they're very confusing on the car.

Cheers for any help.
It’s because the Ohme app isn’t yet fully connectable with the Taycan. Mine does the same but as soon as the time reaches the window it starts to charge as normal.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi

Cheers for any help.
Better to control the charging session with PCM profile and timers IMHO

It is not as difficult as you think particularly for the use case described.

For example:

1 profile set to 25% with preferred charging window 01:00 - 05:00.
1 daily timer set to 01::00 - 05:00, target charge 85%

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Better to control the charging session with PCM profile and timers IMHO

It is not as difficult as you think particularly for the use case described.

For example:

1 profile set to 25% with preferred charging window 01:00 - 05:00.
1 daily timer set to 01::00 - 05:00, target charge 85%
Just what I was looking for having moved to a cheaper overnight tariff. Just make sure that pre conditioning is not checked - unless you want the car ready for 5am.
To me, it looks like either solution will work fine. It seems better to use the one that doesn’t trigger an error, but I don’t really see any advantage of using one strategy over the other except for avoiding it looking like an error on your car

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just what I was looking for having moved to a cheaper overnight tariff. Just make sure that pre conditioning is not checked - unless you want the car ready for 5am.
To me, it looks like either solution will work fine. It seems better to use the one that doesn’t trigger an error, but I don’t really see any advantage of using one strategy over the other except for avoiding it looking like an error on your car
The other advantage is that it negates the urge to source an alternative EVSE when the car is supplied with a perfectly adequate one.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other advantage is that it negates the urge to source an alternative EVSE when the car is supplied with a perfectly adequate one.
It does have the drawback that the lowest I can set on a profile is 25%. So if I get home with 10% and want to use only overnight cheap charging, I can’t plug in. In that scenario the only option is to use the timer on the EVSE or stay up until the cheap rate starts.

I know the Porsche EVSE works, but I keep that in my car to use and wouldn’t want to have it in and out of the car for every charge at home and keep changing the supply tail for 13A charging when available at work

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It does have the drawback that the lowest I can set on a profile is 25%. So if I get home with 10% and want to use only overnight cheap charging, I can’t plug in. In that scenario the only option is to use the timer on the EVSE or stay up until the cheap rate starts.

I know the Porsche EVSE works, but I keep that in my car to use and wouldn’t want to have it in and out of the car for every charge at home and keep changing the supply tail for 13A charging when available at work
I've never used the 13A tail - 0.1 mile / minute doesn't appeal and close to pointless. Also it takes up valuable boot / frunk space

I use the Ovo Charge Anytime app - 10p / KW - and let it decide when to charge optimally for the lowest rate. It also allows me to set the minimum charge level to 0%. It does this by creating it's own profile and timers for the PCM. I can also control the departure time too.

If you can switch to Ovo I wouldn't hesitate - absolutely brilliant and cheap as chips

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've never used the 13A tail - 0.1 mile / minute doesn't appeal and close to pointless. Also it takes up valuable boot / frunk space

I use the Ovo Charge Anytime app - 10p / KW - and let it decide when to charge optimally for the lowest rate. It also allows me to set the minimum charge level to 0%. It does this by creating it's own profile and timers for the PCM. I can also control the departure time too.

If you can switch to Ovo I wouldn't hesitate - absolutely brilliant and cheap as chips
Just switched to Octopus. I think that will work better for us. 7.5p/kWh for 6 hours overnight. More in the day, but I think as an overall package it will be cheaper for us

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just switched to Octopus. I think that will work better for us. 7.5p/kWh for 6 hours overnight. More in the day, but I think as an overall package it will be cheaper for us
Fair enough.

OVO isn't limited to overnight periods but any point in a 24 HR period when they determine electricity is cheapest - useful during weekends - and will automatically alter the active profile and timer accordingly.

The integration with the PCM (timers and profiles) keeps everything native which I like too.

Both are very cheap making the public AC charging offerings feel like a total rip-off.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the “intelligent” bit of the Octopus is the same. It might not charge in cheap periods but still gives you the cheap rate. I am not sure how well it will work. Time will tell. But I think it will work for us. If not I can always try Ovo

thebuttonmonkey

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi

Cheers for any help.
As others have said, it's because the car is expecting charge but the charger is essentially 'off' until the timer. You can either set the timer on the PCM/app instead, or if you don't want the charger live when you're not home and it's timer means it stays locked until then (like our Andersen that's driveway accessible to anyone) then set the PCM/charger timer's identically. These will stop the car looking for power and reporting an error until it's timer activates and the charger is 'live'. The car will flash blue instead.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As others have said, it's because the car is expecting charge but the charger is essentially 'off' until the timer. You can either set the timer on the PCM/app instead, or if you don't want the charger live when you're not home and it's timer means it stays locked until then (like our Andersen that's driveway accessible to anyone) then set the PCM/charger timer's identically. These will stop the car looking for power and reporting an error until it's timer activates and the charger is 'live'. The car will flash blue instead.
The wall box / EVSE is not the charger - charger is physically in the car. The wallbox / EVSE simply provides the electricity in a safe way.

I don't understand why EVSE providers continue to market as a "charger" when it patently isnt.

marcusm

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't understand why EVSE providers continue to market as a "charger" when it patently isnt.
Probably for the same reason you call the DC converter you attach to your phone a “charger”. If it connects and leads to charging - it’s a charger. However, you’re absolutely right that the sloppy naming confuses people in the role the device plays when you start looking at details.
Sponsored