T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
I’ve seen this mentioned a few times on the forum.

Given most centres are spread out regionally , usually just off the motorway and equipped with the fast DC chargers.

Is this viable option over the public network, are they often available.

if anyone has experience of this Id like to hear your thoughts

thanks
Sponsored

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Porsche Centres which offer public charging (most but not all of them) will show up in the map on your MyPorsche app. Note that many have their chargers behind locked gates so you need to be aware of the hours shown in the app - the PCM navigation does not take notice of the opening hours and will send you to a closed one.

See elsewhere on the forum for a pricing table I posted. Porsche dealers are among the more expensive chargers although still cheaper than shell, mfg etc.

their network is managed by individual dealers it seems, rather than centrally, so there can be outages - good day they are very fast.

Most UK dealers are happy to see you and may offer a nice cup of coffee etc, but we need to be careful not to abuse this.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I almost never charge away from home but the routes on which I do need to charge have zero Ionity stations anywhere near them so I have used Porsche centre chargers. It always seems like a quick charge because I do window shopping in the showroom.

phib

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
In 35,000 miles only charged 6 times away from home or work and used Porsche centres apart from once. Brilliant every, mostly driven straight into them (Reading, Nottingham, Bristol,Birmingham) by the time had a coffee and natural break back in the car and off you go.
Wouldnt bother with the other chargers unless I really had too.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Super expensive but usually quiet and good eye candy while you wait. I'm fortunate to have 2 Ionity chargers on 2 of my main longer driving routes and those are both faster and a LOT cheaper.

OP
OP

T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
Is it right that they’re open to everyone. Not just Porsches?

OP
OP

T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
Super expensive but usually quiet and good eye candy while you wait. I'm fortunate to have 2 Ionity chargers on 2 of my main longer driving routes and those are both faster and a LOT cheaper.
Very interesting and good to know. Thanks.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Yes ... which was my only anoyance !!
Not surprising as it’s a good earner with charging Kw AND for minutes connected….plus the obvious, a great way to introduce non Porsche EV owners over to Porsche….

captainhoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, BMW X3 M40i
Country flag
If you register to Porsche Charging service (via My Porsche App) and use the Porsche Charging Card which will be sent to you in post, it’s not too bad. Yes you will have to pay per minute as as well as per KW, but the overall cost is less than half of what you would pay at bp Pulse or Shell Recharge stations and it’s mighty fast.

See below the latest pricing:

Porsche Taycan Charging at Porsche Centres (UK) IMG_0896

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I think I've been spoiled by Ionity bring 30p with no time charge, and the only other main away-from-home charger that I use being a 7kW which is 36p with no time charge. The Porsche ones are nice and cheap for the energy but the time charge makes it quite expensive - and frustrating when the charge rate isn't as fast as it should be so it costs you more for the same amount of energy. Maybe I'm just tight and thinking Porsche should be matching Ionity's deal for cars they've sold charging at their own dealer network.

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've only recently moved over to the Taycan after nearly 4 years with a Tesla M3 and its dedicated SC's. I do circa 15 trips a year from Jockland down to the south Midlands so well used to motorway charging. Big problem with Tesla SCs was the Tebay (M6) chargers becoming so busy, which is a little better now they have expanded the number.

So now with the Taycan, I'm now on the public networks but no problem on my route north and south. 3 Ionity chargers – but they are usually busy, a few other 350kWh chargers – and Porsche South Lakes – just off the junction north of Lancaster (I bought the car there 2nd hand). I've been there circa 4 times in the last 6 weeks (late morning/early afternoon) and most of the time the 2 chargers were free and the one time both were occupied, it was not for long. The advantage of these chargers are that they are fast and they charge extra by the minute, so people tend to top up rather than do a 20-30 min charge. They seem to be very welcoming and a coffee no problem. If you are going north and cant get in there, the Burton in Kendal services have 6 * 350kWh chargers and then there are 12 new Ionity chargers in Carlisle.

I'm certainly going to use the Porsche centre chargers if on or near my route.

TwelveAngryMen

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Generally had a warm welcome and a great charging experience so the extra cost is normally justified
Only issue for me is not knowing which are opening hrs only as the PCM doesn’t distinguish
The one exception is OPC Preston who seemingly don’t open their chargers for public charging however their reception and other staff members don't seem to be aware of this
Wasted 30 mins the other day before being told they were broken ( they clearly weren’t ) and to try Booths
Bit galling after our business has spent north of £200k there just over 12 months ago

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
I used one the other day for the first time - Porsche Newcastle, just off the A19 near the Tyne Tunnel. Some quick notes on my experience:

• started first time using charge card 👍
  • Only hit 57kW but the car was cold having only been driven a short distance 😕
  • Free biscuits and hot chocolate (son), and two coffees (me and MiL) which if you bought them outside would be more than the cost of the charge 🎉
  • Superb eye candy and the cars weren’t bad either

My receipt from the Porsche app is below. All in all a very good experience.

FYI, got talking to the service guy and he said that they (non-communal on who “they” were) are planning to build a Porsche lounge charging area ala German centers.

Porsche Taycan Charging at Porsche Centres (UK) 47264725-91C4-4C4C-BED9-64C4A64F60BA
Sponsored