WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Argh. I'm still getting the elusive "grounding device error". Any ideas short of just replacing it with a ClipperCreek? Love love love the Taycan but the software and the charger leave a lot to be desired.

I'm using a 14-50 outlet and have had the electrician back to check it and the wiring all seems fine. The car actually charges successfully but then after the charge is completed the "grounding device error" occurs. The problem only occurs when using a timer - if I do Direct Charging from the app or car with the PMCC it works fine and I do not receive the "grounding device error".

I've been able to reliably reproduce the problem with the following steps:
1. Set a charging timer in the app. I generally use 85% and have the end time set for 7am. It doesn't matter whether I have one or multiple timers active. I generally just have one.
2. I use the general profile. Doesn't matter whether I use optimized charging or time.
3. The car charges successfully to the target charge rate. Sometimes it ends 1% below.
4. The charger shows the charging session was successful
5. If I leave the car plugged in, within about 45 min the fault occurs. The charger release button in the car turns red and the fault shows on the charger. If I unplug the charger from the car as soon as the charging is completed, the fault does not occur.

Here are some applicable screenshots. I have a service appointment in 2 weeks...
Sponsored

Attachments

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I had the same issue until the software update. Since then, no problem.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I had the same issue until the software update. Since then, no problem.
Thanks. I have automatic updates on for the car and for the PMCC so I think I have the latest software versions (I have 2914 for the PMCC). Were you referring to the PMCC software?
Porsche Taycan Charging is not possible - Grounding device error 1603757073610

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
It’s been a while but I think my “grounding device error” is finally fixed. Our electric company (Eversource) has been super helpful. They first replaced some lines feeding our house (didn’t work) and then moved us to a different transformer. We were getting 5ish V drop per line and now we are not. Under load we were seeing about a 4% drop in voltage per line - at the edge of what is normal. In addition to the change to the new transformer, we added two grounding rods right at the meter feed. Our house was built before that was code and is grounded to the copper water main in the house but for good measure we also added the grounding rods. Knock on wood but it’s been a day and all’s good!

I’m hardly an expert on this but it sure seems to me that the PMCC is overly sensitive to what is probably normal variation in residential power. In any case, if you are experiencing this fault you may want to ask your electric company for help improving the quality of the power supplied to the house and take extra measure to ensure a solid ground.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I have the Porsche-branded “pill” — which I believe is abbreviated PMCC — like the one in your photo.

We got our 4S in late August and have driven it 2600 miles. This exact problem just started happening recently. We had a reputable electrician install a 240 V outlet, and also install the pill. It has worked fine until recently when this problem has cropped up.

I cannot find any obvious pattern: sometimes it fully charges to 100%, other times it gets to 80%, and other times to even less.

The dealer, Marin Porsche, simply responded that I need to make an appointment for the car to be tested. I suspect this would be a waste of time, since the problem might be the pill rather than the car.

it would be easier just to have the electrician come back and have a look at things, but if anyone here has any suggestions, I’d be very interested.

B7AB5939-2976-48EA-B4CF-F7EB53C1AC82.jpeg

DDDAAFAD-11A7-4C01-89DC-DC9D57E91E2A.jpeg

F36EABBA-0163-4C1C-A812-266F3A390906.jpeg

F645066D-D009-4CA6-8A4D-7C02688C48AD.jpeg
I have the Porsche-branded “pill” — which I believe is abbreviated PMCC — like the one in your photo.

We got our 4S in late August and have driven it 2600 miles. This exact problem just started happening recently. We had a reputable electrician install a 240 V outlet, and also install the pill. It has worked fine until recently when this problem has cropped up.

I cannot find any obvious pattern: sometimes it fully charges to 100%, other times it gets to 80%, and other times to even less.

The dealer, Marin Porsche, simply responded that I need to make an appointment for the car to be tested. I suspect this would be a waste of time, since the problem might be the pill rather than the car.

it would be easier just to have the electrician come back and have a look at things, but if anyone here has any suggestions, I’d be very interested.

B7AB5939-2976-48EA-B4CF-F7EB53C1AC82.jpeg

DDDAAFAD-11A7-4C01-89DC-DC9D57E91E2A.jpeg

F36EABBA-0163-4C1C-A812-266F3A390906.jpeg

F645066D-D009-4CA6-8A4D-7C02688C48AD.jpeg
I too had this issue and it was frustrating. I finally solved the issue by adding two grounding rods at the power connection to my house and / or by the electric company moving my feed to a closer transformer so there was less line voltage drop under load. Both of those were done the same day so I'm not really sure which fixed the problem.

What did not work was the Porsche dealer checking the car and charger, the electric company replaced some of the power lines coming to my house, my electrician added a dedicated ground from the pmcc outlet to the copper water main that was my main house ground, the electrician checked/tightened all the connections in the breaker box.

You may want to ask your electrician or preferably your electric company to come out and test the line under load. In my case each line was dropping by ~4-5% under the load of the charger. The electric company in my case did a separate load test at the meter and determined that the drop was on the boarder of what they consider acceptable. The electric company also recommended adding the ground rods - this is apparently now code in MA anyway but my house was built prior and just used the water main in the house as ground.

It would be super helpful if Porsche provided clear detailed specifications for the pmcc so our electricians can figure out what to fix. I asked our dealer and they asked Porsche but we never heard back.

Good luck with it!

SalahTaycan

First Name
Salah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
Has anyone seen this error on the charger? It seems to happen randomly which is odd. Most days the car charges fine with no error message, but every once in the while it will stop charging and show this message. The annoying thing is that the Porsche Connect app does not always tell me when it happens so sometimes I wake up to a low battery on the car.

I do have the charger connected to an extension cord going to the Nema 14-50 outlet, but it is rated for higher amps than I am pulling and it's the same one I used with my Tesla for three years. Next step will be to reorganize my entire garage so I can try to plug it into the wall outlet and see if it still happens. I know it says not to use an extension cord in the manual, but this is a pretty standard setup.

IMG_4366.jpeg
Dear all, I had the same problem and when i checked the grounding wire was lose from the main box. I cleaned it up from the dirt and reconnect the grounding wire. Things worked perfectly…. No issue at all.