Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo sedan, Audi S6
Country flag
I thought I'd try posting this here. I have noticed a somewhat quiet clicking/ticking noise that occurs at a rate of almost exactly 1 tick per second. It happens at varied speeds and usually only lasts for 7-10 seconds. By the time I get my phone out to record it, it's usually either too late or I am driving and cannot risk grabbing it. My wife has been in the car twice when it has happened and she agreed that it sounded like it was coming from the center console/armrest area. But it goes away so fast, it's tough to really localize it.

At first I thought it was the Sport Chrono clock itself, since it was so close to clicking once every second, but the last time, I looked closely at the clock, at the clicking rate is slightly off from being exactly 1 per second. It does not sound like the sharp click of a relay opening/closing, but much softer, like the ticking second hand of a wall clock, but slightly more "metallic."

Anyone else heard this, or am I losing my damn mind?!
Sponsored

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Could it be the air vents they have actuators for opening and closing and if a gear is broken it could make such noise.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in my 911 turbo s center console ticking is the wireless key fob sensor it does it to see if key is nearby

but YMMV

OP
OP

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could it be the air vents they have actuators for opening and closing and if a gear is broken it could make such noise.
It's not this, I think, as the sound comes from closer to the cupholder area, and I have had it even with climate control completely off.

in my 911 turbo s center console ticking is the wireless key fob sensor it does it to see if key is nearby

but YMMV
Hmm.... does it do this periodically while driving?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It's not this, I think, as the sound comes from closer to the cupholder area, and I have had it even with climate control completely off.

Hmm.... does it do this periodically while driving?
yes in my case

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I thought I'd try posting this here. I have noticed a somewhat quiet clicking/ticking noise that occurs at a rate of almost exactly 1 tick per second. It happens at varied speeds and usually only lasts for 7-10 seconds. By the time I get my phone out to record it, it's usually either too late or I am driving and cannot risk grabbing it. My wife has been in the car twice when it has happened and she agreed that it sounded like it was coming from the center console/armrest area. But it goes away so fast, it's tough to really localize it.

At first I thought it was the Sport Chrono clock itself, since it was so close to clicking once every second, but the last time, I looked closely at the clock, at the clicking rate is slightly off from being exactly 1 per second. It does not sound like the sharp click of a relay opening/closing, but much softer, like the ticking second hand of a wall clock, but slightly more "metallic."

Normal. Had it in my 4S and now GTS.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I get this noise, not sure what it is but it sounds like some kind of interference with the car communicating with the cell network or my phone.

OP
OP

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Normal. Had it in my 4S and now GTS.
That takes some stress off my mind, thanks! Any idea what it was? Did you ever ask a service tech?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

I hear this noise occasionally in my car. The timing lines up perfectly with the red light on my key fob pulsing on and off. Once I realized that was the root cause I immediately mentally tuned it out.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a weird ticking noise too... I drove 1h30 today and it happened again. I was 90% sure it came from the compass (CT Option) as the sound was in that direction. I was ready to write an email to Porsche but now when reading your posts, I'm in doubt. I'll try to record it when it happens but it's like a very quick ticking sound. I would say faster than 1tick/sec but hard to remember exactly.

OP
OP

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a weird ticking noise too... I drove 1h30 today and it happened again. I was 90% sure it came from the compass (CT Option) as the sound was in that direction. I was ready to write an email to Porsche but now when reading your posts, I'm in doubt. I'll try to record it when it happens but it's like a very quick ticking sound. I would say faster than 1tick/sec but hard to remember exactly.
Once I realized the timing was close to 1 second I, too, was absolutely convinced it was coming from the clock. The best way to get over that perception if you're not moving is to close your eyes. That overcomes any visual bias that your brain is detecting about where the source of the sound is. Once I did that I immediately realized it was closer to the center console area, very near the cup holder.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I get a noise that sounds something like that when I have something in my cupholder. If I move the cup, it changes and sometimes goes away.
Sponsored