Complete brake failure !!

Porcupine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
@Clive you've said you're going to sell the car immediately it's fixed and will lose lots of money on it as a result. I'm sorry to say this, and I understand how scary the brake failure must have been for your wife, but I think this is a knee-jerk reaction that's not logical when you think about how the Taycan works.

Your friction brakes have failed. The burst pipe means the car was unable to apply enough pressure to grip the brake discs and slow the car to a stop. Yes, it's shocking that the friction brakes could have failed on a well-maintained 3 year old car, but this failure could happen to any car that uses flexible pipes to transmit brake fluid pressure. Unfortunately any component - even one as important as a brake pipe - can fail without warning despite passing QA checks during manufacture.

However... you said your wife was able to slow down normally to a very slow speed before the brakes failed. This is because the unique thing about the Taycan is that at speeds above walking pace (where brake failure could be very dangerous) it doesn't use the friction brakes at all*. It uses the electric motors to slow down - as others in this thread have pointed out.

Any car could suffer the failure that yours did. It's not a Taycan problem. Or a Porsche problem. It's a 'sh*t happens' problem. Someone in this thread said it happened to them twice!

Porsche could argue that the Taycan must be the safest car in the world at coping with a burst brake fluid hose, as the friction brakes are not used at higher speeds where loss of fluid pressure could be very dangerous!

If you're selling your car because you've lost confidence in the friction brakes then I'd urge you to step back and consider the logic in my argument.
Whether you can convince your wife to allow you to keep the car is another question... :)

* Assuming 'normal' pedal force in 'normal' driving conditions...
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Clive you've said you're going to sell the car immediately it's fixed and will lose lots of money on it as a result. I'm sorry to say this, and I understand how scary the brake failure must have been for your wife, but I think this is a knee-jerk reaction that's not logical when you think about how the Taycan works.

Your friction brakes have failed. The burst pipe means the car was unable to apply enough pressure to grip the brake discs and slow the car to a stop. Yes, it's shocking that the friction brakes could have failed on a well-maintained 3 year old car, but this failure could happen to any car that uses flexible pipes to transmit brake fluid pressure. Unfortunately any component - even one as important as a brake pipe - can fail without warning despite passing QA checks during manufacture.

However... you said your wife was able to slow down normally to a very slow speed before the brakes failed. This is because the unique thing about the Taycan is that at speeds above walking pace (where brake failure could be very dangerous) it doesn't use the friction brakes at all*. It uses the electric motors to slow down - as others in this thread have pointed out.

Any car could suffer the failure that yours did. It's not a Taycan problem. Or a Porsche problem. It's a 'sh*t happens' problem. Someone in this thread said it happened to them twice!

Porsche could argue that the Taycan must be the safest car in the world at coping with a burst brake fluid hose, as the friction brakes are not used at higher speeds where loss of fluid pressure could be very dangerous!

If you're selling your car because you've lost confidence in the friction brakes then I'd urge you to step back and consider the logic in my argument.
Whether you can convince your wife to allow you to keep the car is another question... :)

* Assuming 'normal' pedal force in 'normal' driving conditions...
I agree the problem described in this thread can happen to any vehicle at any time for any reason. Selling the car makes no sense as this potential problem exists in nearly 100% of vehicle's on the road.

The OP has to do what makes them comfortable but I see nothing so far to indicate a unique problem that could not happen with another mass produced vehicle.

Mechanical things are not 100% reliable - that's a fact, and switching from one mechanical thing to another mechanical thing will not change the potential.

but it's not my call…

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
This type of failure would warrant an investigation since it’s obviously a critical safety component. Hopefully @Clive will get a full explanation from their dealer. I’ve seen a failed brake hose only once before, a C7 Corvette. It was traced back to a mechanic that had briefly dangled the caliper by the hose during a brake service. The crimp fittings on OEM hoses are very sensitive to being pulled on. A good note for anyone servicing their own brakes. Have you had your brakes serviced ever over the 60k miles?

Also, in addition to the regen and parking/emerg brake, brake circuits in all modern cars have redundancy built in where the front and rear brakes are on separate circuits. If pressure is lost in one, you can still build up pressure on the other axle, but it may require a couple pumps of the pedal.

Ruffy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo order placed
Country flag
More details please. No brakes at all from a higher speed would require that both regenerative braking and hydraulic braking failed to work. I'll guess you wife slowed normally until about 3 to 5 mph where regen stops and the mechanical brakes are supposed to have been blended in to bring the car to a stop. Not unknown for the transition to result in a "coasting" feeling that requires additional pedal travel to bring the car to a stop. It's not right and subject to multiple service bulletins. Possible your wife experienced an extreme case of this condition?

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
link
very similar incident happened recently in Belgium, now in the news
(article in french 😑)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
link
very similar incident happened recently in Belgium, now in the news
(article in french 😑)
Title about the Taycan, article starts off about a 922, or is this just an news AI hallucination? Or has Google Translate decided 922 Targa is a Taycan?
Porsche Taycan Complete brake failure !! 1718178503590-c4

Last edited:

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
he had 2 problems. one (noise) with the Targa, not solved, and then the brakes with the Taycan

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
he had 2 problems. one (noise) with the Targa, not solved, and then the brakes with the Taycan
The headline talks about the Taycan, no mention of 922. The article starts off with multiple paragraphs about 922. I lost interest after that, just assumed it's just an AI generated hit piece, filled with unrelated (to the headline) story about unrelated Porsche issues, designef so they can display more adds for the reader to scroll through before getting to information relevant to the headline. Or maybe it's just a style of the news outlet - ramble on about tangentially related stuff before getting to the point of the headline.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Title about the Taycan, article starts off about a 922, or is this just an news AI hallucination? Or has Google Translate decided 922 Targa is a Taycan?
1718178503590-c4.jpg
There is a part of the Taycan further down I the article.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a part of the Taycan further down I the article.
Ok so I went back out of curiosity to see how far down is the headline information buried in the article. Than I came across this:
Porsche Taycan Complete brake failure !! 1718181138016-rd

I do not speak French; is this a translation issue, or do French Taycans have engines they can shut off and restart? How do you start the engine on a French Taycan?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Ok so I went back out of curiosity to see how far down is the headline information buried in the article. Than I came across this:
1718181138016-rd.jpg

I do not speak French; is this a translation issue, or do French Taycans have engines they can shut off and restart? How do you start the engine on a French Taycan?
Good catch!

I am not sure I have an engine in my Taycan, but will go down and have a look for it!

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
owner was told the problem comes from the braking circuit and the flexible pipe that could leak. very similar to what happened to the OP.

He was pissed they do recall for other minor things, and nothing for that very serious issue.
Sponsored