Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, here's the deal: a brand new Taycan 4S which I just picked up on Monday. I set a Profile in the charging menu in my Taycan for Home charging via my Tesla Gen. 2 wall charger with a TeslaTap 60AMP Mini to charge between 1AM and 6AM and last night the car failed to charge as directed in those settings on the car. It charges totally fine in terms of direct charging and is doing so now so I know there's nothing wrong with the equipment.

A bit more background: where we live there is no cell phone coverage and unlike my Tesla, the Taycan evidently has no built in wifi so the Taycan is unable to connect to my home’s router, which seems really shortsighted on Porsche’s part to not include such an inexpensive connectivity protocol.

What am I doing wrong here?
Sponsored

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
have you had the same issue with the tesla mobile ( the one they include in the trunk) charger and tesla tap?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I was having similar trouble with profiles, and a few members here suggested I use a timer only, no profile. It has been working perfectly.

Set a timer with your target SOC (mine set to 80%), and the timer for the end of your discounted rates (mine set to 5:30AM).

The car will estimate when it needs to start and will finish right around the set time.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I use a timer as well for 7:30am departures. Mon-Fri. Car does not start charging till after midnight. I monitor my electricity account.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I watched the YouTube video tutorial three times, adding and deleting, before the system behaved as in the video--criminy this process is convoluted! Hopefully, the car will charge as expected, so thanks for all the tips and tricks!

Last edited:

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, here's the deal: a brand new Taycan 4S which I just picked up on Monday. I set a Profile in the charging menu in my Taycan for Home charging via my Tesla Gen. 2 wall charger with a TeslaTap 60AMP Mini to charge between 1AM and 6AM and last night the car failed to charge as directed in those settings on the car. It charges totally fine in terms of direct charging and is doing so now so I know there's nothing wrong with the equipment.

A bit more background: where we live there is no cell phone coverage and unlike my Tesla, the Taycan evidently has no built in wifi so the Taycan is unable to connect to my home’s router, which seems really shortsighted on Porsche’s part to not include such an inexpensive connectivity protocol.

What am I doing wrong here?
Car does not need to connect to home WiFi (is an option for Russian market). If you have a good cell service then the car will connect to Porsche that way and you can access either via the app or at My Porsche web site.

Read the Porsche Good To Know App on the charging features to get a better understanding of how timers and profiles work - it's easy once you get the concept. Also we'll documented on this forum.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Car does not need to connect to home WiFi (is an option for Russian market). If you have a good cell service then the car will connect to Porsche that way and you can access either via the app or at My Porsche web site.
Understood, but like I said in my OP, there is no cell coverage where we live. Pathetic, but true. I literally had to drive three miles down the road to gain connectivity to establish my user profile via Porsche Connect. Once the car is in the garage, I have no access to the car via the Connect app or the website. Too bad Porsche didn't add wifi capabilities to the car as cell coverage is pretty hit or miss in a lot of the US.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Understood, but like I said in my OP, there is no cell coverage where we live. Pathetic, but true. I literally had to drive three miles down the road to gain connectivity to establish my user profile via Porsche Connect. Once the car is in the garage, I have no access to the car via the Connect app or the website. Too bad Porsche didn't add wifi capabilities to the car as cell coverage is pretty hit or miss in a lot of the US.
Sorry I missed that. It does have WiFi capability but disabled for external connections unless you live in Russia.

My Porsche should always be accessible but the telemetry stored will be out-of-date once connection is lost and (of course) remote settings for the car unavailable.

It may be Porsche decided that 12V battery drain concerns was reason enough to disable home WiFi access thinking everyone had perfect cell coverage.

Good signal or not the connectivity is haphazard and can't be relied upon particularly if the car has been idle for a while rendering all remote features useless.

Once you have timers and profiles set you rarely need to alter, all of which can be configured on the PCM.

Frustrating overall.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you considered using a home "cell spot" like these to create cellular coverage in a dead spot using your home internet connection? (These are not to be confused with cellular hotspots which do the opposite by providing WiFi via a cellular connection.)

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you considered using a home "cell spot" like these to create cellular coverage in a dead spot using your home internet connection? (These are not to be confused with cellular hotspots which do the opposite by providing WiFi via a cellular connection.)
Great idea! Thanks.
Sponsored