Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It's a little bit crazy out there, and I can certainly understand people's reluctance to 'flout' their wealth. But to buy a Volt and keep your money in your savings is not the right thing to do IMO.

Even if you're just buying a $250,000 sculpture, you're injecting money into the economy. Think of all the people that are benefiting by your spending money - from the production worker to the supplier to the dealer. The best thing we can do to stimulate the economy is to spend money, and that's what I intend to do.
Sponsored

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
It's a little bit crazy out there, and I can certainly understand people's reluctance to 'flout' their wealth. But to buy a Volt and keep your money in your savings is not the right thing to do IMO.

Even if you're just buying a $250,000 sculpture, you're injecting money into the economy. Think of all the people that are benefiting by your spending money - from the production worker to the supplier to the dealer. The best thing we can do to stimulate the economy is to spend money, and that's what I intend to do.
On that logic would you not be better buying four Or five bolts? Or three Tesla’s
As surely that would stimulate the economy more !

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
On that logic would you not be better buying four Or five bolts? Or three Tesla’s
As surely that would stimulate the economy more !
As a famous economist noted, you're better off in a depression to use as many hotel towels as you can - stimulates hiring. So, you are probably correct here. But my point is still valid - you need to spend your money.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As a famous economist noted, you're better off in a depression to use as many hotel towels as you can - stimulates hiring. So, you are probably correct here. But my point is still valid - you need to spend your money.
Agree, and that’s why I’m keeping order. The economy in the US is getting reshaped before our eyes, but will return, in a new form. Also, I’m not getting any younger, want an EV, and want a Porsche. And my wife hasn‘t said anything about my order so I’m going to take advantage of that:CWL:

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Hi what sort of delivery did Arval give you? I ordered one a couple of months ago but had no indication when delivery would be. Thanks
Arval use Dick Lovett, the only Porsche dealership that they do use I believe, I rang the dealership a couple of months ago and they said best case was October, worst case was March 2021, but they were waiting on a new set of build slots to be made available. But to be honest things have changed since then, so I decided just to get my order in and worry about the delivery date later as they just do not know.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I never placed an order. I had actually sold my index fund shares when things had just started to sour but before they really tanked and IIRC before there were any lock downs outside of China, because I was planning on ordering. More to the point I'd had enough of Tesla and needed something else. Does it even make sense to try and place an order now while the factory is shut down? I'm not sure.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
... Also, I’m not getting any younger, want an EV, and want a Porsche. And my wife hasn‘t said anything about my order so I’m going to take advantage of that:CWL:
Correct! Besides business is only down 14% so far! Driving up our car park with all these luxury cars, including RRs and Ferrari's, our Taycan will fly under the radar!

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Everyone has a unique situation with the times we are in and more so on this forum as there are people from all over the world on here.

1. There will be people working in Medicine or Pharmaceuticals making a hay day out of the situation and earning big bucks (even though working VERY VERY hard and in tough conditions).
  2. There will be people who own non essential businesses with HUGE overheads that will not be earning anything and if anything on the verge of maybe losing their business if this goes on for another couple of months.
  3. There will then be people like my nephew a Pilot who has been Furloughed so not earning anywhere near what he used to, car salesmen, estate agents etc but then there are footballers for whom the change in income is a drop in the ocean.
Many people many different situations as I can see from the posts on the last 17 pages.

We're all grown up enough to know what is good for ourselves. Many will take delivery and many will indeed cancel. It's a sad time to be in as we were all very excited about this car.

I am still totally confused and will revisit once the dealers are reopen and we are out of lockdown!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I never placed an order. I had actually sold my index fund shares when things had just started to sour but before they really tanked and IIRC before there were any lock downs outside of China, because I was planning on ordering. More to the point I'd had enough of Tesla and needed something else. Does it even make sense to try and place an order now while the factory is shut down? I'm not sure.
If you are planning to order, may as well order now. The factories will open soon and cancelled orders may mean you are higher on the list. Good luck!

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Does it even make sense to try and place an order now while the factory is shut down? I'm not sure.
The sooner you order, the sooner you get the car. It's probably going to be late this year at the earliest. All up to you though.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Not cancelling. Just worried that the summer time is so short in Finland, at this rate it'll be over before I get my Taycan. That is the biggest shame if any. Truly hoping the factory is able to open soon as my car was in production, and shouldn't be that far off from finish & delivery. Still have my hopes up for a late June delivery. If it's any later than that, it'll be a short summer with the car.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Whats the consensus now that we are 3 months into Covid and seems like the worst has past?

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Whats the consensus now that we are 3 months into Covid and seems like the worst has past?

I'm unclear why you believe the worst is past. With so many people up and about and mingling and whatnot, I'm predicting by the middle of June the numbers really start to spike again. And since this genie is out of the bottle, it's not likely going to go back in. Getting people out of their homes and into a restaurant (for example) is an economic decision, not a public health decision. My guess is (here in the U.S.) we double our numbers of dead and infected in the next 3 months. As I posted somewhere else: "This is the worst catastrophe in the history of the country. We have never before lost 100,000 people to a single cause in a three month period. Not during any natural disaster. Not during any previous disease epidemic. Not during the worst days of WWII, the Civil War, or any other war. We have not experienced death on this scale from any cause, ever in the history of our nation. And we are only just getting started."

I don't plan on cancelling, to answer your question directly. Circumstances may dictate I do, but until then, it's full steam ahead.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

I also don't think that there is a big probability that the worst has passed. It would be very nice if it were so, but what leads you to assume it?

I think you can assume with very high probability that mass behavioral changes and lockdowns work against Covid. This is proven, IMHO. Looking at the data from Sweden, you can also deduce that if you don't have the mass behavioral changes and lockdowns, but only some weaker new rules and some hard to measure, more voluntary behavioral changes, you'll not see a slowdown of the disease: There, daily new cases have stayed up for about two months now, with some typical weekly patterns. The hoped-for general reduction which can be seen in states such as Norway isn't there. So it is already obvious from this frightening social experiment that the Swedes made that other, comparable states have been extremely more successful in dealing with Covid than Sweden has.

What this means is that if you relax your rules, your state or entity may drift towards Swedish conditions, where you have to disease continuously burning through your population, particularly killing the elderly. That is a high price to pay and a terrible decision to make. And it means that the worst has not passed. Relax your rules and social constraints, and the disease will come back. Not even New York has herd immunity yet, by far.

The good news is that more and more is learned about the disease, so that treatment may be a bit better, a vaccine is drawing closer (hopefully), the old-school measures against spread may be more fine tuned, some communities (e.g. New Zealand) have a chance of eradicating the virus and keeping it out by being very strict and so on. The bad news is of course, that besides to all the being sick and dying, we have a terrible recession/depression unfolding.

On electrek, one commenter made an interesting observation regarding the economy: "There is a saying that people don't starve in the winter, they starve in the springtime." This isn't over yet.

Cheers,
Henrik

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Here in China it is old news. Virus is gone and life back to the way it was before. Just the export economy is reeling and the border is locked for foreigners. No international traveling for me, means more money I can spend on my new Taycan 4S+! :)
Sponsored