Dirty sock smell and Porsche

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
first, i have not had this problem - more of a question about preventive maintenance.

the issue is with some cars, use of the AC and condensation and the right conditions (sorry for being too technical) may result in the air from the AC smelling like a dirty gym sock due to mold building on the condenser.

in 30 years of car ownership, i only had this once with a MB, and it was awful and took the dealer time to fix.

is porsche prone to these issues?
the taycan specifically?
any suggestions on preventative measures?

i live on northern california, so not excessively humid, but we do get hot days where i use the ac a lot.

thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
first, i have not had this problem - more of a question about preventive maintenance.

the issue is with some cars, use of the AC and condensation and the right conditions (sorry for being too technical) may result in the air from the AC smelling like a dirty gym sock due to mold building on the condenser.

in 30 years of car ownership, i only had this once with a MB, and it was awful and took the dealer time to fix.

is porsche prone to these issues?
the taycan specifically?
any suggestions on preventative measures?

i live on northern california, so not excessively humid, but we do get hot days where i use the ac a lot.

thanks for any advice.
I've owned 7 different Porsches and the Taycan (currently awaiting transport from the port) will be #8. Never had that issue with any of them, but I know what you're talking about - my sister had that issue in a big/bad way with a Ford Taurus several years ago.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We had it in a Model 3. Every year actually.

Have not seen it in my 2 months of Taycan ownership, nor with any other Porsche I ever owned.

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
Same here I don't have this issue so far and since I have the car almost 3+ months.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had this with a previous car and found that replacing the cabin air filter with one that was "carbonized" killed any smells.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
My Taycon smells like dirty socks, but only when my son is in the car. I find that removing said heir from the vehicle takes care of the smell immediately.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
We had it in a Model 3. Every year actually.

Have not seen it in my 2 months of Taycan ownership, nor with any other Porsche I ever owned.
2020 Model 3. Never had the musty smell - I posted on Tesla forums about it. Determined that by NEVER using RECIRC mode I never had the problem. I live in humid S. Florida.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
We call this problem in our Model 3 "Elon's Musk."

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I get it in my BMW, it is terrible, all I do is change the cabin filter and spray Lysol into the cabin air intake under the hood with the blower running. Works great.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
my wife tells me not to take my shoes off when i drive. That seems to fix the issue too.