do I really need Sport Chrono?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have used the sport setting on my Audi to change to a more aggressive gear shift when driving uphill. I knew I needed easy access to mode change, so the button made the sport chrono a very easy option for me.
That does not compute.:rolleyes:
Sponsored

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I use the sports chrono switch all the time.

Leave home on Individual (lift on due to my driveway incline)
Hit the side roads and I change to Sport to enjoy the spirited drive
Get on to Main roads and change to normal for relaxed driving
Hit the Highway/Motorway and I change to Range mode

Would have been a proper pain in the butt if I need to do this without the steering wheel cog changer.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I understand the concern for the clock, and thought I am new to owning a Porsche, I appreciate their heritage shown by the clock.
To add some more context to the heritage of the "clock", although it does function as a clock, those familiar with Porsche appreciate its past significance as a stopwatch/chronograph for use at the track. Hence the reason for the name of the option package - Sport Chrono (not Sport Clock) - and its prominent placement on the top of the dash for line of sight at the track. Yes the Taycan also has an electronic version that can be configured on the driver console, but as mentioned by @ron_b and some others its presence on the dash is the tie to heritage and the track.

If you are at a Porsche get together with other Porschephiles, my advice is not to make fun of the stopwatch on the top of the dash (similar to mispronouncing Ferdinand Porsche's last name as Porsh instead of Porshah).

Porsche Taycan do I really need Sport Chrono? Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 5.16.49 AM

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
If you are at a Porsche get together with other Porschephiles, my advice is not to make fun of the stopwatch on the top of the dash (similar to mispronouncing Ferdinand Porsche's last name as Porsh instead of Porshah).
Yes, I understand the risk of being burned at the stake by Porsche [Sorry, Porsch-uh] fans for not liking the Sport Chrono stopwatch on the dash, hence posting this thread on the Taycan forums rather than Rennlist!

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
That does not compute.:rolleyes:
I had an automatic 150 hp Audi A4 and I live in a hilly town. It was easier to change the drive mode to Sport than to fiddle with manual shifting while going uphill. I hope that explains the logic a little bit clearer.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I had an automatic 150 hp Audi A4 and I live in a hilly town. It was easier to change the drive mode to Sport than to fiddle with manual shifting while going uphill. I hope that explains the logic a little bit clearer.
I totally understand that. I drove my A7 the same way. But how does that relate to a very powerful EV with basically no gear?

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
I didn't order SC because I will never track my 4s, the clock doesn't work for me and I had to save $ somewhere! My car is due in any day now and the one question I still have is if 'low' in range mode is the same low that's in sport+
Are the dampers adjusted? Can the spring rate change?

plumandreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4
Country flag
In answer to the original question.. I didn't order sports Chrono. The only thing I can see that I don't have is an easy way to change into Range mode. Apart from that Sport+ is doesn't really add anything to my mind. The suspension modes are the same without it. Apparently it doesn't affect the PSM settings. It just adds a dash wart (Which I feel doesn't fit the Taycan as it has no analogue dials - it looks mis-placed to me) and a dial on the wheel. Maybe the sport sound would be louder with it. But it's fine as is.

To wart or not to wart.. That is the question! :)

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If the clock was recessed like in other models it wouldn’t be so intrusive/ ugly.
maybe it can be removed and kept as an ornament:CWL:
I have to agree on the clock - I much prefer the recessed clock in my Panamera.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
In answer to the original question.. I didn't order sports Chrono. The only thing I can see that I don't have is an easy way to change into Range mode. Apart from that Sport+ is doesn't really add anything to my mind. The suspension modes are the same without it. Apparently it doesn't affect the PSM settings. It just adds a dash wart (Which I feel doesn't fit the Taycan as it has no analogue dials - it looks mis-placed to me) and a dial on the wheel. Maybe the sport sound would be louder with it. But it's fine as is.

To wart or not to wart.. That is the question! :)
I understand that it may have nostalgic value, but the clock feels/looks anachronistic in the Taycan which otherwise is almost too sleek as a couple of functional knobs or switches (e.g. airflow control) would have been welcome.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I totally understand that. I drove my A7 the same way. But how does that relate to a very powerful EV with basically no gear?
I was more thinking along the lines of, you're cruising nicely in range mode because you're on a long trip, and then you suddenly need to overtake, so to get more punch, you switch to normal or sport mode.

Will it make a difference? I don't know.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was more thinking along the lines of, you're cruising nicely in range mode because you're on a long trip, and then you suddenly need to overtake, so to get more punch, you switch to normal or sport mode.

Will it make a difference? I don't know.
Yes, changing to normal or sport does change the throttle response. However, even in range mode if you floor the accelerator it will disengage the max speed limiter and take off, but not as controlled I would say. But handy if you need to avoid an accident quickly.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn't order SC because I will never track my 4s, the clock doesn't work for me and I had to save $ somewhere! My car is due in any day now and the one question I still have is if 'low' in range mode is the same low that's in sport+
Are the dampers adjusted? Can the spring rate change?
Yes, it’s the same. You can manually set it through the button on the dash display or through PCM. I generally keep it in low all the time and that setting survives when you shutdown the car. I also keep the car in Sport suspension mode, so the ride is a little firmer and like the height setting, it’s maintained between sessions, so that solves all of my problems and toggling between Normal and Sport with the button has worked just fine for me. And, I have a nice clean dash with nothing interrupting the view of the amazing front fenders.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
I think the sound is off in sport mode and on in sports plus. I tend to use either range mode or sports plus ( either eco or full fat mode)
The below chart is from the Porsche good to know app. Could be helpful for this string. For anyone who specs Electric sport sound separately, you can also use either diamond favorites button (on dash or steering wheel) to easily turn it on and off.

Driving mode
RANGE
NORMAL
SPORT
SPORT PLUS
Launch Control
Cannot be activated​
Cannot be activated​
Can be activated​
Can be activated​
Basic overrun boost recuperation setting
Off​