Do the brake lights come on when regen active?

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
As the title says...tend to use the auto regeneration in rush hour traffic as it can be helpful for safety (I know not foolproof) . However do the brake lights come on when it activates or not?
TIA
Sponsored

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
They must do!

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Yes, of course.

This is a simple problem that's been solved from the very first EVs and hybrids. As soon as the deceleration is over a certain amount the brake lights come on. Same thing for adaptive cruise control slowing the car down.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Are you guys serious? I'v'e wondered about this too..... but hadn't bothered to have anyone look outside the car. I figured they must not.... it made more sense to be that they didn't.
This would be akin to engine breaking and your brake lights come on? Of course not...... or downshifting and your brake lights come on? WTF? I mean the braking is substantial but I didn't figure it was enough that brake lights would activate.
Are you guys sure of this? Have witnessed it? and/or this is industry standard? Would it not depend on the degree of deceleration associated with recuperation, and ie. Porsche known to be mild compared to Tesla one foot braking.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I've driven my wife's e-Tron at night often and it's easy to see in the side view mirrors that the brake lights do come on whenever regeneration is active.

I haven't thought to check the Taycan for this feature after dark, but I'd bet money that they do illuminate under regen. They even did on our old BMW i3. If you watch your mirrors at night, you'll be able to confirm.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
It's not just any regen triggering it, only beyond a certain amount of deceleration. Beyond what would be normal engine braking in a gas car.

It works well. Don't worry about it. You don't look erratic, and you're not doing anything unsafe.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you guys serious? I'v'e wondered about this too..... but hadn't bothered to have anyone look outside the car. I figured they must not.... it made more sense to be that they didn't.
This would be akin to engine breaking and your brake lights come on? Of course not...... or downshifting and your brake lights come on? WTF? I mean the braking is substantial but I didn't figure it was enough that brake lights would activate.
Are you guys sure of this? Have witnessed it? and/or this is industry standard? Would it not depend on the degree of deceleration associated with recuperation, and ie. Porsche known to be mild compared to Tesla one foot braking.
Taycan can regen up to 265kw... Almost quadruple the max regen capacity of tesla model 3. It would be negligent not to have brake lights activate. Even when you're pushing on the brakes hard, the braking is achieved via regen, not friction pads. Engine braking achieved by ICE is trivial compared to Taycan's regen braking.

Different EV manufactures have different strategies of regen... You can learn more about it here: https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Taycan can regen up to 265kw... Almost quadruple the max regen capacity of tesla model 3. It would be negligent not to have brake lights activate. Even when you're pushing on the brakes hard, the braking is achieved via regen, not friction pads. Engine braking achieved by ICE is trivial compared to Taycan's regen braking.

Different EV manufactures have different strategies of regen... You can learn more about it here: https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/
I think you misunderstood what I was referring to.
I meant simply when you lift off the accelerator, not applying the brakes, and recuperation is active. That is certainly not 265kW of braking force. I'm well aware of the sort of energy and force involved with the motors working in reverse.
So let me rephrase the question- when the recuperation button is activated, the accelerator is lifted off, and the brakes are NOT APPLIED, do the brake lights illuminate? I think there might even be some sort of DOT provision against this.

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
I think you misunderstood what I was referring to.
I meant simply when you lift off the accelerator, not applying the brakes, and recuperation is active. That is certainly not 265kW of braking force. I'm well aware of the sort of energy and force involved with the motors working in reverse.
So let me rephrase the question- when the recuperation button is activated, the accelerator is lifted off, and the brakes are NOT APPLIED, do the brake lights illuminate? I think there might even be some sort of DOT provision against this.
You've articulated and clarified my original question better than I did ?‍♂

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
As the title says...tend to use the auto regeneration in rush hour traffic as it can be helpful for safety (I know not foolproof) . However do the brake lights come on when it activates or not?
TIA
No, they don't.
They only come on when you actually touch the brake pedal.

My BMW i3 had one pedal driving and the regen is much stronger so every time you let off the accelerator pedal, the brake lights came on.
So annoying for other drivers...

The Taycan works way better, like a ICE-car with engine braking, no brake lights.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
No, they don't.
They only come on when you actually touch the brake pedal.

My BMW i3 had one pedal driving and the regen is much stronger so every time you let off the accelerator pedal, the brake lights came on.
So annoying for other drivers...

The Taycan works way better, like a ICE-car with engine braking, no brake lights.
Yeah I was hoping this was the case and figuring it was...... thank God.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
They don't light up on mine at speeds <40mph. I was worried that I might look like a doofus if they light up every time i lift off the accelerator. I haven't had a chance to check at higher speeds though but there is a significant light difference in the rear-view if you simply let off the accelerator (no difference) and if you tap the brakes (rear-view reflections lights up red)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am sure when the question came up on here before that the answer was the brake lights will come on whether using the brake pedal or lifting off accelerator braking - only above a certain level of G force decelaration.

Which is set akin to using brakes in an ICE vehicle.