Do the brake lights come on when regen active?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I am sure when the question came up on here before that the answer was the brake lights will come on whether using the brake pedal or lifting off accelerator braking - only above a certain level of G force decelaration.

Which is set akin to using brakes in an ICE vehicle.
If you are on auto, depending on traffic in front of you, the brake lights will come on but that's actual braking to slow down (whether or not regen is used for that braking).
Letting off the accelerator isn't braking, that's where the difference is.
Sponsored

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'd like to see something more definitive about the algorithm used for employing the brake lights when ACC is being used (as well as regen when coasting without pushing the brake pedal). I wonder if Porsche has this available anywhere...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
This is a simple problem that's been solved from the very first EVs and hybrids. As soon as the deceleration is over a certain amount the brake lights come on. Same thing for adaptive cruise control slowing the car down.
Recently I have confirmed the brake lights do not activate under recuperation even at max recup/g force. Auto or ON modes. This was on my 2021 RWD.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Recently I have confirmed the brake lights do not activate under recuperation even at max recup/g force. Auto or ON modes. This was on my 2021 RWD.
That’s my finding as well.
brake lights could be activated only when you press on brake pedal.
personally, i think it’s a huge security issue.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I don't see it to be a big deal since ICE cars/trucks engine brake with no light activation.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I don't see it to be a big deal since ICE cars/trucks engine brake with no light activation.
But Not so hard as by autoregen and ICE won’t stop completely.
maybe i’m overreacting, but i don’t feel comfortable in traffic if i’m not using breaks,

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The car doesnt one pedal drive. If anything the brake light coming on with such a light impact on speed would be dangerous (and as the OP was wondering, look very erratic). Basic downshifting has more of an impact on speed that Porsche regen, yet they recoup energy better than Tesla...well done Porsche!

rowi

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, MY 2021
Country flag
Wasn't it a legal thing, at least in Europe, that when the car brakes more than 1m/s^2 (or so), that the brake lights must illuminate? Would at least make sense. Regen will be less, I guess, so lights off. Unfortunately I'm mostly _in_ the car, so, it's hard to see. But I also thought of putting a mirror or voltage meter on to check this.

Dr.D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tincan hatch
Country flag
As the title says...tend to use the auto regeneration in rush hour traffic as it can be helpful for safety (I know not foolproof) . However do the brake lights come on when it activates or not?
TIA
The wife fancies herself as a bit of an uberjogger, so I’ll get her to jump out at the next hill and I’m sure she’ll see red ;)

Dr.D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tincan hatch
Country flag
The wife fancies herself as a bit of an uberjogger, so I’ll get her to jump out at the next hill and I’m sure she’ll see red ;)

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
They dont come on with basic liftoff regen. They do come on the second you touch the brake pedal though. I hate the notion that I'm looking like someone lazily resting my foot on the brake pedal so I tend to switch the steering wheel regen on when i want a bit of slow regen downhill - rather than looking like a nervous driver cooking his brakes for a mile!

I always wondered what is most efficient a slow long gentle regen or a short harder one?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I always wondered what is most efficient a slow long gentle regen or a short harder one?
Should be slow as “none” would be most efficient. The more you use drag to slow down, the better. At least from a decel efficiency standpoint.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've ridden motorcycles for decades and this is a common issue on bikes like Ducati's that have very strong engine braking characteristics when you come off the throttle. It's a problem for inattentive drivers behind you.
It really comes down to being aware of your surroundings because there really are so many crap drivers out there....plus cell phones
Sponsored