Regenerative Braking - brake lights on?

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Are the brake lights on when I release the accelerator?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
There is another thread here about that. No, they are not illuminated under recuperation modes -only when brake pedal is depressed.

Reactions: B61

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The brake lights illuminate when the car is decelerating above a certain point (some number of tenths of a G - I don't know what the point is) regardless of why the car is decelerating (e.g. Adaptive Cruise Control or Auto Regen or you pushed the brake pedal). That said, the regen on (not auto) setting does not exceed that threshold so with only that setting, the brake lights will not illuminate when you lift completely off of the throttle.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Confirmed.
But I think that might be dangerous for driver(s) behind you.
Afterall, regen braking is slowing the car and one might react too slow, especially nowadays, when there are lots of distractions in the cabin (screens, mobile phones, ...) or outside (visibility conditions,...etc)..
Therefore, I'd definitely prefer any kind of blinking... that's why I'm using brakes if there are others behind.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Are the brake lights on when I release the accelerator?
No - of course not (safety).

They are on when either you brake, perform an emergency manoeuvre / stop suddently or HOLD is activated and your foot is not on the brake pedal.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The lift off regeneration deceleration is set to approximate the deceleration of an IC engined car when you lift off the accelerator, and there are plenty of them about without the brake lights coming on...
I agree on the overrun recup on, but I’m not sure there is any good feedback anywhere about the operation in auto, as this can be much higher.

It seems like it’s slightly harder to test also since you have to create a situation to generate the higher regen. If the light comes on, then we know. But if it doesn’t, there’s some question about whether or not the specific test generated the maximum regen in auto. E.g. if the test is while approaching a vehicle at some speed and they don’t turn on, would the regen be higher and turn them on at a higher speed? How far is someone willing to take those tests? I’ll leave that testing to someone else. ?

I’ve tried looking for US regulations (as that’s where I am) on brake lights and deceleration requirements. I haven’t found anything. But I’d be surprised if there isn’t something.

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
The lift off regeneration deceleration is set to approximate the deceleration of an IC engined car when you lift off the accelerator, and there are plenty of them about without the brake lights coming on...
I don't have even close experiences in mechanical engineering as you are, but I was testing recup deceleration in different ways (automate and non-automate mode), with different conditions... and I could not agree completely with you.
You see, it looks/feels similar to an ICE in the beginning, but it is definitely not "linear", I mean it's more like if you press the pedal just a little (in the beginning), and after that a little more, and more... it actualy almost stops the car, if needed... and that's not the case of an ICE car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I don't have even close experiences in mechanical engineering as you are, but I was testing recup deceleration in different ways (automate and non-automate mode), with different conditions... and I could not agree completely with you.
You see, it looks/feels similar to an ICE in the beginning, but it is definitely not "linear", I mean it's more like if you press the pedal just a little (in the beginning), and after that a little more, and more... it actualy almost stops the car, if needed... and that's not the case of an ICE car.
Are you referring to the "auto" setting here? I meant regeneration "on"
Apologies.
I would imagine, as @Jhenson29 noted there will be regulations for a rate of deceleration requiring the brake lights to be on.
I will delete my post.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Are you referring to the "auto" setting here? I meant regeneration "on"
Apologies.
I would imagine, as @Jhenson29 noted there will be regulations for a rate of deceleration requiring the brake lights to be on.
I will delete my post.
Yes, I meant “auto”. And I haven’t seen any brake lights….while i’ve seen red in my mirror, when i press pedal.
Sponsored