SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Mostly I’m using the ChargePoint Flex.
(Failed twice out of 5 overnight charging sessions)

I used the Porsche charger once. No failure.

No tests yet, post recall fix.
Don

Did you say in a past post you also has an older version of the ChargePoint perhaps try that one... I still think its something to do with the charge and the car data communication before or right after the charging session thats wigging out the Taycan safety system. Also did you confirm the electrician you used installed the new Flex correctly and used the right wire gauge size and a good quality breaker
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Given how simple the "communication" is from the EVSE (as almost all the smarts are in the car for AC charging, the EVSE is mostly a dumb box), I'm surprised there's something that the EVSE could do that would affect anything other than charge/no charge.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Don

Did you say in a past post you also has an older version of the ChargePoint perhaps try that one... I still think its something to do with the charge and the car data communication before or right after the charging session thats wigging out the Taycan safety system. Also did you confirm the electrician you used installed the new Flex correctly and used the right wire gauge size and a good quality breaker
I have owned other CP brand chargers... but I left them attached to my old house in California.

Yes, the electrician has checked his work. Breaker looks new and high quality. This is one of the bigger, more reputable Electrical contractors in the city. The inspector on a past job asked who I’d be ising for this job, and when I told him who it was, he said, “Good choice, they do good work.”
Also, my father was an electrical engineer (designed central office backup power supplies. Ever seen a 1.1V lead acid battery the size of a washing machine?!?). When he retired, he became the neighborhood electrician. So, I picked up some knowledge by osmosis.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given how simple the "communication" is from the EVSE (as almost all the smarts are in the car for AC charging, the EVSE is mostly a dumb box), I'm surprised there's something that the EVSE could do that would affect anything other than charge/no charge.
Its not totally dumb, it need to be told what its receiving and confirm that it also agrees as I said before I had an issue with one of my EVs when charging it would just stop and the car would have an error reading it was the position of the breaker we switched its location and replaced it and the issue went away.... I guess it didn't like the current flow it was receiving

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It might not be Negotiation software. It might be the EV cable. It might also be something about the App on my phone waking up the car, and changing settings while it is still connected. I reserve judgement on cause... I just want to find a rock solid repro case.

I’m the tester, not the fixer. :cool:

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have owned other CP brand chargers... but I left them attached to my old house in California.

Yes, the electrician has checked his work. Breaker looks new and high quality. This is one of the bigger, more reputable Electrical contractors in the city. The inspector on a past job asked who I’d be ising for this job, and when I told him who it was, he said, “Good choice, they do good work.”
Also, my father was an electrical engineer (designed central office backup power supplies. Ever seen a 1.1V lead acid battery the size of a washing machine?!?). When he retired, he became the neighborhood electrician. So, I picked up some knowledge by osmosis.
Since the Porsche supplied charger works all the time and the Chargepoint only sometimes it just seems to make sense the Chargepoint is telling the car its going to receive X but sends Y and the car gets a OS crash

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It might not be Negotiation software. It might be the EV cable. It might also be something about the App on my phone waking up the car, and changing settings while it is still connected. I reserve judgement on cause... I just want to find a rock solid repro case.

I’m the tester, not the fixer. :cool:
Do you have a different charger you can try besides the Porsche one and the ChargepointFlex? Would be interesting to see how a regular Chargepoint or a Jukebox 50 handle the car....

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since the Porsche supplied charger works all the time and the Chargepoint only sometimes it just seems to make sense the Chargepoint is telling the car its going to receive X but sends Y and the car gets a OS crash
We don’t think it is crashing. We think it is just keeping everything awake (except the part that recharges the 12v from the 800v battery)

“We” is the guy at Porsche Tech line.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have a different charger you can try besides the Porsche one and the ChargepointFlex? Would be interesting to see how a regular Chargepoint or a Jukebox 50 handle the car....
I don’t. I gave away all my old chargers to newby EV owners.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We don’t think it is crashing. We think it is just keeping everything awake (except the part that recharges the 12v from the 800v battery)

“We” is the guy at Porsche Tech line.
Crashing, freezing, locking, tripping... it just seems like the car is being put in a alert error mode that then makes it just sit there and deplete the 12v batterie over the next few hours

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t. I gave away all my old chargers to newby EV owners.
Have many other owners had this issues and if so what charger are they using Maybe Chargepoint cant sent you a replacement one to test
You could get one on Amazon Prime either a Chargepoint or Juicbox and just test it but then return it after the test is complete

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Given that the J1772 Control Pilot line is just a 1kHz square wave that the car reads the duty cycle of to find out how many amps the EVSE can supply, I'm surprised that other than not charging the EVSE would matter. Now with a grounding issue in the car, the result might be that the EVSE can't tell if the car is charging or not (because the car adds some resistance to signal it's charging, pulling the voltage lower on the Control Pilot), and maybe that causes the ChargePoint to not charge or something.... but the car is still in charge of everything, so who knows.

When you press the button on the connector, that lowers the resistance too, to warn the car that disconnect is about to happen, so weird stuff can happen there too I guess...

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given that the J1772 Control Pilot line is just a 1kHz square wave that the car reads the duty cycle of to find out how many amps the EVSE can supply, I'm surprised that other than not charging the EVSE would matter. Now with a grounding issue in the car, the result might be that the EVSE can't tell if the car is charging or not (because the car adds some resistance to signal it's charging, pulling the voltage lower on the Control Pilot), and maybe that causes the ChargePoint to not charge or something.... but the car is still in charge of everything, so who knows.

When you press the button on the connector, that lowers the resistance too, to warn the car that disconnect is about to happen, so weird stuff can happen there too I guess...
Maybe Im misinformed and Ive been wrong before. But this is exactly what Im talking about if the EVSE is told one amp and supplies differently OR it detects a different amperage OR when it attempts to STOP the charge session the chargers ability to receive a STOP is a lower amp then supplied it will trigger an error at least that was the case with my VW and Audi.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have many other owners had this issues and if so what charger are they using Maybe Chargepoint cant sent you a replacement one to test
You could get one on Amazon Prime either a Chargepoint or Juicbox and just test it but then return it after the test is complete
I’m trying to draw a line between being a helpful customer and being an unpaid part of Porsche’s QA team.

If this becomes work, I need better information from Porsche, and I need someone to send my consulting agreement to (so they can pay me). :cool:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m trying to draw a line between being a helpful customer and being an unpaid part of Porsche’s QA team.

If this becomes work, I need better information from Porsche, and I need someone to send my consulting agreement to (so they can pay me). :cool:
You should ask. Worse they can say is no. Best is, they give you the next 3 years of 30 minute charging at EA ;)
Sponsored