Consensus on proper maintenance of the 12V battery while on vacation?

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I usually make sure my car is between 40-80% SOC and never use a trickle charger. I WFH and have left my Taycan in the garage for weeks at a time. No issues with the 12V battery.

Usually the online services take a bit to connect (2-3 minutes?), I get lots of map updates, and consumption is a bit higher for the first bit of driving.
Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Agree it should not be a problem, but it seems the 12 volt battery will only receive a charge from the main battery for 8
12EF1032-69E1-469D-94A0-0D63DAEF449F.png
cycles. And perhaps I just ran out of cycles. I did not try to communicate with the car since I knew waking it up will take power out. But perhaps the car tried to send something to mothership from where it stood parked. And I have not checked for network coverage there either.

Have a look at the Audi trading manual which was posted here in the Forum.
Very interesting but what would the rationale be for only 8 charge cycles if the main battery still has a decent charge?Also this assumes that the Porsche architecture is the same as Audi"s

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
I have always charged my car to 100% every day for the last 3 years. Left it for weeks at the airport or in the garage. After 3 years not lost one mile of range.
Treat it like it’s a washing machine and you’ll be fine.
Totally agree I have the same experience leaving the car for weeks at a time and no significant change in both the SOC and the voltage of the 12 volt battery ie 13.4 Volts.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Very interesting but what would the rationale be for only 8 charge cycles if the main battery still has a decent charge?Also this assumes that the Porsche architecture is the same as Audi"s
Only Porsche knows! Good question if Taycan and Audi share the same sw. My guess is YES! You will also see a lot of parts in either car being fully interchangeable.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Only Porsche knows! Good question if Taycan and Audi share the same sw. My guess is YES! You will also see a lot of parts in either car being fully interchangeable.

The largest Porsche dealer in the world is located here in south florida ie Porsche Champion and i think the world of their technical department so I am going to follow up on this question of how many charging cycles the Taycan will allow.Will let you know the result

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Not what my OPC said. I've been in discussion with them for several weeks about the lithium 12v, after it failed twice with 2 weeks non-use.

They recommended trickle charging it if I wasn't going to use the car for prolongued periods - the manual says the same. I got a Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro Charger - 'with trickle charging and battery monitoring functions as well as two charging modes for Porsche 12V lead-acid batteries and Porsche 12V lithium-ion batteries'.

1676551168897.png
I plan to get this one as well to trickle charge 12v when not connected to EVSE for long periods of time, for me 2-4 weeks is about max, but do not want a dead 12v battery. However, this one sold and pictured with a cigarette lighter (does that work) or I need to get the clamp kit to connect to the terminals in the frunk. I am still learning and waiting for the car so appreciate this guidance to get it right.

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My question is what is the place to connect it to: Cigarette lighter or Clamps to terminals in the frunck.
Cigarrette lighter will not work. Clamps for battery terminal will work. Make sure you get a proper Lithium charger though, not the normal CETEK trickle charger

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cigarrette lighter will not work. Clamps for battery terminal will work. Make sure you get a proper Lithium charger though, not the normal CETEK trickle charger
That is helpful. Then what charger then to get if CTEK is not the one. The dealer suggested this kind, would that one work or similar?: Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro Battery Maintainer and Charger

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
My question is what is the place to connect it to: Cigarette lighter or Clamps to terminals in the frunck.
The older cars required that the car be off. Then after 1/2? hour plug into cigarette outlet with the battery charger, then plug the other end into the outlet. Or something like that. Have no idea if that works with the Taycan. Battery posts will work for sure.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
CTEK make their own branded chargers as well as the chsrge-o-mst for Porsche.

I have the Porsche version which I got for my Boxster 11 years ago. It supports Lithium batteries.

Never used on my Taycan.

I can't believe this bandaid is a necessity given not all Taycan owners can't easily connect a charger if they have no driveway and are reliant on street parking. How do the good people of Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Kensington and so on cope when they go on vacation and do they all experience battery drain upon their return- I think not.

My view is that cars which have had the issue have a latent fault (software related) which contributes to the problem. The HV battery should at a minimum be expected to preserve the LV battery charge in most scenarios.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
CTEK make their own branded chargers as well as the chsrge-o-mst for Porsche.

I have the Porsche version which I got for my Boxster 11 years ago. It supports Lithium batteries.

Never used on my Taycan.

I can't believe this bandaid is a necessity given not all Taycan owners can't easily connect a charger if they have no driveway and are reliant on street parking. How do the good people of Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Kensington and so on cope when they go on vacation and do they all experience battery drain upon their return- I think not.

My view is that cars which have had the issue have a latent fault (software related) which contributes to the problem. The HV battery should at a minimum be expected to preserve the LV battery charge in most scenarios.

I have been corresponding with my OPC about this. I believe it comes down to the number of times the 12v is recharged by the main battery (a maximum of 8 times) - ie it's all in the software. I asked them why limit it at 8? Why not 100? It doesn't even recharge it to 100%, so it's not surprising we are seeing so many 'failures'.

They have told me they cannot advise on this as we do not get involved in the design or development of software updates. What we will do it post your information into our feedback portal to PAG – it will not get a direct answer but it may well assist the development of this as we move forward. Fair enough.

If I hear anything further, I'll post it here
Sponsored