Early days speculation about next-gen Taycan

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
While it is obviously very early days and it is difficult to predict or even speculate with some level of certainty about how much the world of EVs will have evolved between today and 2026/2027, please share your ideas about what type of tech and range we might see in the next generation of Taycan!
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I expect that future investments in Taycan (as a platform) will be minimal. A slight increase in range and some minor improvements based customer feedback being the most likely to get the most out of the initial multi-billion dollar investment. Porsche is more likely to continue to invest to develop the rest of the product line towards electrification. Doing so will make the Taycan platform less compelling as an offering. I really like my Taycan but I would be surprised if it didnt get absorbed into the rest of the Porsche product line after its 2nd gen.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the Taycan platform is not long for this world as a gen2 update

the Taycan 'brand' will migrate to the MEB? platform as Porsche adapts that for the next generation "taycan' - I'd be surprised if "Taycan" goes away - and equally surprised if they iterate on the Taycan architecture - it has a lot drawbacks…

Taycan will live on - it's architecture probably will not.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

the Taycan 'brand' will migrate to the MEB? platform as Porsche adapts that for the next generation "taycan' - I'd be surprised if "Taycan" goes away - and equally surprised if they iterate on the Taycan architecture - it has a lot drawbacks…

would be cool if they offered a two seater convertible, current or next gen!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...like-a-very-expensive-hair-blower-181692.html

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
I'm holding out for gen 2. Must haves are physical buttons, much better software experience with actual OTA and Tesla/Mercedes level charger navigation, better backup camera (VW cameras are terrible at night), and of course more range.

I would also like to see better packaging. The Taycan is a large vehicle with a rather tight interior for its size. Along those lines the seat being behind the B pillar makes ingress/egress a little awkward.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I’d love to see a 2-door. There are some 2-door renderings (purely speculation) floating around that are pretty sweet looking. A convertible would be cool but not necessary for me as I hope to have a 911 in the future. But a convertible might be a good strategy to continue the 911 with an ICE. Range? Get EPA to 300+ and I’d be good with that… more is better but 300+ is sufficient.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Gen 2 will have a significant range increase, beyond that I think the goals will be iterative and maintaining the superlatives we all love about our cars. J1 platform may live on if they are able to migrate the MEB battery technology and any relevant improvements. The question will be if Porsche wants (and can justify) to make Taycan stand out vs the rest of the lineup, or if they're ok with it being another MEB car. Nobody has driven MEB, it may be a significant improvement. As we know, the J1 is basically a modified Panamera. Nothing bad about that but it may not be sustainable long term.

I think the first few years of the EV Macan will be instructive. Too early to speculate beyond generalizations, as the mid cycle refresh isn't even out yet.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bumping up this thread. While the refresh/Gen "1.5" delivers on some important improvements the real excitement is obviously about the next generation of Taycan.

Curious to hear views on the target release date, I'd say announcement in Q4 2026 with deliveries starting late Q1 2027:)
Sponsored