Electrify America charging issues

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’ve had my ‘22 Turbo S for 5 weeks and haven’t been able to successfully charge (on my own) once. In the Porsche app I get a “server unreachable” message anytime I try to initiate a charge on a specific charger. On the EA side I can initiate one manually if I want to pay (which is dumb). I’ve had to call EA every time to remotely initiate a free charge for me.
I know this is a known issue, but it seems ridiculous it’s taking this long to fix. Having to stand outside and call EA every time before plugging in my car, give them my VIN, etc is a pain in the ass. Is anyone able to successfully initiate a free charge on their own? Or is this an issue affecting everyone?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Plug and Charge works perfectly on my 22 4S. However, I haven’t done the software update.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’ve had my ‘22 Turbo S for 5 weeks and haven’t been able to successfully charge (on my own) once. In the Porsche app I get a “server unreachable” message anytime I try to initiate a charge on a specific charger. On the EA side I can initiate one manually if I want to pay (which is dumb). I’ve had to call EA every time to remotely initiate a free charge for me.
I know this is a known issue, but it seems ridiculous it’s taking this long to fix. Having to stand outside and call EA every time before plugging in my car, give them my VIN, etc is a pain in the ass. Is anyone able to successfully initiate a free charge on their own? Or is this an issue affecting everyone?
Was your account with Porsche set up properly?

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was your account with Porsche set up properly?
Yes it’s activated and set up properly. Porsche and EA claim it’s a known issue affecting a lot of people and they’re working on a fix. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this too. I’d always get an error on the EA screen when trying to use plug & charge so I tried turning that off and activating the charge manually via the Porsche app and selecting “start charging” in the app, but that’s when I get the “server unreachable” error.

Michael616

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, same issue. Plug and charge doesn’t work (“payment declined”), My Porsche app says “the server cannot be reached.” Called Porsche and they, like they said to you, said ‘many owners are having this issue and we are working on it with EA.’

If anyone has a solution, all ears. . .

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
FWIW, after major software update and EV's recent cloud "maintenance" a few weeks ago, I have tried ~6 EA locations in my area and all provided P&C successfully on 1st attempt. This was not the case before the update & EA Maintenance.

One observation though is that all seem to be running at a lower charge rate than last Fall. For example using a 150 kWh charger, I would get ~40 kWh with a battery temp of 50F (40% battery level) and ~90 kWh with a battery temp at 80F (battery level ~70%). Ambient temps were ~50F

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW, after major software update and EV's recent cloud "maintenance" a few weeks ago, I have tried ~6 EA locations in my area and all provided P&C successfully on 1st attempt. This was not the case before the update & EA Maintenance.

One observation though is that all seem to be running at a lower charge rate than last Fall. For example using a 150 kWh charger, I would get ~40 kWh with a battery temp of 50F (40% battery level) and ~90 kWh with a battery temp at 80F (battery level ~70%). Ambient temps were ~50F
Aside from P&C, were you able to manually initiate a charge at an EA station through the Porsche app before? I haven’t even been able to do that. My car is a month old and had the latest software update before I picked it up mid December.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
Aside from P&C, were you able to manually initiate a charge at an EA station through the Porsche app before? I haven’t even been able to do that. My car is a month old and had the latest software update before I picked it up mid December.
Since the update & EA Maintenance, I didn't need to use the My Porsche app as the P&C worked. I did use the app to initiate the charge prior to the update when I was only able to get P&C ~50% of the time. Only needed to Call EA once to get the charger initiated.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
This still hasnt been fixed since mid October, please call porsche and create a case with them. Have them escalate it as well, its not acceptable that they cant fix a damn app. atleast send you customers a prepaid credit card or something while it gets fixed.

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This still hasnt been fixed since mid October, please call porsche and create a case with them. Have them escalate it as well, its not acceptable that they cant fix a damn app. atleast send you customers a prepaid credit card or something while it gets fixed.
Yeah I’ve called a couple times. No one has any update except “it’s being worked on now”.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
Yeah I’ve called a couple times. No one has any update except “it’s being worked on now”.
at this point I think im going to initiate a lemon law against Porsche USA. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. having to spend 10minutes on the phone with EA for them to turn on the machine is nuts.

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
at this point I think im going to initiate a lemon law against Porsche USA. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. having to spend 10minutes on the phone with EA for them to turn on the machine is nuts.
Agreed! Not what I expected after paying $200k+ on the car

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche has a really convoluted way of activating free charging. You actually have to "purchase" it in your account. This is separate from your myporsche account. Seems weird but in scanning the feedback didn't see it as a potential for the issue.

FWIW I had similar issues on the anniversary of my car's original purchase - took 3 different Porsche 'experts' to finally get to that as the issue. Once I checked out with the right items selected it took a couple of minutes and then everything worked...very frustrating.

Last thing....If your car can charge via paid EA session, it's a 99.9% chance that the issue is the on the Porsche side.

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche has a really convoluted way of activating free charging. You actually have to "purchase" it in your account. This is separate from your myporsche account. Seems weird but in scanning the feedback didn't see it as a potential for the issue.

FWIW I had similar issues on the anniversary of my car's original purchase - took 3 different Porsche 'experts' to finally get to that as the issue. Once I checked out with the right items selected it took a couple of minutes and then everything worked...very frustrating.

Last thing....If your car can charge via paid EA session, it's a 99.9% chance that the issue is the on the Porsche side.
yeah I'm pretty sure I did this. Just to confirm, where exactly did you "purchase" it? When I go into MyPorsche app and click on "Account > Charging Service", it shows that I have an active subscription from 12/14/22 - 12/4/23. Do I need to activate/purchase it somewhere else too?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had that in my app, but when I logged into into it via the Porsche website, it wasn't showing as a completed purchase in the connected store.

Wasn't easy to find TBH - the Porsche support person coached me through it and it fixed the issue for me. Its at least worth a call to Porsche that they see it active and 'paid' from their view too.
Sponsored