Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
This is probably a stupid question but after looking I have not been able to find what the purpose of the emergency key is. It’s clear how to remove it from the key fob but what emergency will it solve?? Thanks
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Anything which causes the doors to fail to unlock electronically. Flat battery in either the car or the key fob. Other electronic failure of the door locking unit.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
When the 12v fails, you have no way in without the key. You have to manually lift the door handle and insert the metal key to open the door.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is probably a stupid question but after looking I have not been able to find what the purpose of the emergency key is. It’s clear how to remove it from the key fob but what emergency will it solve?? Thanks
Suggest reading the relevant section in the owner's manual to get better aquatinted with this.

As others have mentioned - 12v failure, key fob failure, and so on.

Taycan is not special in this regard with most brands providing an emergency key.

OP
OP

Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
Suggest reading the relevant section in the owner's manual to get better aquatinted with this.

As others have mentioned - 12v failure, key fob failure, and so on.

Taycan is not special in this regard with most brands providing an emergency key.
Thanks. That is what I assumed but when I consulted the manual under “ using the emergency key” all I read was how to remove it and replace it in the vehicle key.. Am I correct in assuming the emergency key has no other role- I.e. starting the car etc?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. That is what I assumed but when I consulted the manual under “ using the emergency key” all I read was how to remove it and replace it in the vehicle key.. Am I correct in assuming the emergency key has no other role- I.e. starting the car etc?
That's right,.just to unlock / lock the car.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Not a dumb question if you've never seen one before, but like others have mentioned, any modern vehicle built with a "keyless" ignition has an emergency key to unlock the door in case the keyfob fails. Got to get into your car somehow right?
Sponsored