EVSE - Need wifi or not?

Aiwendil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CT4
Country flag
In anticipation of a Dec delivery (please don't push :) ) I am starting to get things in order for charging. I've reviewed the forums and just want to be sure I am doing the right thing.
By happy accident, my home's previous owner had a hobby that appeared to have needed a NEMA 6-50R receptacle (welding?) And there's already a sub panel in the garage and I confirmed the receptacle and that it is hooked to a 50a circuit. With the order, I'm not getting the PMCC, just the PMC+ that comes standard.
I want to be "right" from a safety perspective as well as be able to monitor charging from my phone, set things at 85% max charge, timer functionality, etc.
Do I then need a JuiceBox or other wifi enabled evse or can I manage this all with what I have? Ive seen a lot of recommendation s for the Clipper Creek, which looks rock solid but without the wifi and so on. Do I need that from the evse or can I manage it all with what comes with the car itself?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I think you can do all the things that you want from the car itself, i.e. you can use a “dumb” charger like ClipperCreek. Two things you might want to investigate first. (1) Does your utility company offer any incentives that require a smart charger to share data with them? My utility will pay $1500 towards EVSE installation and offer reduced off-peak rates if using a JuiceBox or ChargePoint unit.

(2) Do you (or will you) have multiple EV’s? If so, you will likely want to load share off that single 50A circuit. ClipperCreek makes a couple of dumb EVSEs that can do this - they sell a dual charging station (one station, two plugs) and they also sell “Share2” enabled chargers that will load share two EVSEs with hardwiring between them. On the website, the sell the Share2 chargers in bundles of 2 but if you call them, they’ll sell you a single unit. And then you’ll be able to add in a second one in the future. If you don’t buy the Share2 model, you won’t be able to. JuiceBox units also offer load sharing but achieve this via WiFi between two units. ChargePoint residential units don’t load share.

In my case, I wanted the reliability of ClipperCreek but also wanted the incentives of my utility AND the ability to load share as I have two EVs currently on order. Then I came upon this gem - https://evcharging.enelx.com/utilities-store/clippercreek-hcs-40-utility. A Frankenstein ClipperCreek/JuiceBox unit! It’s only a 32A unit (7.7 kWh) but that’s all my Mini SE will accept. Then I’ll get a JuiceBox 40 for my Taycan. And if the JuiceBox ever fails, at least I’ll have a rock solid ClipperCreek available to use.

OP
OP

Aiwendil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CT4
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. That’s some good stuff to consider. This makes sense. It doesn’t appear that our utility offers incentive on this front. I think it may be coming though so I may go JB 40.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. That’s some good stuff to consider. This makes sense. It doesn’t appear that our utility offers incentive on this front. I think it may be coming though so I may go JB 40.
Any reason you don’t want to just use the PMC+ that comes with the car?

You can monitor charging as well as adjust profiles and timers for charging for the car through the connect app. You don’t need a special EVSE for that.

The PMC+ is good for 9.6kW.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a Juicebox 40 for the past 2 years and it's been rock solid in Wifi connection. Way better and faster than relying on Porsche Connect.

The only downside is that it doesn't talk to the car, so you won't know the SOC. But at least you'll know if it's still charging and how fast.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have a Juicebox 40 for the past 2 years and it's been rock solid in Wifi connection. Way better and faster than relying on Porsche Connect.

The only downside is that it doesn't talk to the car, so you won't know the SOC. But at least you'll know if it's still charging and how fast.
What issues have you had with connect? I use it all the time (i.e. multiple times daily) for checking charge. Just occasionally for timer/profiles, but no issues any time I’ve used it.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What issues have you had with connect? I use it all the time (i.e. multiple times daily) for checking charge. Just occasionally for timer/profiles, but no issues any time I’ve used it.
Random non-connect. Takes time to reconnect and update. Usually not much of a problem, just not nearly as instant and consistent as Juicebox.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Any reason you don’t want to just use the PMC+ that comes with the car?

You can monitor charging as well as adjust profiles and timers for charging for the car through the connect app. You don’t need a special EVSE for that.

The PMC+ is good for 9.6kW.
+1

I use the PMC+ that came with the car and it works like a champ.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
In anticipation of a Dec delivery (please don't push :) ) I am starting to get things in order for charging. I've reviewed the forums and just want to be sure I am doing the right thing.
By happy accident, my home's previous owner had a hobby that appeared to have needed a NEMA 6-50R receptacle (welding?) And there's already a sub panel in the garage and I confirmed the receptacle and that it is hooked to a 50a circuit. With the order, I'm not getting the PMCC, just the PMC+ that comes standard.
I want to be "right" from a safety perspective as well as be able to monitor charging from my phone, set things at 85% max charge, timer functionality, etc.
Do I then need a JuiceBox or other wifi enabled evse or can I manage this all with what I have? Ive seen a lot of recommendation s for the Clipper Creek, which looks rock solid but without the wifi and so on. Do I need that from the evse or can I manage it all with what comes with the car itself?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Control can be via the PCM in the car, Porsche Connect App or My Porsche. To connect to the PMC+ is a faff - requires a Power Line Connection (PLC) to use the onboard ethernet interface as there is no WiFi but possible nonetheless.

In 99% of use cases there is no need to regularly connect to the device once installed.

As the car is 'cloud connected' you can access charging details and configurations (timers, profiles etc) via the other methods mentioned above.

Fit for purpose I'd say.
Sponsored