Felicity Ace has reportedly sunk

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
It will certainly take a while, but I am curious as to when a formal inquiry into the sinking will start. It would be interesting to understand from the crew where the fire started. Hell, it could have started in the kitchen or engine room for all we know.

I would also like to understand the percentage of EV's that were on the ship.

The loss of the vehicles and the ship are a shame, but the crew got out alive, so that should help with the inquiry process.
Sponsored

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It will certainly take a while, but I am curious as to when a formal inquiry into the sinking will start. It would be interesting to understand from the crew where the fire started. Hell, it could have started in the kitchen or engine room for all we know.

I would also like to understand the percentage of EV's that were on the ship.

The loss of the vehicles and the ship are a shame, but the crew got out alive, so that should help with the inquiry process.
It could go either way IMO. If there isn't much telemetry data to review (video, sensors, etc), every crew member has likely already told their story about what happened, and I doubt that they'll have much more they could share that would be useful at this point. They might be able to make a best guess, but even then, it seems impossible that they would be able to state a definitive root cause.

I'm sure a ton of people will make guesses, with most of them being "Must have been the EVs", but I get bored with that sort of conjecture.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The cause of the blaze was not determined, but some have suspected it was started in the battery of one of the electric cars onboard.
There were a bunch of Tesla trolls on reddit making this claim in several different forums. Really disgusting since they claim to be about promoting EVs and whine about people spreading FUD about Tesla. I guess they are fine spreading rumors about the dangers of EVs - as long as it isn't about Tesla.

Sorry for everyone whose car was on the ship! But as someone mentioned, it is better not to have any lingering doubts about getting one of these cars after this incident.

Jonmar

First Name
Maryann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayman, 2022 Taycan on order!
Country flag
My car was on there. I’m sure it was completely incinerated but even if it wasn’t I would not have wanted it. So much potential for damage from smoke, heat, and seawater. I’m glad my “almost first Porsche” is buried at sea. Hopefully this does not become an environmental disaster.
So sorry. Hope they get you a new one soon.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
So sorry. Hope they get you a new one soon.
Appreciate that. There’s much more important stuff going on in the world today though. It’s a crazy thing that happened but it’s just a car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Nobody would have wanted a car from the ship, having seen how it looked near the end.

felicity-ace-1b-1.jpg
I thihn it would depend on the price. I bet you could easily sell the lot of all the cars on that ship for a cool million dollars in a jiffy. Even fire damaged cars have value.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I thihn it would depend on the price. I bet you could easily sell the lot of all the cars on that ship for a cool million dollars in a jiffy. Even fire damaged cars have value.
Yes true.

I had meant the new car buyers who had their cars on the ship.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Jeeez!! what an environmental disaster that is ?
in the whole scheme of things it really isn't much. the cars didn't have much fuel in them, 4k x about 6 quarts of motor oil is 24k is about 6k gallons of oil, other various lubricants in the cars is minimal and should dissipate easily. the biggest concern would be the bunker fuel that the ship was carrying but even if the ship had a full load of bunker it would still be classified as a minor spill.
hundreds if not thousands of similar cargo ships like this have gone to the bottom in the last 100+ years.

the sky really isn't falling.

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
in the whole scheme of things it really isn't much. the cars didn't have much fuel in them, 4k x about 6 quarts of motor oil is 24k is about 6k gallons of oil, other various lubricants in the cars is minimal and should dissipate easily. the biggest concern would be the bunker fuel that the ship was carrying but even if the ship had a full load of bunker it would still be classified as a minor spill.
hundreds if not thousands of similar cargo ships like this have gone to the bottom in the last 100+ years.

the sky really isn't falling.
Sure ?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I am sure the value of the burnt cars would have been in recycling valuable materials. The rest was useless IMHO.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Not sure if already here somewhere, I came across this overview on the Dutch Top Gear website.

Audi A5 Cabrio84
Audi A5 Coupé43
Audi A5 Sportback147
Audi e-tron121
Audi e-tron GT1
Audi Q21
Audi Q3297
Audi Q3 Sportback144
Audi TT7
Audi TT Roadster1
Bentley Bentayga77
Bentley Continental GT38