PattiT

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m new here. I bought a 22 Turbo last August. Unfortunately it was hit 8 days later. It literally took 7 months to get all the parts to fix the car. I have a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Nevertheless I’m headed to the parade on Monday which is about 241 miles from my home in Las Vegas. My app says I need a charging stop in Barstow for around 20 mins. I’ve signed up with Electrified America ? Everything seems pretty straightforward but I am still experiencing range anxiety at home. I have been reading posts about tire pressure and car set up. Temperatures across the desert are expected to be over 100 (air conditioner a must)with possible heavy winds. Is there any suggestions or anything I need to be aware (wary) of?

Porsche Taycan First long trip IMG_9543
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A couple of suggestions:
  • If you have not done so, practice charging at an EA site near your home. Try both plug & charge, and using the MyPorsche app to initiate charging.
  • Add all the EA charging sites along your route as favorites in nav unit so you can select them easily if you need to. Don't just depend on a single EA site along your route.
  • To activate battery pre-conditioning, you need to ensure that an EA site is entered as a charging destination in the nav unit, showing kw, etc, not just as a street or site address.
  • Even though your route may only require a single charging stop, you may find it better to make several shorter charging stops, just in case a problem occurs at one site.
  • Allow more time for your trip than the Taycan nav unit shows. 20 minutes shown for charging stop does not include extra time required to locate a dispenser, hook up/disconnect, initiate charging, slow charging rate, etc.
  • If there is a problem at one charging dispenser, try another one.
  • Recent comments about EA sites on plugshare app can be helpful. Pay attention to the recent comments, not the plugshare site rating.
Good luck & enjoy your trip!

Forum thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-road-trip-in-a-taycan-tips-suggestions.4072/

Taycan charging at EA video:

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
+1 re def plan to have more than one charging stop available - I know it may seem a hassle but two short stops will make it far more relaxing a trip whilst guaranteeing a back-up - the time spent you won't even notice :)

Is that blue a PTS variant or just std and, as in shade, looks different to me? Have to say possibly the first pic where I'd say the factory white calipers look really good against that color.

Congrats on getting her back - now just enjoy the ride - this trip will wash those 7 month blues away :)

OP
OP
PattiT

PattiT

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
+1 re def plan to have more than one charging stop available - I know it may seem a hassle but two short stops will make it far more relaxing a trip whilst guaranteeing a back-up - the time spent you won't even notice :)

Is that blue a PTS variant or just std and, as in shade, looks different to me? Have to say possibly the first pic where I'd say the factory white calipers look really good against that color.

Congrats on getting her back - now just enjoy the ride - this trip will wash those 7 month blues away :)

Thank you for the advice. it the standard frozen blue I believe but I didn’t like the matching blue rims so I made them all black. That could be the difference and it does make the white look much better. im Excited to try this trip and missing my 911 platform just a little bit. Hopefully whenI return home I’ll be in love again!

OP
OP
PattiT

PattiT

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Thank you! I’ll go practice tonight!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Thank you for the advice. it the standard frozen blue I believe but I didn’t like the matching blue rims so I made them all black. That could be the difference and it does make the white look much better. im Excited to try this trip and missing my 911 platform just a little bit. Hopefully whenI return home I’ll be in love again!
Agree 100% re black wheels :)

Def not a 911, nor is it meant to be, but an absolute blast in it's very own and unique way :)

Whilst you'll notice the weight in certain maneuvers, for most 'spirited' daily driving you're going to be real close to the 911 'planted' and responsive feel.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Sorry about your terrible misfortune and glad you can now enjoy the car. I've said it many times before, but I never tire of seeing the combo- maximising black details and minimising silver ones does something magical to FB in my eyes, intensifying the saturation.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
If you’ve never charged with EA, take some time to dig into the manual and PCM to ensure Plug & Charge is active for your car. Our dealer didn’t set this up at delivery, and a frustrating first DCFC experience and a lot of wasted time was the outcome.

I ultimately called the main Taycan guru at the dealership, while still at the EA dispenser, and he walked me through the process of finding the check box in the PCM to activate Plug and Charge.

That was a loss of 20 critical minutes, that ensured I’d get stuck in rush hour DC traffic for even longer.

As you’ve noted, wind will impact your range. Elevation change will as well, and is sometimes less noticeable than wind. I think you’ll lose elevation during your drive, and if so, that will help your range.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m new here. I bought a 22 Turbo last August. Unfortunately it was hit 8 days later. It literally took 7 months to get all the parts to fix the car. I have a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Nevertheless I’m headed to the parade on Monday which is about 241 miles from my home in Las Vegas. My app says I need a charging stop in Barstow for around 20 mins. I’ve signed up with Electrified America ? Everything seems pretty straightforward but I am still experiencing range anxiety at home. I have been reading posts about tire pressure and car set up. Temperatures across the desert are expected to be over 100 (air conditioner a must)with possible heavy winds. Is there any suggestions or anything I need to be aware (wary) of?

IMG_9543.jpeg
How did your trip go?

OP
OP
PattiT

PattiT

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you’ve never charged with EA, take some time to dig into the manual and PCM to ensure Plug & Charge is active for your car. Our dealer didn’t set this up at delivery, and a frustrating first DCFC experience and a lot of wasted time was the outcome.

I ultimately called the main Taycan guru at the dealership, while still at the EA dispenser, and he walked me through the process of finding the check box in the PCM to activate Plug and Charge.

That was a loss of 20 critical minutes, that ensured I’d get stuck in rush hour DC traffic for even longer.

As you’ve noted, wind will impact your range. Elevation change will as well, and is sometimes less noticeable than wind. I think you’ll lose elevation during your drive, and if so, that will help your range.
How did your trip go?
Very good! The car was perfect and the charging stop was very easy. I’m here now and I’m trying not to make eye contact with several beautiful cars!😂 I’ve only been here 24 hours but so far it’s been fun

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very good! The car was perfect and the charging stop was very easy. I’m here now and I’m trying not to make eye contact with several beautiful cars!😂 I’ve only been here 24 hours but so far it’s been fun
Excellent! I'm happy to hear all went smoothly for you. Keep exploring.

OP
OP
PattiT

PattiT

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for the help

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
A couple of suggestions:
  • If you have not done so, practice charging at an EA site near your home. Try both plug & charge, and using the MyPorsche app to initiate charging.
  • Add all the EA charging sites along your route as favorites in nav unit so you can select them easily if you need to. Don't just depend on a single EA site along your route.
  • To activate battery pre-conditioning, you need to ensure that an EA site is entered as a charging destination in the nav unit, showing kw, etc, not just as a street or site address.
  • Even though your route may only require a single charging stop, you may find it better to make several shorter charging stops, just in case a problem occurs at one site.
  • Allow more time for your trip than the Taycan nav unit shows. 20 minutes shown for charging stop does not include extra time required to locate a dispenser, hook up/disconnect, initiate charging, slow charging rate, etc.
  • If there is a problem at one charging dispenser, try another one.
  • Recent comments about EA sites on plugshare app can be helpful. Pay attention to the recent comments, not the plugshare site rating.
Good luck & enjoy your trip!

Forum thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-road-trip-in-a-taycan-tips-suggestions.4072/

Taycan charging at EA video:
I have found *that I often don’t get the “click” you hear as this guy plugs in the nozzle. It apparently help to *pull up* on the nozzle right after to plug it in (with no click) to initiate charging.* If anybody has more to add on this, I’d like to hear it.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have found *that I often don’t get the “click” you hear as this guy plugs in the nozzle. It apparently help to *pull up* on the nozzle right after to plug it in (with no click) to initiate charging.* If anybody has more to add on this, I’d like to hear it.
Yes. Based on some comments in here and maybe on YouTube, after first plugging in I hold on to the nozzle to keep it in position until EA dispenser has fully initiated charging. Heavy cable has a tendency to drop down and pull forward. Some believe this weakens the control signals when first connecting.
Sponsored