First road trip completed successfully!

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Ok, so i have no fancy data or charts to give, but we completed our first road trip of about 650 miles each way from Alabama to Orlando Florida (Disney really) and we are extremely happy with the vehicle and the journey with it. On the way down to Florida, temps were pretty warm, 70F-83F, so the battery was happy and generous with the range, as the guestimater said 285 miles on 100% charge and it was actually about spot on. The trip Was a combo of backroads for the first 3 hours and highways for the remainder. We didnt baby it for range sake, so once we were on the highways, i did my usual 80 -90 mph when traffic allowed and the range was still plenty. The trip back, we did notice that temps and wind do make a fair difference in range, as it was about 50F - 60F most of the way back and we were in a head wind most of the time, so range did drop, but not to any level that concerned us. Plenty of EA chargers along I-75, and others as well.

As for the charging experience, on the way down, one of the EA stations locked up during the connect to vehicle phase and would not release the plug. Had to call EA service and after 15 or so minutes of trying a few options, they rebooted the terminal, which released the plug. Other than that, occasionally had to switch to another charger station when we got an error, but that was not the norm. Most sessions started and completed just fine. We had 4 stops each way. We would plug in, wait for the connect screen to finish, use the Charging NA app to start the session, and it usually just worked.

I did however, wanted to try out or new Tesla tap mini at one of their destination chargers, but we could not get it to work at all. A Tesla owner curious came over to check it out and try to help, but no go. I’m going to try the local Tesla destination charger sometime to see if I can get it to work, or figure out if maybe my tap is defective.

I hope our future trips remain as smooth as this one and your too. I see the horror stories of EA charging, so we tried to be as prepared as possible with alternatives and patience.
Porsche Taycan First road trip completed successfully! 1E4513EE-26A8-4BC1-8F63-0B981D0E8197
Porsche Taycan First road trip completed successfully! 8C100599-ED9D-490D-9FEF-808223E76898

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Did you try the Teslatap on both sides? I have the 19.2kw option and Teslatap won't latch on that side, but latches on the other side well with no issues....

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Did you try the Teslatap on both sides? I have the 19.2kw option and Teslatap won't latch on that side, but latches on the other side well with no issues....
Did not think about that...will give it a go. Thanks!

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Very cool, thanks for sharing this! I’ve still yet to do much road tripping to my great disappointment. I have had to do some 200 mile round trips and can attest to the impact temperature has on the battery. At -5F (-20C) I babied the drive, putting it in range mode to ensure I didn’t push it. I got home with 26 miles of range remaining. While 226 isn’t a great figure for a full charge, achieving that mileage in really cold conditions gives me confidence throughout our frigid winters and strengthens my resolve for a road trip...now if I can just get out there!!!
Sponsored