First time charging......

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 - blt Jun 3, dealer 22 Jun, del me 29..
Country flag
Porsche Taycan First time charging...... Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 12.38.10

Set to charge to 85%.......
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Probably quite a good compromise % between range and battery longevity. Although instinctively I'd now probably go to 75 to 80% SoC if you didn't need the range. It's mainly higher temps and lots of DC charging that erode available capacity over time...but it is sort of inevitable anyway.

OP
OP
abrookesuk

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - so many conflicting views. the dealer said 83% - yeah right try setting that on the profile....

A few friends have said to keep it topped up at 80%.....

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - so many conflicting views. the dealer said 83% - yeah right try setting that on the profile....

A few friends have said to keep it topped up at 80%.....
To be honest I’ve had 90% SoC set as my default on the Tesla since new. It’s now at almost 70K miles coming up 5 years and hundreds of recharges. When look at degradation over time. It’s lost around 8% or so…

OP
OP
abrookesuk

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - should have remembered that. So far 80% and it’s reporting 181 miles……

OP
OP
abrookesuk

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ignore that. Its just the guess-o-meter.

It also increases when you use the car more.
For actual usage look on the PCM / app.
Yep I guess

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
To be honest I’ve had 90% SoC set as my default on the Tesla since new. It’s now at almost 70K miles coming up 5 years and hundreds of recharges. When look at degradation over time. It’s lost around 8% or so…
But isn't the low Tesla battery deterioration because they keep at least 10% of the battery unused and gradually release it into use over time - specifically so that the battery appears to degenerate more slowly? Once that has all been put into use by 7 years (or whatever the warranty period) then it will deteriorate much more quickly. At least that is what I understood with Tesla. Still interesting to hear though.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But isn't the low Tesla battery deterioration because they keep at least 10% of the battery unused and gradually release it into use over time - specifically so that the battery appears to degenerate more slowly? Once that has all been put into use by 7 years (or whatever the warranty period) then it will deteriorate much more quickly. At least that is what I understood with Tesla. Still interesting to hear though.
Beats me how Tesla manage the BMS/pack. That's just my experience of using the car these past five years. I've decided to keep the X when the Taycan arrives, but in any event I'm not expecting a cliff-edge battery deterioration at 7 years. There's plenty of other stuff that can go wrong with the car...:cool::)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No Tesla do not use much of battery as spare. Porsche uses about 10% but not Tesla model 3 and Y. Some reserve at the bottom end perhaps, 1-2 kWh.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
No Tesla do not use much of battery as spare. Porsche uses about 10% but not Tesla model 3 and Y. Some reserve at the bottom end perhaps, 1-2 kWh.
Is it not a worry with Tesla's that the 'phantom drain' (especially with Sentry Mode) uses so much battery when left and yet the car has so little in reserve?

I assume Tesla owners just leave them plugged in when away for any length of time?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Is it not a worry with Tesla's that the 'phantom drain' (especially with Sentry Mode) uses so much battery when left and yet the car has so little in reserve?

I assume Tesla owners just leave them plugged in when away for any length of time?
Not really.

sentry mode when left on will draw quite a lot of power, but it is switched off when the SoC gets too low.

I have recently left my Tesla unplugged for two weeks and only lost about 2 or 3 percent. It is more than Taycan but not horrible.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Not at all. I left mine unplugged on the street for over three weeks and it had only marginally dropped. The major factor in drain is the car waking up periodically - which is exacerbated by checking in using the app. It’s best to just leave it alone and then the various systems beautifully hibernate.
Sponsored