Fitcamx dashcam installation

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
But won’t parking mode drain the 12 volt?
Commented on this elsewhere but I had my camera on for 5+ weeks in the custom shop with near daily recording as they worked on the car and zero impact on the 12V battery - zero!

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Commented on this elsewhere but I had my camera on for 5+ weeks in the custom shop with near daily recording as they worked on the car and zero impact on the 12V battery - zero!
So I guess I should turn it on. How do I do this?
Also, does it record non stop when parked?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I guess I should turn it on. How do I do this?
Also, does it record non stop when parked?
All in the FitCamX App's settings which you access once you link the camera when in the car to the app on your phone - you can adjust sensitivities etc - camera does not 'run'/record continuously rather only when activated and will record for a set period after an event (again I think I recall you can set custom recording length in settings etc.).

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All in the FitCamX App's settings which you access once you link the camera when in the car to the app on your phone - you can adjust sensitivities etc - camera does not 'run'/record continuously rather only when activated and will record for a set period after an event (again I think I recall you can set custom recording length in settings etc.).
So how can the camera detect an event? It has motion sensors?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So how can the camera detect an event? It has motion sensors?
I'm honestly not sure which setup the FitCamX uses in respect what it does for Parking Mode when only powered by the rain sensor - could be simply "wake-up on hit" and thus starts recoding immediately after a collision detection (via G-Sensor which is essentially an accelerometer) which of course is by no means optimal as there is potential to miss the actor who caused the collision. It may alternately use buffering (cache stored low E recording vs higher E continuous writing to the SD card) which would be far more reliable in respect catching the bad actor or a third possibility, record still images regularly (every few secs) when in a low E parked state (but don't recall that option in the cam's overview). Would need to ping the developer but suspect the first option most probable and again why little to no power being used with this mode option active.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm honestly not sure which setup the FitCamX uses in respect what it does for Parking Mode when only powered by the rain sensor - could be simply "wake-up on hit" and thus starts recoding immediately after a collision detection (via G-Sensor which is essentially an accelerometer) which of course is by no means optimal as there is potential to miss the actor who caused the collision. It may alternately use buffering (cache stored low E recording vs higher E continuous writing to the SD card) which would be far more reliable in respect catching the bad actor or a third possibility, record still images regularly (every few secs) when in a low E parked state (but don't recall that option in the cam's overview). Would need to ping the developer but suspect the first option most probable and again why little to no power being used with this mode option active.
@Rainforest

Confirmed with FitCamX that the Parking Mode enabled by the rain sensor powered units is indeed the first option I guessed at above I.e. wake up on impact.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Rainforest

Confirmed with FitCamX that the Parking Mode enabled by the rain sensor powered units is indeed the first option I guessed at above I.e. wake up on impact.
But if it wakes up on impact, why did your car record when it was in the shop for five weeks? I’m sure nothing hit your car.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
But won’t parking mode drain the 12 volt?
I think because it only wakes up when impact is detected it probably is not recording very often? My mini0906 cameras wake up when movement is detected so when parked at the station they are recording every time someone walks by and my X5 can only manage a couple of days before I get a battery warning or the voltage detection on the dashcam supply starts switch the power to the camera off

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
For those of you who installed the rear camera, could you describe how you chose to run the wire? Pics if possible? Thanks!

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
For those of you who installed the rear camera, could you describe how you chose to run the wire? Pics if possible? Thanks!
I have not done an install on a Taycan yet but my usual routing for rear cameras is to tuck cable under the front edge of roof lining out to passenger side of windscreen, remove the A pillar cover and route cable to passenger side of roof lining, pull down front and rear door seals and tuck cable under edge of roof lining, you will need to thread cable around the B pillar, tucking under B pillar trim, and then continue tucking under the edge of roof lining until you reach rear C pillar. Remove trim from rear pillar and see if you find a route into the box section giving access to the rubber tubing taking cables into the rear hatch. This can be quite difficult so an alternative is just to route cable around to rear edge of roof lining and tuck it under the roof lining to the centre of the roof. Attach rear camera and connect to cable leaving enough slack to allow for opening of the hatch.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have not done an install on a Taycan yet but my usual routing for rear cameras is to tuck cable under the front edge of roof lining out to passenger side of windscreen, remove the A pillar cover and route cable to passenger side of roof lining, pull down front and rear door seals and tuck cable under edge of roof lining, you will need to thread cable around the B pillar, tucking under B pillar trim, and then continue tucking under the edge of roof lining until you reach rear C pillar. Remove trim from rear pillar and see if you find a route into the box section giving access to the rubber tubing taking cables into the rear hatch. This can be quite difficult so an alternative is just to route cable around to rear edge of roof lining and tuck it under the roof lining to the centre of the roof. Attach rear camera and connect to cable leaving enough slack to allow for opening of the hatch.
Which dashcam are you going to install on yours ?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Which dashcam are you going to install on yours ?
Probably the FitcamX but I still haven't reviewed the video quality yet, failing that Blackvue. I've got 3 cars all with Mini 0906 dashcams which were great when I bought them years ago and very cheap but their new 4K models get poor reviews.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Probably the FitcamX but I still haven't reviewed the video quality yet, failing that Blackvue. I've got 3 cars all with Mini 0906 dashcams which were great when I bought them years ago and very cheap but their new 4K models get poor reviews.
I’ve got the Blackvue 900X but not sure on the battery drain use when parked.

Can get the battery pack though which charges when car is running and then uses the battery pack when parked. Wonder if a unit with it’s own battery is better..

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I’ve got the Blackvue 900X but not sure on the battery drain use when parked.

Can get the battery pack though which charges when car is running and then uses the battery pack when parked. Wonder if a unit with it’s own battery is better..
The 900X has integrated power management circuitry, which can be configured in the BlackVue app, so does the same as the older power magic module. Have you set this up so it stops recording when the voltage drops?
Sponsored