Fitcamx dashcam installation

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Rainforest

Despite previously confirming with FitCam, it does almost seem like possibly light changes i.e. 'movement' is enough to trigger a recording - doesn't make any sense however as the designers are saying it takes a G sensor to trigger. So I do wonder if the car (whether or not it is being accessed by the the MyPorsche App) does not have some regular activity whilst parked that might be enough to cause a very subtle vibration/movement and hence spur a recording - is your sensitivity setting in teh FitCamX on lowest possible? - you can actually tell it to not record when parked too which defeats at least half of the functionality!) - EDIT- sorry just saw that Hirschaj just ref this in last post. - I think subtle vibration/movement will be even more apparent from servo motors in the car if you are charging the car overnight. There def have been times when I've walked past my car (w/o a key) and heard some sort of electric motor adjust something so I suspect this is one possibility in respect initiating a recording whilst parked which might be eliminated if sensitivity is set to lowest setting.

All that said my 12V has had zero issues with all activity related to the FitCamX recording. I simply see no impact whatsoever so I am struggling to see how your 12V issues are related to this camera alone. I suspect there is another reason for this power loss altogether and possibly a defective 12V battery - sorry I can't recall if you had one replaced already? I'll take another look at my recording history later today and see if mine is still recording overnight (in a locked home garage).

Cheers, C.
And screenshot below from Fitcamx. No light or motion sensor. Their explanation makes sense that the Porsche wakes up intermittently for some reason and hence powers the Fitcamx which starts recording. But why does the car wake up intermittently?

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation IMG_3742
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Some possible reasons for a car to wake wake up (some clearly don't apply to you):

1) App pinging the car
2) Car key too close to the car
3) charging session activity(?)
4) vibration or wind buffeting, maybe even tree debris hitting the car from nearby trees if not garaged(!?)
5) wondered if you have a WiFi connected EVSE like I do (ChargePoint HomeFlex) could it possibly be pinging the car and waking it - need to check that BUT on second thoughts surely not as it would only be when charging the car ... don't think the EVSE talks to MyPorsche at all and would not be in same local network as the Car's .. rambling :)!
6) some other SW issue in the car that is triggering 'on' events (no idea what these might be).

Other than the above I can only defer you to those (multiple threads) with 12V battery issues which of course I'm sure you've read.

And again I will check my FitCam recordings which TBH I sill don't understand why they come on with Park mode on if purely G sensor related (poss one of my 6 above but w/o 12V drain).

Last edited:

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some possible reasons for a car to wake wake up (some clearly don't apply to you):

1) App pinging the car
2) Car key too close to the car
3) charging session activity(?)
4) vibration or wind buffeting, maybe even tree debris hitting the car from nearby trees if not garaged(!?)
5) wondered if you have a WiFi connected EVSE like I do (ChargePoint HomeFlex) could it possibly be pinging the car and waking it - need to check that BUT on second thoughts surely not as it would only be when charging the car ... don't think the EVSE talks to MyPorsche at all and would not be in same local network as the Car's .. rambling :)!
6) some other SW issue in the car that is triggering 'on' events (no idea what these might be).

Other than the above I can only defer you to those (multiple threads) with 12V battery issues which of course I'm sure you've read.

And again I will check my FitCam recordings which TBH I sill don't understand why they come on with Park mode on if purely G sensor related (poss one of my 6 above but w/o 12V drain).
Thanks C. Let me go through your possibilities above and share my Fitcamx settings to see if something is wrong. They are checking my firmware version right now.

1) I'm not opening the app in the middle of the night.
2) My car key is in my kitchen which is more than 30 feet away from my detached garage.
3) The car was waking even when not charging.
4) Car is parked in my enclosed garage.
5) Nope, I'm just using the base Porsche charging cable. Not wifi enabled.

Are my Fitcamx settings right? My parking monitor collision detection was set to "close" and the cam was still recording intermittently when the car was unlocked (I believe). I'm monitoring my car over these couple of days to see how often it records now.

I do know the WNA5 campaign does change the way the 12v behaves (I saw notes somewhere here on the forum). Again, maybe some glitch in the software when I changed my charging timer settings in the app? But again, the main mystery I'm trying to figure out is why the cam keeps recording intermittently when parked and unlocked (and possible when locked as well).

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation IMG_3745.PNG

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rainforest

Configuration looks good.

So I finally got to look at the last week+ of recorded videos on my SD card and can say that I am most definitely NOT getting random videos overnight when my car is parked in my closed private garage.

1) There were just two instances where ca. 35 mins after I had left the car shutdown and had closed the garage that a cam recording was initiated - only once and nothing more that same evening -but TBH I can't say if these were simply linked to my pinging the car with the MyPorsche app (suspect so).

Remember I do not even have the Parking mode turned off (closed) in my FitCamX. I also actually rarely lock my car in my locked garage (interesting in itself re what state of sleep mode it is generally in).

2) As I suspected and mentioned in a prior post above, when the car was charging in my closed garage overnight the camera was activated numerous times - exactly what 'events' are causing it to activate another discussion but surely has to be subtle vibrations related to servo motors or the like as it is only sensitive to G sensors - I also had not locked the car.

ASSIDE: As I suspected and mentioned previously the prior (different thread) custom shop activity appears to have been primarily shop staff interacting with the car so not relevant here. One instance may also have simply been them charging my car at the shop.

If we can rule out a faulty FitCamX i your car, then I strongly suspect that there is additional PCM activity going on in your car that wakes the car and initiates a cam recording (or something to that effect). Again assuming a perfectly working cam, I think the FitCamX is a red herring in respect a culprit and the real cause is some issue with the car's electronics which in turn are causing the 12V issue/drain- I do not unfortunately have a clue what that might be.

PS: could the wired connections to your FitCamX not be 100% secure and causing bad signals? - that somehow seems like a stretch.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rainforest

Configuration looks good.

So I finally got to look at the last week+ of recorded videos on my SD card and can say that I am most definitely NOT getting random videos overnight when my car is parked in my closed private garage.

1) There were just two instances where ca. 35 mins after I had left the car shutdown and had closed the garage that a cam recording was initiated - only once and nothing more that same evening -but TBH I can't say if these were simply linked to my pinging the car with the MyPorsche app (suspect so).

Remember I do not even have the Parking mode turned off (closed) in my FitCamX. I also actually rarely lock my car in my locked garage (interesting in itself re what state of sleep mode it is generally in).

2) As I suspected and mentioned in a prior post above, when the car was charging in my closed garage overnight the camera was activated numerous times - exactly what 'events' are causing it to activate another discussion but surely has to be subtle vibrations related to servo motors or the like as it is only sensitive to G sensors - I also had not locked the car.

ASSIDE: As I suspected and mentioned previously the prior (different thread) custom shop activity appears to have been primarily shop staff interacting with the car so not relevant here. One instance may also have simply been them charging my car at the shop.

If we can rule out a faulty FitCamX i your car, then I strongly suspect that there is additional PCM activity going on in your car that wakes the car and initiates a cam recording (or something to that effect). Again assuming a perfectly working cam, I think the FitCamX is a red herring in respect a culprit and the real cause is some issue with the car's electronics which in turn are causing the 12V issue/drain- I do not unfortunately have a clue what that might be.

PS: could the wired connections to your FitCamX not be 100% secure and causing bad signals? - that somehow seems like a stretch.
Thanks C. When did you get your Fitcamx and install it?

Also, do you mind sending me the same screenshot of your settings so I can compare your firmware version and settings? Again, weird that my chrono clock was lit before my 12v went dead, and now it is always dark.

Anyway, I will monitor the recording every night and let you know if it is randomly recording still. I believe it is. I will leave my car unlocked first, and then test it with the car locked if it keeps recording randomly.

Thank you for your assistance.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks C. When did you get your Fitcamx and install it?

Also, do you mind sending me the same screenshot of your settings so I can compare your firmware version and settings? Again, weird that my chrono clock was lit before my 12v went dead, and now it is always dark.

Anyway, I will monitor the recording every night and let you know if it is randomly recording still. I believe it is. I will leave my car unlocked first, and then test it with the car locked if it keeps recording randomly.

Thank you for your assistance.
Installed end Jan 2022.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Quick Q, just ordered the FitcamX , does it support a standard sized SD card or a micro SD card?

Also what's the optimal speed SD card I should get for the best uninterrupted continuous recording speed?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Got my Fitcam installed with the help of a friend who owns an audio installation shop 👍🏼

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation PSX_20220804_124646

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation PSX_20220804_125248

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation PSX_20220804_125737

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation Screenshot_20220804-130059

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation PSX_20220804_125737

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Anyone installed the dual camera FitcamX and if so is the cable to the rear camera long enough to route down to the cill level and then back up to the rear hatch on a CT?

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And screenshot below from Fitcamx. No light or motion sensor. Their explanation makes sense that the Porsche wakes up intermittently for some reason and hence powers the Fitcamx which starts recording. But why does the car wake up intermittently?

IMG_3742.jpeg
Any news on this? I looked at my newly installed fitcamx app and I have seen the same files the whole night?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Last edited:

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any news on this? I looked at my newly installed fitcamx app and I have seen the same files the whole night?
After Porsche did the uPdate, my car is totally fine now. I don't know if the cam records in the middle of the night, but at least my 12v has never drained.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you look in the app and look at the recording times?

Mine give this with the rain connector:

Porsche Taycan Fitcamx dashcam installation 1671014885946
Sponsored