daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I looked into the 19.2 kW retrofit for my 2020 Taycan - I was primarily interested in doing the Retrofit for Plug&Charge…but 19.2 kW would not be bad - but again mostly plug&charge…given cost (see below) I've decided to skip it.

dealer didn't know about the "kit" at first - showed them the Porsche Announcement - they said they'd get back to me…

few days later they found the "kit" but no install instructions…

Here’s what we’ve found.
The parts kit is $1850.15
The install currently looks to be $5400.00 (this could reduce to $3150.00 if we don’t need to replaced the harnesses to the charging sockets but I believe it will be needed)
Plug and charge should be enabled once completed.
Let me know if your interested and we can snag the parts kit (there are only a few in stock) while we await the official install guides.
so there is it - depending on actual install proceedure $3150 to $5400 to update a 2020 Taycan to support plug&charge…
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With respect to Plug&Charge, can you clarify your reference to the 19.2 kW retrofit and the recently announced 22kW on board charger availability?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
19.2 kw is the North American version of 22 kW charger - 22 kW is _NOT_ a thing in North America - 19.2 kW is the max L2 charge rate. 22 kW is for Europe and other markets.

North America (Canada, US, Mexico) all conform to the J-1772 L1/L2 AC charging standard - currently the standard allows for 19.2 kW max charging rate - that is a 100 amp 240 volt circuit breaker allowing for 80 amps of charging capacity …

240v * 80 amps = 19,200 watts or 19.2 kW

22,000 watts (or 22 kW) would require a 115 amp circuit breaker allowing for 92 amps of charging capacity - while there are 125 amp circuit breakers - 92 amp charging is just not a thing in north america…there are no EVSE's that support 125 amp breakers for charging, and there are no EV's on the market that would recognize a 125 amp EVSE - and there is no protocol in the J-1772 standard to even communicate a "value" above 100/80 amps…basically while you could do it electrically - it would all be bespoke/custom and unique to your EVSE and Vehicle…

in Europe (and other markets) I believe the 22 kW is a 3 phase electrical supply thing - and in the US residential and non-industrial electrical usage 3 phase electrical supply is also not a thing - with most residential power supply being 240V single phase or dual phase…

anyways when ever Porsche refers to 22 kW charging just substitute 19.2 kw for any North American market considerations…

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ge-software-update-2023-model-year-29112.html

from the press release - emphasis mine

The 22 kW onboard charger has now also recently become available for retrofitting1. Customers can combine this retrofit at their own expense with a workshop visit for the software update. With up to 22 kW of charging capacity, the more powerful variant charges the battery significantly faster. In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function. This enables convenient charging and payment without a card or app. As soon as the charging cable is plugged in, the Taycan establishes encrypted communication with the Plug & Charge-compatible charging station. The charging and payment processes then start automatically.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I looked into the 19.2 kW retrofit for my 2020 Taycan - I was primarily interested in doing the Retrofit for Plug&Charge…but 19.2 kW would not be bad - but again mostly plug&charge…given cost (see below) I've decided to skip it.

dealer didn't know about the "kit" at first - showed them the Porsche Announcement - they said they'd get back to me…

so there is it - depending on actual install proceedure $3150 to $5400 to update a 2020 Taycan to support plug&charge…
If your car (2020 MY) lacks Plug N Charge, you intend to keep that car for a loooooong time and you use public DC fast chargers that much....

I SUPPOSE the cost of retrofit is worthwhile, but thankfully owning a 2021 MY I don't have to wrestle with this decision. For me not worth it to squeeze out slightly faster level 2 charging speeds at home.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here is the text from the announcement. Note that the system does not display the superscript accurately so I have put it in red. It needs to be read in conjunction with the announcement.

The 22 kW onboard charger has now also recently become available for retrofitting 1. Customers can combine this retrofit at their own expense with a workshop visit for the software update. With up to 22 kW of charging capacity, the more powerful variant charges the battery significantly faster. In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function. This enables convenient charging and payment without a card or app. As soon as the charging cable is plugged in, the Taycan establishes encrypted communication with the Plug & Charge-compatible charging station. The charging and payment processes then start automatically.

1 Currently no offer for South Korea and Canada.

If you have 3 phase power in NA you can get 22 kW.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure this is correct

Canada conforms to the J-1772 standard for charging and uses the same EVSE's as the US/Mexico
  1. there are _NO_ North American 22 kW EVSE (EV Chargers) - maximum EVSE is a 100 amp ClipperCreek, Porsche Wall Charger, Tesla Gen2 and a few others
    1. the Porsche Wall charger only supports 100 amp breaker settings (80 amp charge) 19.2 kW max L2 charge rate _IF_ the Taycan were to support 22 kW charger you'd think the PowerWall charger sold in Canada and North America would support 22 kW charging - but again the Internals of the Porsche Wall charger only support 3 electrical "feeds" - 2 120V AC "hots" and one electrical "ground" - and there is no dip-switch setting for 22 kW.
  2. there is no protocol support in J-1772 to report to the vehicle there is a 115/92 amp breaker
  3. the European connectors has AC power/hot connections for 3 leads
  4. the North American J-1772 connector only has electrical connections for 2 leads (2 hots) - see picture below - to support 3 phase 22 kW charging you'd need a 3rd L3 charging pin in the J-1772 connector - there is no such connector/pin.
Porsche Taycan 19.2 kW charging Retrofit cost in US - price breakdown SAE_J1772_7058855567

I see NO METHOD to support 22 kW charging for any Canadian/US/Mexico Taycan - the plug is physically incapable of supporting the 22 kW charge rate and the wire gauge is also to small for such a load.

Canada has the same 19.2 kW limit as the US - until proven otherwise those are the facts.

Porsche is very very sloppy with their handling of charging statistics for North America - which is why nearly 3 years after it was released and posted that the Taycan only supports 9.6 kW charging in North America they still have updated it to reflect the facts that the standard equipment Taycan supports 11 kW charging in North American - it's just a limit of their mobile EVSE that limits them to 9.6 kW - it requires a 60 amp hardwired EVSE to support 11 kw…which at the time Porsche did not offer, but was available from other EVSE vendors.

prove me wrong - but it will require evidence/data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you'd have to have a European EVSE (the PMCC in Europe supports 22 kW) and the European charging port on your vehicle. Mennekes (Type2) listed below…3rd column - Canada vehicles come with the J1772 Type1 Connector same as US (1st column in the table below)

Porsche Taycan 19.2 kW charging Retrofit cost in US - price breakdown Charger-types

but yeah with a Eurospec EVSE and the Eurospec charging port 22 kW would probably work - not sure however about the vehicle software - not clear if there is a universal build for all Taycan's or if you'd have side load some eurospec Taycan software on the vehicle to support 22 kW charging or if it would "just" work…

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not talking about an EVSE charger as such. Just that you can get 3 phase 22kW power in North America. It will generally be in commercial establishments with big motors or maybe on farms. But the power company has to hook up the three feeds. It's not going to happen at a residence.

The problem I have is in the wording of the announcement, If I pretend I am a lawyer and read it as written there is nothing in the announcement to indicate that it is only a European thing and everything thing to indicate that it could be available in the US. Maybe just badly written. I also recall from another thread that there was to be a goodwill gesture from Porsche to get us MY2020 owners plug and charge but can't recall exactly where that was. $5,000+ isn't exactly good will.

I don't need either the 19.2 kW or 22 kW charger. I just would like to have Plug&Charge.

Deleted member 6348

That’s about what I expected it would cost.

My 2022 has Plug & Charge already and 22/19.2kw AC charging has little appeal for me. When I want to charge quickly, that’s what DC charging is for.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here Is the pin diagram of the European EV connector - note the additional pin for the 3rd electrical phase…

the following PINs present in the European connector are missing from J-1772
  • AC3 for 3rd phase power
  • ACN Neutral AC PIN
22 kW charging requires these pins…and a different communcation/safety protocol run across the CP/PP communication pins.

Porsche Taycan 19.2 kW charging Retrofit cost in US - price breakdown xtype-2-pin-layout.jpg.pagespeed.ic.glMvVS4EmO

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problem I have is in the wording of the announcement, If I pretend I am a lawyer and read it as written there is nothing in the announcement to indicate that it is only a European thing and everything thing to indicate that it could be available in the US. Maybe just badly written.
In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function.
the announcement specially calls out North America for availability - and says "up to 22 Kw" of charging - and plug and charge

like I said Porsche is very sloppy with their charging stats when it comes to North America L2 charging data and specifics.

I agree you can get 3-phase power, but there is no North American EV equipment that would take advantage of it - and if you hooked up European EV charging equipment you'd need the European charging port…which is physically incompatible with the rest of North America.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't need either the 19.2 kW or 22 kW charger. I just would like to have Plug&Charge.
I agree and it was my primary motivation…but alas too much money.

I've decided to save the $5k and donate that to my eventual .2 Taycan :cool::clap:

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag

Yesterday the Porsche McKinney (Texas) Service Center quoted me $2400 for the 19.2 Kw onboard charger and $3500 labor to retrofit it into our 2022 Taycan GTS. Since the service center is an 10 minute drive from our home and offer 350KW DC charging at no cost to Porsche EV owners, I think its a better solution to do a fast charge there when pressed for time.
Sponsored