Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
I wanted to provide an update on my fast home charging saga!

I received my new Taycan last week. As it turns out, the PMCC I received is the standard 9.6kW version -- actually, Porsche forgot to include the PMCC with my vehicle, so I was given one from another '21 in the showroom. There was no pigtail adapter included.

So it seems a high-powered option from Porsche for NA customers is still a pipe dream. ?

I already have a 100A circuit and have had a Tesla WC attached. I simply swapped the WC out for a Wattzilla Uno 80A charger and so far so good -- I'm getting 80A with both the Taycan and Tesla MS!

I also considered the Clipper Creek 80A, but the Wattzilla was less expensive, smaller and looks much nicer, and was available to ship right away vs 6-8 weeks with the Clipper Creek.

If I were to do it again, I would not get the PMCC ($1120) or Charging Dock ($470) and instead put the money into a Wattzilla Uno ($2K).

UPDATE 8/12/22: After a woefully substandard experience involving shipping and packaging for a recent multiple-charger purchase (which ended up costing me significant time and $ to resolve), along with an inadequate and unprofessional response from the company, sadly I can no longer recommend WattZilla chargers. My advice would be to steer clear.

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. taycan_chargin

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. wattzilla_80a_full

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. taycan_48mph

Last edited:

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I was told the 19.2 kW charger is supposed to be coming in March for the US. I spoke to the parts department at my dealer and they said part numbers are already in for the European version, but not yet for the US.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
19.2 kW does not require 3 phase power - it only requires a 100 amp circuit (80 amps for EVSE equipment).
I was told the 19.2 kW charger is supposed to be coming in March for the US. I spoke to the parts department at my dealer and they said part numbers are already in for the European version, but not yet for the US.
The PMCC supplied in UK is the 22kW one (MY21) but as we need a 3 phase supply it won't see much above 7.4kW for most home users given the cost and lead time to install a) the 3 phase supply, and b) the 22kW AC onboard charger > £1K required to use it...pointless really!

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The PMCC supplied in UK is the 22kW one (MY21) but as we need a 3 phase supply it won't see much above 7.4kW for most home users given the cost and lead time to install a) the 3 phase supply, and b) the 22kW AC onboard charger > £1K required to use it...pointless really!
In the US, there will be a single phase model.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I ordered the 19.2kW charger on my Taycan due in April (to be clear, the on-board charger, not a EVSE — people are still confused by this.) I plan to use it with a already installed Tesla Gen2 HPWC that is load-balanced with another Gen 2 HPWC sharing a 100A circuit. I purchased the 80A TeslaTap. I have a third Gen 1 HPWC on a dedicated 100A circuit as well, and just for kicks I have a NIB Gen2 HPWC as a cold spare. When Tesla discontinued the Gen2s and made the Gen3s not backwards compatible (annoying) I grabbed the extra Gen2.

I’m somewhat surprised the market has moved away from 19.2kW charging in the US. While many homes don’t have sufficient service from their utility to support it, I suspect most people buying high end Teslas or Taycans do have homes with sufficient service. My local utility has so much excess capacity in the middle of the night that they offer me almost free electricity on a time of use (TOU) plan as long as I have a dedicated meter for the EVs and I only charge between 1-5am. The only way to charge 3 EVs in four hours is with >9.6kW charging (at least during non-COVID times). This past year I probably could have used 120v and finished charging on most days. :\

I’m thankful that Porsche has kept the 19.2kW charger option in the US. The price is a bit much, however. In 2013 I think I paid $1k for “dual chargers” on my first Model S. But I guess that’s Porsche. The minimum 25% SOC on the profile needs to change, though. 5% is far more reasonable. Maybe Porsche will change it in a software update. I can always hope.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The minimum 25% SOC on the profile needs to change, though. 5% is far more reasonable. Maybe Porsche will change it in a software update. I can always hope.
I am not sure if there is a difference between European and US Taycan. I normally just use a timer and skip the profile altogether.

When I get home I just plug in and set the charge to be finished at 07.00. My low cost electricity is between 02.00 and 0.700. The system may start a little bit before 02.00 if SOC is low When I plug in. But that is still cheaper than staring directly at plug in. Just untick the profile altogether and check.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not sure if there is a difference between European and US Taycan. I normally just use a timer and skip the profile altogether.

When I get home I just plug in and set the charge to be finished at 07.00. My low cost electricity is between 02.00 and 0.700. The system may start a little bit before 02.00 if SOC is low When I plug in. But that is still cheaper than staring directly at plug in. Just untick the profile altogether and check.
I won’t have my Taycan until April. My understanding is the profile is necessary to limit charging to 85%?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Never thought of this (disabling all profiles). My net result would be the same - at 25 miles per hour charging, unless I had a really low SOC, it wouldn't start until off-peak hours to be finished at 6am anyway.
I won’t have my Taycan until April. My understanding is the profile is necessary to limit charging to 85%?
No - this is what a timer is for. Timer sets maximum, profile sets minimum.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never thought of this (disabling all profiles). My net result would be the same - at 25 miles per hour charging, unless I had a really low SOC, it wouldn't start until off-peak hours to be finished at 6am anyway.

No - this is what a timer is for. Timer sets maximum, profile sets minimum.
So I timer set to 1am would result In the car not charging, regardless of SOC, until 1am and would still respect a charge limit (85%)? If so, this is good news for me. My ideal is “start at 1am, stop at either the SOC limit or 5am, whichever occurs first.”

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m somewhat surprised the market has moved away from 19.2kW charging in the US. While many homes don’t have sufficient service from their utility to support it, I suspect most people buying high end Teslas or Taycans do have homes with sufficient service. My local utility has so much excess capacity in the middle of the night that they offer me almost free electricity on a time of use (TOU) plan as long as I have a dedicated meter for the EVs and I only charge between 1-5am. The only way to charge 3 EVs in four hours is with >9.6kW charging (at least during non-COVID times). This past year I probably could have used 120v and finished charging on most days. :\
I'm not even going to bother swapping the breaker to update from my 32A charger to the 40A-capable Porsche charger. The car is going to charge up overnight either way, so there's just never any need for something better. If I need more, the EA station is a mile away.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I have a multi-EVSE shared circuit 100 amp charging setup - 4 Tesla Wall chargers sharing a 100 amp circuit - which means when only one car is charging it can have up to 80 amp for itself.

I owned a P85/P85D w/Dual 80 amp chargers - and did charge at 19.2 kW - it was nice. My Wife’s Model X has a 72 amp charger and it is also nice.

I’m simply suggesting - the only 100 amp charger I’m aware of since Tesla no longer offer’s it’s 100 amp wall charger is the ClipperCreek for $2195

just making sure it’s an informed purchase - this option will be very unlikely to benefit you away from your home charging setup.
I wish the Porsche sales people were as knowledgeable about this stuff as you are. Come to find out my forthcoming Turbo S will have an onboard 19.2 kW AC charger (+$1,680) and 150 kW 400V DC charger ($460), neither of which I'll ever be able to use.

That's $2,140 down the toilet that I could've used for beer and beef jerky. :(

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish the Porsche sales people were as knowledgeable about this stuff as you are. Come to find out my forthcoming Turbo S will have an onboard 19.2 kW AC charger (+$1,680) and 150 kW 400V DC charger ($460), neither of which I'll ever be able to use.

That's $2,140 down the toilet that I could've used for beer and beef jerky. :(
Why do you feel you will never use the 19.2 kW charger?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Why do you feel you will never use the 19.2 kW charger?
there are very few 100/80 amp L2 chargers in the wild in North America - it’s not a thing - most public chargers are 40 or 30 amps.

there are some around - but not a lot and not enough to depend on for any planning purposed.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there are very few 100/80 amp L2 chargers in the wild in North America - it’s not a thing - most public chargers are 40 or 30 amps.

there are some around - but not a lot and not enough to depend on for any planning purposed.
I agree, I thought this was really for the home where you could spare a 100 AMP breaker. I agree, if you don't have 100 AMP breaker at home, keep your money.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I’ve found a few “Tesla Destination“ chargers that are 80A, or at least load balanced with an 100A circuit. Grab a Tesla tap etc and it can be useful. But I agree it’s not worth it for 99% of Taycan owners, especially at what Porsche is charging for the feature.
Sponsored

Last edited: