Is the new 19.2 kW on board charger worth it?

irubinshteyn

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
Hello,

I am currently using a Tesla with Adair wall charger.
I am now “building” a Taycan 4 cross turismo.

I am planning to install a wall charger (similar to Tesla) either the Porsche one or a 3rd party. - don’t t want to use just the plug plus I keep it outside in the driveway.

I am trying to decide if I should add the $1,680 19.2 Kw on- board charger to my build.? Does it make a significant difference? It seems useful but not sure.
Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

irubinshteyn

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
I'm glad I added it. I'll charge her when she gets under 50% to 80% and it takes an hour or so.
Do you use the Porsche wall charger?

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
I’ve got 100A 240v in my garage, I would love this feature, but I’m buying used and no one seems to check that box and sell their car!

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
I think the 19.2kw ac charging option can be dealer installed, but I may be mistaken? Could someone please confirm?

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You'll need to hire an electrician to install the PWCC, but refer to the following thread ahead of time so you know what is going on better than the electrician.

Porsche Wall Charger Connect | Unbox & Install

I'm very satisfied with the unit, but there remains an open question of whether it will charge a non-Porsche, non-Audi, non-VW EV to full charge. This has never been an issue for my Taycan, and the PWCC doesn't have the overheating issue on the cables of the PMCC.

Some posts in the above thread from last year stated that in some instances the PWCC would start charging a non-Porsche EV fine and then stop at some point for unclear reasons, leaving you without charge when you went out the car in the morning. My experience in charging a Tesla for 30 minutes produced no issues, but that isn't a full, overnight charge.

There is a
new SW release for the PWCC and it may have changed some aspects of this, but I've been unable to test it.

Regardless of which EVSE you go with, I think the onboard Taycan 19.2 KW charger is a good investment.

Last edited:

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's for you if you don't live near a Level 3 (>150 kW) charging station and frequently need to charge rapidly at home.

But it's not for me. Like many others here in the USA, I'm fine with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage that handles 240 volts @ 50 amps. That'll deliver a 9.6 kW charging rate which easily charges overnight in theory, but alas Porsche's basic equipment is notorious for overheating. Hopefully Porsche's new PWCC (Porsche Wall Charger Connect) won't overheat.

To take advantage of 19.2 kW, you'll need to pay to have a certified electrician install a dedicated 240 volt 100 amp circuit for your home charging station, and then also purchase a 240 volt 100 amp EV charger for your home. Diarrhea of the wallet, anyone?

volts x amps = watts
50 amps max means 40 amps sustained
100 amps max means 80 amps sustained

240 volts x 40 amps = 9600 W = 9.6 kW
240 volts x 80 amps = 19,200 W = 19.2 kW

9.6 kW x 10 hr = 96 kWh so if your battery is at zero it'll be at full charge in under 10 hours. Charging at 19.2 kW cuts the charging time roughly in half.

OP
OP

irubinshteyn

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross turismo 4
Country flag
It's for you if you don't live near a Level 3 (>150 kW) charging station and frequently need to charge rapidly at home.

But it's not for me. Like many others here in the USA, I'm fine with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage that handles 240 volts @ 50 amps. That'll deliver a 9.6 kW charging rate which easily charges overnight in theory, but alas Porsche's basic equipment is notorious for overheating. Hopefully Porsche's new PWCC (Porsche Wall Charger Connect) won't overheat.

To take advantage of 19.2 kW, you'll need to pay to have a certified electrician install a dedicated 240 volt 100 amp circuit for your home charging station, and then also purchase a 240 volt 100 amp EV charger for your home. Diarrhea of the wallet, anyone?

volts x amps = watts
50 amps max means 40 amps sustained
100 amps max means 80 amps sustained

240 volts x 40 amps = 9600 W = 9.6 kW
240 volts x 80 amps = 19,200 W = 19.2 kW

9.6 kW x 10 hr = 96 kWh so if your battery is at zero it'll be at full charge in under 10 hours. Charging at 19.2 kW cuts the charging time roughly in half.
I already gave a connection of that type for the fast Tesla charger. According to my electrician, it’s just a few hundred bucks to swap out the Tesla charger for the Porsche one

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I already gave a connection of that type for the fast Tesla charger. According to my electrician, it’s just a few hundred bucks to swap out the Tesla charger for the Porsche one
or just get an 80 amp TeslaTap which you will want anyways

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If you mostly charge
Hello,

I am currently using a Tesla with Adair wall charger.
I am now “building” a Taycan 4 cross turismo.

I am planning to install a wall charger (similar to Tesla) either the Porsche one or a 3rd party. - don’t t want to use just the plug plus I keep it outside in the driveway.

I am trying to decide if I should add the $1,680 19.2 Kw on- board charger to my build.? Does it make a significant difference? It seems useful but not sure.
Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
If you mostly charge at home overnight then it is an expensive option that you don't need.

If public charging (DC) is your main go to then again the option is not needed.

If you already have the power setup at home to feed this amount of power then you'll get 50% faster charging with the standard 11kW AC onboard charger in any case

Personally, I'd skip it (and have twice now).

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
or just get an 80 amp TeslaTap which you will want anyways
Hey @daveo4EV - from the other post you linked on the 19.2kw retrofit, I interpreted this as you chose not to do the retro fit and rather just upgrade your Taycan at some point down the road. My build is locked and I didn't chose the 19.2 option and wish I did.

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
If you mostly charge
If you mostly charge at home overnight then it is an expensive option that you don't need.

If public charging (DC) is your main go to then again the option is not needed.

If you already have the power setup at home to feed this amount of power then you'll get 50% faster charging with the standard 11kW AC onboard charger in any case

Personally, I'd skip it (and have twice now).
can you get 11kW if you do not have the 19.2 option but do have the capabilities at home? 80+ Amp circuit hardwired)
Sponsored