David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
one is a 2 door sports car that has a shorter wheel base
the other is a 4 door sports sedan with a long wheel base

two very very different vehicle's - both fun - both excellent versions of their category - but not even remotely the same

it confuses me as to why this comparison keeps coming up

no one compares a Miata to a Mazda 3 series

if you want a Lux 4 door class leading sports Sedan you're hard pressed to find a better offering than the Taycan

if you want a fun 2 seater 2 doors sports car the 911 is recognized as the best all around sports car - period.

not the same two things.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sky92

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
I would highly recommend getting all-season tires on 19” or 20” wheels instead of high performance tires. That will help a lot with range. Keep it around 75 mph and you should be fine.
the car has 21”... does it influence a lot?

OP
OP
sky92

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
Switching from a 911 to a Taycan is a lot harder to answer, probably why no one has tried!
The two cars are very different, one a sports car and the other a GT.
Personally I would give the Tacan a go, if after a year it’s not for you buy another 911!
Thanks, yes I think I’ll try the Taycan. In case I can’t manage with my needs

OP
OP
sky92

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
How much is the battery loss when the car is parked?

because I do (as reported above) three times for month:
Home -> work (100miles)
5-7 max days of stop no charging
Work -> home (100miles)

thanks for answering

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the car has 21”... does it influence a lot?
my Taycan on all season mission-e wheels used to go 270 miles no problem - there are trip reports on this forum documenting it

since switching to Summer performance tires it's a stretch to get 230 miles

I'm waiting for the summer tires to wear out (I'm past the 70% wear point) to move back to all seasons - I'm going to be very very interested to see what difference it makes, and if I can get back to 270 mile range…

a youTuber who does a lot of car review and is quite meticulous just tested the Lucid Air with it's 19" range tires (all seasons) vs. it's 22/20" performance tires on the exact same driving loop in nearly exact same weather conditions - in that video the tire/wheel size difference was about a 15% hit on range for the bigger wheels and grippier rubber…

so yeah it can make a difference.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Home -> work (100miles)
Work -> home (100miles)

thanks for answering
there is virtually no vampire draw on the Taycan - it can sit for days/weeks with no measured loss in battery capacity.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my Taycan on all season mission-e wheels used to go 270 miles no problem - there are trip reports on this forum documenting it

since switching to Summer performance tires it's a stretch to get 230 miles

I'm waiting for the summer tires to wear out (I'm past the 70% wear point) to move back to all seasons - I'm going to be very very interested to see what difference it makes, and if I can get back to 270 mile range…

a youTuber who does a lot of car review and is quite meticulous just tested the Lucid Air with it's 19" range tires (all seasons) vs. it's 22/20" performance tires on the exact same driving loop in nearly exact same weather conditions - in that video the tire/wheel size difference was about a 15% hit on range for the bigger wheels and grippier rubber…

so yeah it can make a difference.
NOTE: the range numbers quoted above are actual honest to god driving numbers where I had to stop and charge because of low battery percentage (sometimes as low as 4% battery remaining) - not just the "guess-o-meter" range displayed by the center console and is easily wrong/misleading

on a recent road trip (1800+ miles - 13 fast charging stops + overnight charging at hotels) - 230 miles was "max" driving range - with me having to stop based on charger location typically between 190-210 miles of actual highway driving…mild temperatures.

OP
OP
sky92

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
NOTE: the range numbers quoted above are actual honest to god driving numbers where I had to stop and charge because of low battery percentage (sometimes as low as 4% battery remaining) - not just the "guess-o-meter" range displayed by the center console and is easily wrong/misleading

on a recent road trip (1800+ miles - 13 fast charging stops + overnight charging at hotels) - 230 miles was "max" driving range - with me having to stop based on charger location typically between 190-210 miles of actual highway driving…mild temperatures.
Many thanks for all details.

The car now has Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric as first equipment.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
the big need is that I have to perform 3 times month home-work-home and it takes 200miles of highway for both trips.
We have a summer house which is about 160 miles round trip. I normally start with 85% and end with 17% to 20% depending upon how many side trips we make. If you started with 100% (as you could if this were a regular commute) under normal speeds and driving conditions, you'd be around 20% when you returned.

You might want to look for a charging spot along the way back home. If you were running low due to heat/air conditioner/excess speed or other factor, you could always stop for 10 minutes for a quick charge.

That's the beauty of a regular commute: you know what route you'll take so you can plan a backup in case you need a charge.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have a summer house which is about 160 miles round trip. I normally start with 85% and end with 17% to 20% depending upon how many side trips we make. If you started with 100% (as you could if this were a regular commute) under normal speeds and driving conditions, you'd be around 20% when you returned.

You might want to look for a charging spot along the way back home. If you were running low due to heat/air conditioner/excess speed or other factor, you could always stop for 10 minutes for a quick charge.

That's the beauty of a regular commute: you know what route you'll take so you can plan a backup in case you need a charge.
expanding on this excellent post just bit…

EV's are crazy crazy consistent at consumption - once you have a route - and have done it once or twice and measured the consumption - you can pretty much rely on that same consumption being repeatable over and over and over and over…it's really amazing

we have a route in my area that takes 22% battery - it always takes 22% battery - almost doens't matter how I drive - it takes 22% battery - in fact it's so consistent that once I only had 25% battery - and was too lazy to stop to charge and knowing it took only 22% battery - I set out on the route - guess what - it took 22% battery and I arrived with 3% battery and promptly plugged in

EV's are super consistent for consumption on the same route - once you get it dialed in it will be super reliable and predictable.

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
there is virtually no vampire draw on the Taycan - it can sit for days/weeks with no measured loss in battery capacity.
As a recent real-world data point, we just left our car in a friends garage for 17 days while on vacation, not plugged in to an EVSE. Starting SoC 80%, ending when we picked it up, 79%.

xy911jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Home -> work (100miles)
Work -> home (100miles)

thanks for answering

I came from a 911 too and, as other people said, there is no comparison to make. Totally different things.

Re. your range questions: forget the loss when idle, it's irrelevant. Still, 200miles is too risky, especially if its most on highways. But then I have two questions: why are you afraid of stopping for a quick charge (it will take the time for an espresso + bathroom)? and why 5 days no charging? Italy is full of 22kw stations, even in small towns and remote locations: first time you go for lunch or dinner you plug it in and get the extra miles you need.

OP
OP
sky92

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
As a recent real-world data point, we just left our car in a friends garage for 17 days while on vacation, not plugged in to an EVSE. Starting SoC 80%, ending when we picked it up, 79%.
Amazing!

I’m not leaving the car more than7 days so perfect.
Sponsored