First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Hi:
I'm a little alarmed to hear the complaints about the poor camera on the Taycans. I currently drive a BMW M4. I also live in San Francisco. It's very tight driving in the city. I leverage the rear camera a lot, surround sometimes, and the proximity beeper ALL the time. Even in my home garage which is SF small (and will feel tiny with the Tycoon ).

I have a GTS on order.

Question:
  • I heard they fixed the poor rear camera issues in this year's models (maybe the new pcm?)
  • Are there proximity sensors on the Taycan? I often find them more useful than the camera because on the M4 they pretty much surround the car.
Thanks!
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Are there proximity sensors on the Taycan? I often find them more useful than the camera because on the M4 they pretty much surround the car.
Yes and I find them very responsive and accurate.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi:
I'm a little alarmed to hear the complaints about the poor camera on the Taycans. I currently drive a BMW M4. I also live in San Francisco. It's very tight driving in the city. I leverage the rear camera a lot, surround sometimes, and the proximity beeper ALL the time. Even in my home garage which is SF small (and will feel tiny with the Tycoon ).

I have a GTS on order.

Question:
  • I heard they fixed the poor rear camera issues in this year's models (maybe the new pcm?)
  • Are there proximity sensors on the Taycan? I often find them more useful than the camera because on the M4 they pretty much surround the car.
Thanks!
Suggest reading the spec of the car you've ordered (!!) - proximity sensors are called 'parking sensors' (front and rear), cameras are great and if you have optioned the 360 surround then you'll have 4 cameras (one in each door mirror, one in front and one in rear). Quality is great (I have MY21) and most of us on the forum don't see what all the negative comments are about emanating from the States!

OP
OP

andrew1cohen

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayvan GTS, June BMW M4 Convert, Audi, Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Great, thank you!

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Great, thank you!
Depending how tight it is, consider the remote park. You can stick the nose in, get out the car and let it drive itself the rest of the way in.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
Depending how tight it is, consider the remote park. You can stick the nose in, get out the car and let it drive itself the rest of the way in.
I'm curious, do you use remote park often?

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only to mess around with; I don’t have a parking challenge (yet)… but expect one in the future which is why it’s also coming on my next delivery.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
The rear camera is pretty crappy on my '22 GTS. Things are pretty distorted as a car few feet away on the side appeared as few inches away on the screen. It's very hard to judge distance without looking at the surround/top-down view screen next to the rear camera view. The rear cams on my Teslas are much clearer and much bigger.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The rear camera is pretty crappy on my '22 GTS. Things are pretty distorted as a car few feet away on the side appeared as few inches away on the screen. It's very hard to judge distance without looking at the surround/top-down view screen next to the rear camera view. The rear cams on my Teslas are much clearer and much bigger.
Have you tried tapping the camera icon on the screen to change from fisheye to non-fisheye - there are two view for front and rear?

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Have you tried tapping the camera icon on the screen to change from fisheye to non-fisheye - there are two view for front and rear?
I have. The non-fisheye is better but still distorted.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Suggest reading the spec of the car you've ordered (!!) - proximity sensors are called 'parking sensors' (front and rear), cameras are great and if you have optioned the 360 surround then you'll have 4 cameras (one in each door mirror, one in front and one in rear). Quality is great (I have MY21) and most of us on the forum don't see what all the negative comments are about emanating from the States!
Agreed- I'm another happy UK owner and have a garage entry so tight that I have to fold the mirrors.
I read somewhere that remote park declines any challenge that doesn't leave a lot of margin for error.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed- I'm another happy UK owner and have a garage entry so tight that I have to fold the mirrors.

I read somewhere that remote park declines any challenge that doesn't leave a lot of margin for error.
I can’t remember the distance, I would say that it parks closer than the space I
Need to get out though..:.

hannu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I used to own a MY21 car with the surround cameras, but no remote parking, and now I updated to a new car with the added parking assistant. Now I also got that 3d view of the car which is in my opinion is quite useless and inaccurate in those situations you would actually need that view.

In my old car I was able to switch the camera view to the mirror cameras which gave a great view to corners of the car, and made the parking and fitting the car to tight places easier. Now that 3d rendered view is the only option which feels like a downgrade compared to that actually useful camera view. Shame that they couldn't just have included that one extra button in this more expensive setup also (or am I missing something?)...

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I too came from a M4 (convertible) to my current CT 4S - yes the camera system in the M4 is arguably better designed (but as such it may be one of the best out there so a tough comparison), but despite the large no. of complaints on the Forum of the Porsche camera view, I have in reality not had a single problem using it - genuinely believe these complaints are overstated and whilst the system could of course be improved it is perfectly usable and highly accurate, especially if you have the full 360 setup. The biggest 'correction' for me TBH was getting used to the incredibly responsive 4 wheel driving - slightest movement of the steering wheel has an instant response in low speed maneurving etc. and the accuracy/responsiveness of the sensors have def saved my butt a few times :)!
Sponsored