Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Finally had some downtime and a day off to take my car for its first real inaugural drive up in the mountains, in this case the famed ACH (Angeles Crest Highway) seen in dozens of California based car review videos.

Porsche Taycan Fun run up in the mountains (CT 4S) 51828479366_e3bf36164e_c

My overall driving impressions: I set the car more or less to 'maximum attack' settings (Sport Plus everything, throttle, suspension damping, ride height, etc) and the only real handicap is my car came with Pirelli Cinturato All Seasons rather than stickier summer P Zeros or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which I would have preferred.

For a nearly 5000 lb car, it handled admirably, aided by all the performance options I specced (rear wheel steer, PDCC, rear PTV diff, etc) but I could definitely feel the weight of the car the longer the drive went, and my arms fatigued much faster versus driving my former 3400 lb 911 Turbo or 3000 lb Cayman GTS up the same route, and with the less sticky all seasons, I didn't push the car nearly as hard, altho the deceptive speed of an EV, I was still probably driving nearly as fast in terms of absolute speed in the tight mountain roads.

Porsche Taycan Fun run up in the mountains (CT 4S) 51828477441_f0864049e0_c

Porsche Taycan Fun run up in the mountains (CT 4S) 51828587893_8f0465274c_c

Overall it was a fun drive, but it also helped me to find out how much battery range was burned in a 60+ mile uphill/downhill fast mountain drive which will help me plan in later group drives with ICE powered performance cars. If the planned mountain route is too long I will have to really plan around the battery charge.

Porsche Taycan Fun run up in the mountains (CT 4S) 51828680878_74e68e1e71_c

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Finally had some downtime and a day off to take my car for its first real inaugural drive up in the mountains, in this case the famed ACH (Angeles Crest Highway) seen in dozens of California based car review videos.

51828479366_e3bf36164e_c.jpg

My overall driving impressions: I set the car more or less to 'maximum attack' settings (Sport Plus everything, throttle, suspension damping, ride height, etc) and the only real handicap is my car came with Pirelli Cinturato All Seasons rather than stickier summer P Zeros or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which I would have preferred.

For a nearly 5000 lb car, it handled admirably, aided by all the performance options I specced (rear wheel steer, PDCC, rear PTV diff, etc) but I could definitely feel the weight of the car the longer the drive went, and my arms fatigued much faster versus driving my former 3400 lb 911 Turbo or 3000 lb Cayman GTS up the same route, and with the less sticky all seasons, I didn't push the car nearly as hard, altho the deceptive speed of an EV, I was still probably driving nearly as fast in terms of absolute speed in the tight mountain roads.

51828477441_f0864049e0_c.jpg

51828587893_8f0465274c_c.jpg

Overall it was a fun drive, but it also helped me to find out how much battery range was burned in a 30+ mile uphill/downhill fast mountain drive which will help me plan in later group drives with ICE powered performance cars. If the planned mountain route is too long I will have to really plan around the battery charge.

51828680878_74e68e1e71_c.jpg
Thanks for the interesting trip report. Out of curiosity: what was your consumption over that 30+ miles stretch?

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the interesting trip report. Out of curiosity: what was your consumption over that 30+ miles stretch?
Approx 25-30% SoC going uphill (30+ miles one way) and less going downhill because I didn't drive as hard, had gravity in my favor and had regen actively on. Plus it got colder as I went up the mountain which didn't help range (30-40F at the top)

Sorry it's more like 60+ miles round trip, that's my bad

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Approx 25-30% SoC going uphill (30+ miles one way) and less going downhill because I didn't drive as hard, had gravity in my favor and had regen actively on. Plus it got colder as I went up the mountain which didn't help range (30-40F at the top)

Sorry it's more like 60+ miles round trip, that's my bad
Doesn't sound too bad in terms of consumption.

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi OP! How do you like the 20” aero wheel ad tire set? Don’t see that being specced often and interested to know the look and feel when seeing them in real life.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi OP! How do you like the 20” aero wheel ad tire set? Don’t see that being specced often and interested to know the look and feel when seeing them in real life.
They're fine and look better from a distance than up close, but they do the job. I plan to shop for a dedicated set of lighter forged wheels + summer tires next year and keep the all season tires on the stock 20" wheels for winter trips

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag

51828479366_e3bf36164e_c.jpg

51828477441_f0864049e0_c.jpg

51828587893_8f0465274c_c.jpg

Overall it was a fun drive, but it also helped me to find out how much battery range was burned in a 60+ mile uphill/downhill fast mountain drive which will help me plan in later group drives with ICE powered performance cars. If the planned mountain route is too long I will have to really plan around the battery charge.

51828680878_74e68e1e71_c.jpg
Amazing pics... pl change the side markers to clear and it would be even better!

Nachyomama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Have you driven with the all seasons in the snow?
Sponsored