OP
SFEVER

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I will note that the current digital Homelink function, which exists in 2020 Audis and Porsches, does NOT automatically open the door when you approach it. Even if after you link a GPS location to the door. What it does is it brings down the door opening menu so that you can touch the button and open your door. Without that, you need two touches instead of one to open the garage door; one to bring down the door button menu and the other to actually push the door (i.e., the 1 of 8) that you want opened. It is definitely not magical, but it's just fine.

Upon further investigation looks like you are correct. It is the same as on the Audi the GPS only triggers the display to offer manual execution of the function. It dose not perform the open command automatically as I hoped...
Sponsored

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Upon further investigation looks like you are correct. It is the same as on the Audi the GPS only triggers the display to offer manual execution of the function. It dose not perform the open command automatically as I hoped...
It makes the most sense though. I could see there being real safety reasons for not automatically opening the garage door (I.e.: someone steals your car and can then get easy entry to your home). There are also devices you can attach to your garage door motor so you can use your iPhone and “Hey Siri” to open the doors.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I could see there being real safety reasons for not automatically opening the garage door (I.e.: someone steals your car and can then get easy entry to your home)...
Unfortunately, this is true with most people's Homelink-equipped cars. Most people store their "home" in their NAV, so if a car is stolen, someone could simply get directions "Home" and easily open the garage door. Since many people do not lock the door into their home from inside the garage, the only deterrent at that point is the security system (if it is enabled at all).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is true with most people's Homelink-equipped cars. Most people store their "home" in their NAV, so if a car is stolen, someone could simply get directions "Home" and easily open the garage door. Since many people do not lock the door into their home from inside the garage, the only deterrent at that point is the security system (if it is enabled at all).
Very valid point, unless you can program a PIN to start and drive the car?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Very valid point, unless you can program a PIN to start and drive the car?
That would be cool. Especially with comfort access associated risks, or if someone fishes your keys through letterbox etc.

BuckStrom

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Guys, all you need to do is program the joker (wildcard) diamond key on either the dash or steering wheel. Then all you need to do is push the button to open or close your garage door. The GPS feature is even cooler so that the car will know which signal to send when you push the diamond key according to whether you are home (garage) or a gate. Combined with the GPS linked feature to raise the chassis, it allows me smooth entrance to by driveway without scraping and easy opening of garage door.

Bablosik

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The Taycan has GPS, but it doesn't work as cool as the Tesla. Tesla cars have the best connection to Homelink. I'm not exactly sure about that, but it is according to my friend who has a Tesla. I think we should all sit down for an evening and take a good look at all the Homelink features, for that matter. Although I always have problems not with my car but with the garage door itself, I have to call Austin Gate Company. Sometimes I think anyone could get into my house through the garage if they hacked into the Homelink system.
Sponsored