First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
For the last
It's all relative but it's probably better to keep the car longer and ride out the loss than switch so soon to something not so drastically different....
For 40+ years I have bought cars new but kept the several years, unless I didn’t like them and that only happened once in that time, such that the inevitable depreciation isn’t too painful.

That does mean I probably look at each purchase differently than most people though.
With that one exception I have never kept a car less than 4 years, more usually 6 and in a couple of cases over 20!

If I was the sort of person who wanted to change cars every couple of years I would buy used, but I have never fancied owning a used car…
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It has a unique set-up compared to other Taycans, and is the (cliche) "sweet-spot" in the Taycan range.
I think it depends on what you use the car for.
When I ordered my CT 4S it was the sweet spot in the range (ie apparently had by far the longest allocation queue) but the GTS didn’t exist yet.
Initially one could get a GTS build sooner than the very long queue for a CT so I did consider it but after extensive (I am retired and have too much spare time) dicking about on the configurator and studying the engineering differences came to the clear conclusion the CT 4S was still the sweet spot for my use case and still is.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
I think it depends on what you use the car for.
If I bring that logic into it, I should have stuck with my RWD Taycan. 90% of my driving is sat on cruise control at 120 km/h, driving between the NL and UK, with two toddlers in the back seats. :CWL:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I bring that logic into it, I should have stuck with my RWD Taycan. 90% of my driving is sat on cruise control at 120 km/h, driving between the NL and UK, with two toddlers in the back seats. :CWL:
My logic was the incremental (non-launch) power increase wasn’t much over a 4S and the CT has more bump travel and softer suspension then a GTS which will be better for me 95% of the time on the dire roads around here.
Added to that the GTS racetex and leather interior, which I loved even in black, wasn’t available with ventilated massage seats I ended up with a slightly more expensive car with slightly less suitable suspension so my choice was simple.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
If it's any consolation, I picked up my RWD Taycan in November. I will be trading that in come beginning of July for a GTS ST, and I'll be losing slightly more than you. Granted, there is a bigger difference between a RWD Taycan and a GTS compared with a 4S, but the depreciation argument still stands.

I haven't driven a GTS, but from all the feedback I've read, and watched, the GTS is more than just a slight increase in performance on the 4S. It has a unique set-up compared to other Taycans, and is the (cliche) "sweet-spot" in the Taycan range. I see it as a big step-up over the 4S in driver satisfaction. Or at least I hope it will be.
I think it's a step up from the RWD but i wouldn't say it's a big step up from a 4S. The dealer thinks either the 4S or GTS work so it's a matter of choice ultimately.

I would say the options you have are probably more important though.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
For the last

For 40+ years I have bought cars new but kept the several years, unless I didn’t like them and that only happened once in that time, such that the inevitable depreciation isn’t too painful.

That does mean I probably look at each purchase differently than most people though.
With that one exception I have never kept a car less than 4 years, more usually 6 and in a couple of cases over 20!

If I was the sort of person who wanted to change cars every couple of years I would buy used, but I have never fancied owning a used car…
Very interesting. I've never kept one for less than 3 years and my last one has been my daily driver for 13yrs. Finally someone I can relate to 😁

The funny thing is that I actually planned keeping the current car for 12 years when I bought it and in all that time, I haven't felt the urge to go and buy another because I just like(d) it.

One drawback of 'liking' a car for some reason is that you forgive certain things / occurrences that another person would never accept if they didn't really like the machine. Part of being a fan I guess.

Last edited:

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Cancelled the GTS yesterday... salesman offered me £16k less on than i paid on my 4S CT...
You made the right decision. I had to turn down an allocation for a GTS ST earlier this week for a different but equally logical reason.

The 4S CT is basically the same car though, so you aren't missing out on much.

However, that is interesting in so far as the used market is absolutely correcting. My prediction is it will overcorrect first. That is, used prices will plummet below normal depreciation curves this year, only because they went through the roof last year.

Depreciation in 2024 will then smooth out.

Averaged out over 3 years, the usual 10% depreciation will then be observed.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Spot on...

Spoke to my brother in law about this who is in the Motor trade.

He said that the car was worth around £104k but trade needs a 10% margin at least so £94k was about right. EV prices are falling faster as some charging companies have tried to make a bigger profit on what they are buying for (Osprey £1 .. now still overpriced at 79p) so has had a bigger negaitve impact.

Interesting that the dealer said there weren't many cancellations though but i guess plenty of people waiting on the first GTS as not many on the road.

Bonus is that i get my £5k deposit back which will do nicely!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spot on...

Spoke to my brother in law about this who is in the Motor trade.

He said that the car was worth around £104k but trade needs a 10% margin at least so £94k was about right. EV prices are falling faster as some charging companies have tried to make a bigger profit on what they are buying for (Osprey £1 .. now still overpriced at 79p) so has had a bigger negaitve impact.

Interesting that the dealer said there weren't many cancellations though but i guess plenty of people waiting on the first GTS as not many on the road.

Bonus is that i get my £5k deposit back which will do nicely!
Re-asses later in the year. Even used GTS will have more appealing prices by then. I expect a lot will be sold in the next 6-8 months...

You also have £5k to drop on another Porsche when the time is right.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Re-asses later in the year. Even used GTS will have more appealing prices by then. I expect a lot will be sold in the next 6-8 months...

You also have £5k to drop on another Porsche when the time is right.
Agreed, will look at the Macan GTS EV next year perhaps!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed, will look at the Macan GTS EV next year perhaps!
I'm awaiting the Cayman EV. I have already decided on the PTS colour and the colour of the alloys 😂

I now just need to decide RHD or LHD, but then I don't know where I will be spending more time, UK or EU.

... The enormous problems I have in my life.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm awaiting the Cayman EV. I have already decided on the PTS colour and the colour of the alloys 😂

I now just need to decide RHD or LHD, but then I don't know where I will be spending more time, UK or EU.

... The enormous problems I have in my life.
Definitely get a passenger display for when you accidently get in the wrong side of the car! :)
Sponsored