nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
Which one of the following performance Taycan 4S config options provide a noticeable driving performance enhancements where they become essentials options a driver would enjoy?

1) Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) - $3,590
2) Rear Axle Steering incl. Power Steering Plus - $1,620
4) Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) - $1,500
5) Sport Chrono Package - $1,320 (have heard Sport Chrono provides the knob on the steering wheel allowing the drivers to select drive modes but those same options are accessible via the menu screens)

My approach to all of this is to configure the car with features that actually make a noticable "fun" in driving enhancement while balancing dollars spent. For example, if Rear Axle Steering include Power Steering plus is really just about ease of parking a car, that's a no go purchase for me, it's a small enough car to easily park or PDCC Sport may just be for people tracking cars regularly, I may take it to the track 2 times a year.

Also separately, does the following really make a noticeable sound difference or is it really just an expensive light tint which provides better UV protections and lense warmth from the sun in the car?

6) Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass (list of benefits per Porsche configurator below) - $1,130
  • Noticeably improved acoustics due to the minimization of external noises
  • UV protection
  • Reduced warming of the interior
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well ... all of them.

1. definitely
2. Makes more of a difference at lower speeds than you might think. Not must have I suppose. I do enjoy it thoroughly. The 911 turbo is very wide and this really helps.
4. I’m not sure how to quantify this separately from (1). I’d do both but ymmv
5. I really enjoy the on wheel knob to select driving style. Use it all the time on 911. You can save some money and select from the menu instead but I doubt I want to do that at a stop light, etc. you can just always put into sport mode when you start up.
6. Haven’t tried this, obviously. Since the glass roof doesn’t come with a screen, this is a must have for me in CA.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I chose only sport chrono and primarily since I need an easy way to change the drive mode. Used to switching modes easily with my current car so this is a must. Expect even more mode switching with this car.

The other options seemed nonessential. I'd like to hear more why #1 is a "definitely". This is my first Porsche so no idea really. Still have a few weeks to change the spec until it's locked :)

OP
OP

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
From what I have read, number 1 is the least essential. It's not an option standard on the Turbo S, this car is so low center of gravity I don't think anyone would ever notice.

Someones comment about PDCC for Taycan 4S:
"It is not on the base spec for the Turbo S and very low center of gravity means not likely critical to performance unless tracking. Cayenne Turbo S, yes. given it has a higher center of gravity."

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Which one of the following performance Taycan 4S config options provide a noticeable driving performance enhancements where they become essentials options a driver would enjoy?

5) Sport Chrono Package - $1,320 (have heard Sport Chrono provides the knob on the steering wheel allowing the drivers to select drive modes but those same options are accessible via the menu screens)

My approach to all of this is to configure the car with features that actually make a noticable "fun" in driving enhancement while balancing dollars spent. For example, if Rear Axle Steering include Power Steering plus is really just about ease of parking a car, that's a no go purchase for me, it's a small enough car to easily park or PDCC Sport may just be for people tracking cars regularly, I may take it to the track 2 times a year.

Also separately, does the following really make a noticeable sound difference or is it really just an expensive light tint which provides better UV protections and lense warmth from the sun in the car?

6) Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass (list of benefits per Porsche configurator below) - $1,130
  • UV protection
My questions too, Have them all on my config..

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
PDCC is an absolute must IMO. It makes such a difference my wife noticed it immediately when we were driving maybe 45mph around an exit ramp. "The car's not leaning at all...". The car feels so stable when driving at speed, almost like it's defying physics. Definitely get this. I would also recommend the Sport Chrono Package, but don't have experience with it. I do know that I like to switch modes often on my GTS, and I just think the dial on the wheel looks cool. Not a 'must have' IMO though.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag

• UV protection
Get the first 5 no matter what. They are in the Performance package......They are essential parts of what makes a Porsche a Porsche. The Thermally insulated glass is essential if you live in a hot or sunny area.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
PDCC is an absolute must IMO. It makes such a difference my wife noticed it immediately when we were driving maybe 45mph around an exit ramp. "The car's not leaning at all...". The car feels so stable when driving at speed, almost like it's defying physics. Definitely get this. I would also recommend the Sport Chrono Package, but don't have experience with it. I do know that I like to switch modes often on my GTS, and I just think the dial on the wheel looks cool. Not a 'must have' IMO though.
My counter argument to PDCC is that when the car (experience with 911 not Taycan obviously) has no body roll yes it feels stable but it is not fun nor engaging on the street. The limits just feel too high and there is no sense of what the car is doing in your bum. While this might lead to greater laptimes it is not the experience many of us want on the street. I never spec this in any Porsche after my experience with it at a Porsche event. Also with the Taycan's super low center of gravity I seen even less of a need for this.

As for Sport Chrono it is my understanding if you want access to Sport Plus driving mode and the Individual mode you need to spec Sport Chrono. If you don't you only get these 3 modes:
Range, Normal, SPORT

From the Porsche website under Sport Chrono:
"Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel including mode switch for selecting drive modes: Range, Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Individual"
"SPORT PLUS mode with performance oriented tuning of chassis, Porsche Active Aerodynamics and temperature control of the Performance Battery"
and
"Individual mode for the individual configuration of the settings for driving mode, chassis, chassis level and Porsche Electric Sport Sound"

Listed as "Standard features:"
Sport Mode
Range Mode
(I assume normal is default thus not listed)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Rear axle steering is a must on a heavy car like the Taycan.
It'll make it more agile and responsive in cornering and at (high/low) speed.
Essentially it's what makes a Porsche a Porsche.
All options are more or less to improve the Porsche experience, it only depends on your budget.
In all, it's just worth it.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered RWS (rear wheel steering) on my 2017 911 Targa (heavy 911 but not as heavy as Taycan)
I didn't notice it on the street or highway and never I tracked it. If it resulted in smaller turning radius in a parking lot or lane changes on the highway that's great but how would you ever know the difference because you can't compare A to B instantly.

I took delivery of my Targa at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and was provided with a loaner 911 Targa to drive on the test track as part of my delivery experience. The loaner did not have RWS. I was still able to have a blast on the kick plate, handling course, speed course and was able to drift the car in the wet skid pad. It did everything a Porsche does and did it well. I won't spec RWS again on a street car.

I don't agree at all with RWS being essential or making a Porsche a Porsche at all. What about all the 100s of Porsche's that have been "Porsches" without RWS all these years?
PDCC, RWS are over $5k in options that most drivers don't need and if you are like me don't want. Get some personal experience with these on an existing Porsche model that you can test drive (with and without) and decide for yourself if they are worth it.

Get PTV+ for the traction and torque distribution. I believe this will enhance the electric torque shifting and grip balancing even more so in the Taycan than on the mechanical AWD systems given the amount of instant torque available.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

tastes vary. Regarding the Chrono package: I think that the "cheap alarm clock" on the dashboard looks exceptionally out of place and stupid. I know that there are functions that probably justify it, but at least I don't like the style.

Regarding the stabilization, extra steering and torque vectoring: For the track men, why not. For the regular driver, why? I don't think they are essential, only if you are a driver that drives really fast.

But that is just an opinion, of course.

Cheers.

Pyry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 turbo
Country flag
Wouldn't take any of those. To me it's more like a heavy gt car than a sports car. Drove the Panamera 4 E-hybrid and it felt so nimble for the size I was thinking it must have the 4 wheel steering specced. Turned out it didn't. I'm sure the Taycan has very impressive handling out of the box for what it is.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I ordered RWS (rear wheel steering) on my 2017 911 Targa (heavy 911 but not as heavy as Taycan)
I didn't notice it on the street or highway and never I tracked it. If it resulted in smaller turning radius in a parking lot or lane changes on the highway that's great but how would you ever know the difference because you can't compare A to B instantly.

I took delivery of my Targa at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and was provided with a loaner 911 Targa to drive on the test track as part of my delivery experience. The loaner did not have RWS. I was still able to have a blast on the kick plate, handling course, speed course and was able to drift the car in the wet skid pad. It did everything a Porsche does and did it well. I won't spec RWS again on a street car.

I don't agree at all with RWS being essential or making a Porsche a Porsche at all. What about all the 100s of Porsche's that have been "Porsches" without RWS all these years?
PDCC, RWS are over $5k in options that most drivers don't need and if you are like me don't want. Get some personal experience with these on an existing Porsche model that you can test drive (with and without) and decide for yourself if they are worth it.

Get PTV+ for the traction and torque distribution. I believe this will enhance the electric torque shifting and grip balancing even more so in the Taycan than on the mechanical AWD systems given the amount of instant torque available.
I can agree to a certain extent.
Still, a Taycan has different weight distribution and also a very low CoG.
And it's longer so RWS should give it a bit extra.
But then again, it's just guessing and I think you have a better view at things cuz of your real world experience.
I haven't.
For me, it's not an option cuz it's standard on the Turbo S.

Last edited:

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wouldn't take any of those. To me it's more like a heavy gt car than a sports car.
Look past the weight. EVs have different properties than a heavy ICE GT like the Panamera; better aero, much much lower center of gravity, instant torque and Porsche figured out how to engineer the suspension on both a heavy and top heavy car, the original Cayenne, years ago and have been perfecting it since.

After being on this track @ PEC Atlanta myself in a 911 and then watching this video the Taycan is without a doubt a sports car (that also does GT things well too!):

Last edited:

Bikergal

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Boxster S, 2014 Cayenne
Country flag

• UV protection
My dealer told me there is no sun screen on the pano roof, FYI, if you live in a sunny climate you might want the tinted glass. Maybe Porsche’s way of selling that, I can’t believe they would not put a sunscreen on this car.
Sponsored