First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

I’ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

I‘ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 can’t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I can’t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

The Cons for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!
I agree with the consensus--keep the Carrera and buy a Taycan. There's no such thing as too many Porsches. Ask Jerry Seinfeld!
Sponsored

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Keep your 911 as others have suggested. Use it for sunny days! I've got a '91 964 911 manual and it's a fabulous car, drive it regularly in the summer and for PCA tours. But for a modern daily driver, the Taycan is a spectacular ride! Love the electric torque!

jakeCT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
missed: RX8 / current: Model 3, MYP / CT4 waitlist
Country flag
You don't have to. It sounds like his wife already made the decision, he just doesn't know it yet. Remember the old adage "unhappy wife, unhappy life".
Wife that’s encouraging a Taycan purchase.. I’d look at that as being very fortunate!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wife that’s encouraging a Taycan purchase.. I’d look at that as being very fortunate!
I was fortunate enough to meet my wife after being smitten with the Porsche bug. We had full alignment from day one and she has even been a bad influence encouraging me to get cars she knows I want. :)

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
22 Taycan is my first Porsche. I originally had tesla on order (and kept getting delayed) when my wife one day asked me what’s the best electric car? I said probably a Porsche. She said “Well then just get that.” True story.
Well... Topgear ranked it #1 EV if not mistaken so they must be right. 😁

JonnyG

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I owned a 911 Cab stick . . . . most fun car I ever drove (except maybe my MGB). When asked what was my favorite car, I always say the 911. My wife hated it. Owned several years of SLs after the 911. Now I own a Taycan. Love the Taycan. So much better than the SL and my wife loves it too - even though I'm the only driver. Happy wife, happy life.

AlexanderS

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40i G05, M4 CS, S560 coupe
Country flag
Hi folks,
Since we're talking about 911 here,
I want to ask, how is the back seats? Is it comfortable for 2-3 hours? My daughter is 9 years old, sometimes we go on mini trips. and I registered on the forum only because I was thinking about buying a taycan turbo or turbo s. But my thoughts lead me to 992 t or ts.
Now I drive my wife's x5. Sold the m4 cs. In the m4, my daughter was absolutely comfortable in the back seat (surprisingly, there is more space there than in the 8th series and the latest bentley continental. I've been eyeing the continental for a long time, but restyling is coming soon, and they are losing price very quickly (which I can't say about the 911, taycan (?)). In an absolute stupor, what to change.
Any experience with trips or “daily” using 992? Ready to buy roof box :rock:
Also thinking about the taycan restyling soon, but current I like more.
It will be my first Porsche and the place of living will be south of France which means good weather all year round.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Hi folks,
Since we're talking about 911 here,
I want to ask, how is the back seats? Is it comfortable for 2-3 hours?
As much as i love the 911, spending 2-3 hours on the backseat is close to medieval torture.
At 9yo maybe your daughter can survive and forgive you but an adult will probably never speak to you again ;)

To give you an idea on a convertible 911, on the back the seating position is very close from the rollercoaster one (except the seat isn't made of plastic)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As much as i love the 911, spending 2-3 hours on the backseat is close to medieval torture.
At 9yo maybe your daughter can survive and forgive you but an adult will probably never speak to you again ;)

To give you an idea on a convertible 911, on the back the seating position is very close from the rollercoaster one (except the seat isn't made of plastic)
When I had a 911, I only managed to convince one adult to ride on the back for approximately 10 minutes. On the way back, he decided to catch a ride with someone else. That was the only time I ever had anyone in the back seat of the 911 (didn't have kids back then). Any time I tried, people would try and then decide to ride with someone else or just drive their own car.

AlexanderS

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40i G05, M4 CS, S560 coupe
Country flag
When I had a 911, I only managed to convince one adult to ride on the back for approximately 10 minutes. On the way back, he decided to catch a ride with someone else. That was the only time I ever had anyone in the back seat of the 911 (didn't have kids back then). Any time I tried, people would try and then decide to ride with someone else or just drive their own car.
Yes, I understand about an adult, but I will only drive my daughter, who loves sports cars.

Noan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4S performance
Country flag
Don't you even dare! :). After 6 months you will be bored like me....... buy a 992! I learned my lesson...